Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who supplies Tesla shocks/struts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bumping this...Anyone learn anything about Tesla Y OEM struts/shocks?

We just took a 250 mile trip, central TX. At one point, my wife, sitting in the right rear seat, said, "Wow. If I were in an airplane bouncing this much, I'd be worried!" I had to agree, and this was on I20, newish concrete that just...wasn't...right...for the Tesla Y LR non-performance. I can't imagine how the performance version would have fared.

So now, I'm back in the position of seeking a solution. Comfort springs from UPP? Coilovers from UPP or MPP? I spoke at length with an approved UPP installer in the DFW region, and his conclusion was that the coilover, for my needs, would be overkill, since I don't think I'll ever be needing to adjust them. I'm just too old to want to deal with that (unlike my youth...sigh!)

I'd hate to be throwing away good quality dampers by swapping them for coilovers, with a minimal change in ride quality, IF the UPP Comfort Springs at less than 1/3 the overall cost would work.

Last edited:
I really think dampers/shocks are the answer of you are that unhappy.

From what I know - springs hold the weight of the car but don’t really cushion the ride.

I think you are best looking for new dampers or perhaps coil overs which is of course springs with **adjustable**!! dampening which is what I think you are seeking.

I googled the 1044461-01-E part number. A bunch of people were selling on E-bay. Apparently it's the same shock as on Model 3.
In one of the pictures you could see MANDO stamped into the shock tube. Apparently Mando is an OEM shock supplier. They appear to be based in South Korea.

• Informative
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
bumping this...Anyone learn anything about Tesla Y OEM struts/shocks?

We just took a 250 mile trip, central TX. At one point, my wife, sitting in the right rear seat, said, "Wow. If I were in an airplane bouncing this much, I'd be worried!" I had to agree, and this was on I20, newish concrete that just...wasn't...right...for the Tesla Y LR non-performance. I can't imagine how the performance version would have fared.

So now, I'm back in the position of seeking a solution. Comfort springs from UPP? Coilovers from UPP or MPP? I spoke at length with an approved UPP installer in the DFW region, and his conclusion was that the coilover, for my needs, would be overkill, since I don't think I'll ever be needing to adjust them. I'm just too old to want to deal with that (unlike my youth...sigh!)

I'd hate to be throwing away good quality dampers by swapping them for coilovers, with a minimal change in ride quality, IF the UPP Comfort Springs at less than 1/3 the overall cost would work.
As above, you need to replace the dampers, not just the springs, if you want to improve the ride quality. What you are describing is what many owners experience. Also many owners have fitted aftermarket springs and then realised it's not the real answer and then wished they'd gone for replacement coilovers in the first place. There's a lot of marketing hype around when it comes to replacement springs.

I really think dampers/shocks are the answer of you are that unhappy.

From what I know - springs hold the weight of the car but don’t really cushion the ride.

I think you are best looking for new dampers or perhaps coil overs which is of course springs with **adjustable**!! dampening which is what I think you are seeking.
You're probably right. Every time I replaced OEM dampers on my VW/Audis with Bilstein, the first 5k miles were extremely stiff. They loosened up, a bit, and/or, I just got used to them. Always ran them to 100k miles, and I'm wondering about coilovers.

Is it my imagination, or is the body of the coilover damper thinner/skinnier than an OEM strut? Does size matter here, for longevity? Heat dissipation? My perception of coilovers is they're purchased by enthusiasts that are constantly replacing/changing/upgrading their rides.

I'd love to hear from a happy coilover owner that says, "I'm at 100k miles, still going strong."

Really hoping that the new suspension from MPP works as well as many of the reviewer’s here have reported.
I just installed my MPP adjustable coilovers yesterday. I'm confident you'll be happy with them.

The weak point in the suspension is the stock Model Y shock. There's no easy way to say it nicely, it just plain sucks. Way under dampened for a vehicle of this size. It's hard to describe when going over concrete joints, the car just now floats with the MPP setup. You can definitely feel the KW shocks doing their thing because it's definitely noticeable, big improvement over the stock setup (2020 LR AWD Y with 19" Geminis). It's a little too soft for me, so I'm going to stiffen the shocks 2 settings to firm it up further.

But so far there are no aftermarket shock options right? I had the UPP mild springs ordered in February but decided to just cancel them since they were backordered until end of April due to manufacturing / shipping delays.

Due to the bumpiness in the rear seats, my kids infant/toddler kids fall asleep within 5 minutes, like getting a good rocking to sleep. However, as they get a little bit older, I'd like to fix that bumpiness for their comfort but I really don't want to spend 3.5k for a set and leave it suspension set up. I've already driven 15k miles on my car and as the driver, I don't really have any issues other than hearing the body flexing a bit when going into driveways and some more harsh road noise. I haven't rotated my tires at all so I'm curious about how long my tires will last.

