Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you bought your first Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) I had a co-worker who lived with his Mom and bought her a Model S that she seldom used.

2) He let me borrow the Model S for a weekend. I took my family on a staycation in Beverly Hills with it. Family fell in love with it after that weekend.

3) In early 2019 in lieu of a test drive, Tesla gave you 7 days to return for a full refund if you did not like the car after delivery. I wasn't worried, since I had already "test driven" one for a weekend. After buying a Model S for Wifey, I bought myself a Model 3. Then I returned the Model 3 on Day 5, and they really did back out the transaction completely to the penny. Ended up buying another Model S for me. Best cars I've owned.

When you bought your first Tesla.

1) How many people did you know who owned a Tesla?

2) Did you ride in a Tesla before buying one?

3) Did you test drive one before you bought one?

1) 1 but never seen it as it is in another state
2)not until we test drove one
3) yes a used one. Then ordered ordered a new one that night!

So after watching some Tesla reaction videos it got me thinking about how many people have never ridden in or even considered a Tesla. Obviously most know them as the electric car leader. But once they actually experience the car for themselves they seem mostly shocked compared to their preconceived notions? So do you make it a point to let friends and family experience the car?

This is an interesting thread, im enjoying reading through it.

For me ( when I bought my model 3 in 2018)

1. None, although I had seen a few around, mostly model S and X but there were not that many around me in late 2018.

2. My only ride in one before I ordered it was my test drive (see below)

3. I was on my way to test drive a Audi S4, and actually was negotiating with a BMW dealer on an in stock BMW M3, that happened to be painted in a BMW individual color that I really liked (BMW stans will know what I mean by BMW individual ).

The negotiations on the BMW M3 were not going great, the dealer was sort of playing "I know what I got" with me, so I was going to go test drive an S4 and see if I wanted to order one of those. The test drive was scheduled for a friday afternoon so I took time off work to go do it.

I already had solar in 2018, and had heard about Tesla model 3s but they had a huge wait list (I thought). Since I had time I thought, "maybe the local tesla store has one I can drive just to see what its like." Im in Southern California, but the closest store to me at that time was about 50 miles away.

I called them, happened to get a manager on the phone who had joined tesla a year before but previously worked for BMW. We clicked on the phone, he said I have a model 3 performance you can test drive and I will go with you myself vs passing you off to a salesperson. Wife and I drove down there, we chit chatted while walking out to the car to go test drive it. He showed me auto park, (somewhat underwhelming at the time but a cool parlor trick), then we went for a drive.

I got to an open road behind the location that had almost no cars on it, he said, "go ahead, really get on it for a couple seconds". I said "ok..." I floored it....

My face got like the "When that VTEC kicks in hard, Yo!" meme (car people know what I mean, lol) and I was like:

Shutup and take my money.PNG

The deposit at that time was like either 2k or 2500 and I couldnt drop it fast enough when I got back from the test drive. I canceled the audi test drive, and stopped negotiating on the BMW M3 (they came back and lowered the price to my initial offer 2-3 weeks later but I passed). I also paid 71.5k for the car at that time, not including tax (posted my Order in another thread), and despite that I am still happy with the car almost 5 years later (which almost never happens). The wind noise on mine is more than I would like, but other than that, I have been very happy with it. Happy enough to sell my wifes X3 M40 and buy a model Y in 2022.

This is an interesting thread, im enjoying reading……
VTECH kicked in!! 🤣🤣

That is kind of what made me decide to start this thread. Wondering if people had the eye opening experience either on a test drive or from a friend. I know my car enthusiast friends will not appreciate the “EV” part at all. But that is not why we purchased the car. We mainly drive around town and road trips are few and far between. We wanted a different experience of not having to have oil changes, ICE maintenance and all that goes with that. I can imagine our test drive was about like yours. Expecting one thing and it was definitely more. I know it is not a “speciality vehicle” and I know it is not collectible in way, shape or form even though that is what we generally purchase. But it was just as fun and quick as anything else we have ever purchased. So why not have a fun daily driver? Now it will be interesting to see how friends get offended…🤣. Oil country probably isn’t the best place to try an EV! 🍿

Reactions: drdumont
VTECH kicked in!! 🤣🤣
You might get a kick out of this, lol. a while back, someone spotted a model 3 with honda badges.

I posted this in that thread:

vtec.PNG

So after watching some Tesla reaction videos it got me thinking about how many people have never ridden in or even considered a Tesla. Obviously most know them as the electric car leader. But once they actually experience the car for themselves they seem mostly shocked compared to their preconceived notions? So do you make it a point to let friends and family experience the car?
I have 3 friends who each own a Tesla. Rode in a friends M3 and drove it one time. We had a Volt and then a 2020 Bolt and just ordered a 2023 MY-LR on April 12th so we’re looking forward to driving it when it arrives. I had a severe case of Tesla infrastructure envy after we drove our Bolt 5,023 miles from Phoenix Az to Toronto Canada and back to Phoenix last October. Decided we would never do that again as the CCS infrastructure is not currently reliable and we’re both retirement aged and don’t need that kind of stress again.
We also have had Tesla roof solar for a few years which we love.

One
Once
3) Did you test drive one before you bought
No

I had read about them. I saw the original nosecone S featured at a business event and said, if they ever fix the front I’m buying one of those.

Similarly when I saw the headlights on the 3 I said, if they ever fix those I’ll buy another. So maybe in October.

Studied, researched and sorta drooled for a couple of years.
Saw a Model S <2014??> sit in my parking garage for 7 months before we learned it was a repo. Had I known, I could have bought it on the cheap from the bank.
1) Knew no one with a Tesla
Got a lot of ribbing from co workers about my interest
2) Never even sat in one until I picked up my TURO rental
3) Rented a Model 3 from TURO Jan 2020 for my yearly DAL-ABI-DAL weekend trip - 3 days, about 400 miles.
Encountered rain, blowing snow, subfreezing weather, Supercharger 35 miles from destination, sunshine. Learned about overnight freezing weather
battery drain, how to s t r e t c h out those last few miles to get to the S/C. Took family for a test drive on my return, ordered The Good Ship Venus that
evening.
Picked it up 4 weeks later, totally non techie, non auto enthusiast wife of 51 years asked me the next morning "whaddaya think they would give us for the
Caddy?". The Blue Bunny was delivered to my curb 3 weeks later (height of Covid nonsense - driver wearing scrubs, plastic full facemask, gloves, the
whole bit. The wheel and stalks were plastic wrapped. The only thing missing was one of those "Sanitized For Your Protection" strips hotels used to
put on toilet seats.

I had the first red Model 3 in our town, if I saw another drive through, I would bark at them. There are now 7 Teslas on my block. I've helped install 3 Wall
Chargers.

Upgraded my original M3 to LR Dual Motor AWD and white seats. Jonesing for a Model S.
Yeah, I like my Teslas.

Last edited:
I don't think this necessarily belongs in the Model Y forum but what a fun thread!

1. Three (one Roadster owner, two Model S owners).

2. Yes, had a couple rides in a Roadster, one ride in a Model S.

3. Yes, did a test drive in a Model S at a nearby Tesla Store, placed my order that day (March 14 2015).

Bruce.

Reactions: carcrazyguy

1). I did not know anyone with a Tesla

2). I had never been in a Tesla before.

3). I test drove the preowned Tesla MYLR before I drove it.

I purchased the MYLR in mid January of this year and really like it.

1: At least a dozen but probably more…I know more families with Teslas than not here in the Bay Area
2: Yes, I’ve ridden in quite a few friends’ Teslas (Model 3 and S)
3: Yes, extensively starting in June 2023. I test drove Models 3 and Y. I test drove the 3 (LR and RWD/LFP variants), and loved it, but knew that the sedan wouldn’t work for me. I test drove the Y at least 5 times (including back to back with the 3) both in San Francisco and in the East Bay. For the Y, I test drove the AWD variant, with the 4680 battery pack, as well as the LR, with the cut and weld chassis, to get a feel for the difference. My wife also took a Model Y LR for an overnight test drive; she borrowed it in Palo Alto, drove it home (an ~hour away), and then returned it the next day.

Reactions: carcrazyguy