Reactions: pt19713
But so far there are no aftermarket shock options right? I had the UPP mild springs ordered in February but decided to just cancel them since they were backordered until end of April due to manufacturing / shipping delays.

Due to the bumpiness in the rear seats, my kids infant/toddler kids fall asleep within 5 minutes, like getting a good rocking to sleep. However, as they get a little bit older, I'd like to fix that bumpiness for their comfort but I really don't want to spend 3.5k for a set and leave it suspension set up. I've already driven 15k miles on my car and as the driver, I don't really have any issues other than hearing the body flexing a bit when going into driveways and some more harsh road noise. I haven't rotated my tires at all so I'm curious about how long my tires will last.
I haven't looked to see what's available since last Fall, but at the time there were no standalone shock replacements available. If companies like KYB or Koni can get a loaner Y or work with a tuner shop, they can develop a system for the car, but until then, there's probably no development activity.

The benefit of going with a setup like MPP is that they can fine tune both the spring rate and the shock bound/rebound based upon the end goal, which in the case of most Model Y owners is a more comfortable ride. When you go with an a la carte setup, such as Hyperco Springs with a standalone shock, if one ever comes to market, you won't know if the shock will be valved properly to match the spring rate, especially if the spring has a high spring rate. It's pretty much trial and error until someone finds a good combination that works. Usually it's one test guinea pig that does most of the work for the community. I've done this before for my Miata and it's a slow and expensive process. I ended up with a Frankenstein suspension setup with KYB AGX adjustable coilovers for the front, Megan Racing adjustable coilovers in the rear. I found the KYBs to be undersprung in the back so I had to find a manufacturer with a stiffer, more firm setup in the rear.

Any, the MPP and UPP adjustable coilover systems aren't cheap, so they aren't for everyone, especially if you're going to pay someone to install it and depending on the amount you lower it, you may also need to spend another $400 for the adjustable rear camber arms. $2700 for the adjustable coilovers, $400 for the rear adjustable control arms, $700-800 for installation and alignment. That's $3800 on top of the purchase of the vehicle. I know MPP has spent some time fine tuning their setup, which is why I was confident going in before the installation that my expectations would be met.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
Man if I can just find some rear shock replacements.

Rear shock replacement is very simple. Front shock replacement involves removal of the strut/spring assembly and then spring compression...

Rears can be swapped in a matter of 15 minutes.

I haven't looked to see what's available since last Fall, but at the time there were no standalone shock replacements available. If companies like KYB or Koni can get a loaner Y or work with a tuner shop, they can develop a system for the car, but until then, there's probably no development activity.

The benefit of going with a setup like MPP is that they can fine tune both the spring rate and the shock bound/rebound based upon the end goal, which in the case of most Model Y owners is a more comfortable ride. When you go with an a la carte setup, such as Hyperco Springs with a standalone shock, if one ever comes to market, you won't know if the shock will be valved properly to match the spring rate, especially if the spring has a high spring rate. It's pretty much trial and error until someone finds a good combination that works. Usually it's one test guinea pig that does most of the work for the community. I've done this before for my Miata and it's a slow and expensive process. I ended up with a Frankenstein suspension setup with KYB AGX adjustable coilovers for the front, Megan Racing adjustable coilovers in the rear. I found the KYBs to be undersprung in the back so I had to find a manufacturer with a stiffer, more firm setup in the rear.

Any, the MPP and UPP adjustable coilover systems aren't cheap, so they aren't for everyone, especially if you're going to pay someone to install it and depending on the amount you lower it, you may also need to spend another $400 for the adjustable rear camber arms. $2700 for the adjustable coilovers, $400 for the rear adjustable control arms, $700-800 for installation and alignment. That's $3800 on top of the purchase of the vehicle. I know MPP has spent some time fine tuning their setup, which is why I was confident going in before the installation that my expectations would be met.

Where did you get your MPP installed in the DE area?

Labworx Development
3 LARWIN RD
SUITE C1-C2
CHERRY HILL NJ 08034

PHONE: (856) 888-1528
EMAIL: [email protected]

They did a great job, $600 for the install which includes the alignment. You'll also want the adjustable rear camber arms. About 5.5-6 hours.

Thanks.. I'll check them out once I get my MPP coils in.

Another question... how is the coil performance on consecutive bumps at a moderate speed? I ask because Philly has these uneven pothole ridden streets that the MYP suspension is lacking at handling... the bobblehead effect.

Thanks.. I'll check them out once I get my MPP coils in.

Another question... how is the coil performance on consecutive bumps at a moderate speed? I ask because Philly has these uneven pothole ridden streets that the MYP suspension is lacking at handling... the bobblehead effect.
This is where they perform the best. Going over concrete joints qt 50+ mph, the car rides really smooth. The car is still a little unsettled at 25-30 mph on rough roads. I might try softening the rebound and see if that helps.

Reactions: mark95476