Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would prefer Waze Navigation?

Who would prefer Waze navigation instead of Google maps?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never really got on with Waze when I had Android Auto - wasn't sure about the interface (maybe a bit too 'playful' for me?) and always stuck with Google, which worked well.

I'd like the option of Android Auto in the M3, but I can't see that happening tbh.

Reactions: Durzel
  1. Waze is owned by Google and I do suspect they use the same traffic and routing data.

They're still quite separate companies, staunchly so, a healthy rivalry between the google and waze mapping teams. Waze's routing/ETA algo is one of their closely coveted differences. They do share some date, e.g. hazards/closures reported by users in waze feed into google maps too.

If you type a postcode destination into waze it goes away to google to get lat/long coordinates for it, but after that it finds the road in Waze's map which is nearest to those coordinates and then uses waze maps and historic & real-time traffic/hazard data to get you a route to it.

Reactions: Neilio
I also used both Waze and Google maps on Android Auto in my pre-Tesla days.

My own experience was that Waze was (so it might have gotten better since) slow to react to improving traffic conditions. Perhaps my opinion is tarnished by a particularly fraught trip to Harwich to catch a ferry and being stuck in traffic on the A12, but Google Maps also seemed to suggest the better routes into Bristol on my daily commute.

Waze's hazard warnings, especially the speed cam notifications are much better, though. On longer trips now, I'll run Waze on my phone with the notifications routed through the phone speaker.

The way that Google Maps and Tesla display maps also seems much clearer to me, although I am colour blind. Waze may be fine for people with normal vision.

I'm not sure... but I'll use both.
Screenshot_20200725-123724_Waze.jpg

I would like the option. I was stuck in local traffic a couple of nights ago for 45 minutes because the police had closed the A1 in Hendon. All the Tesla Satnav wanted me to do was go round the block and come out onto the (blocked) A1 again. I had to get Waze out to ask it for alternative routes.

Does the Tesla Nav do this as I could not figure out how?

Waze users would mark the route as blocked and then subsequent travellers would be re-routed automatically. That's a nice feature Tesla does not have.

Also, SPEED CAMERA ALERTS!!!

Reactions: Neilio
1000 times yes I'd pick Waze over Teslas gmaps. which I understand isn't as accurate as a phones g maps for routing data.

Waze is the most accurate sat nav I've ever used. Really quick at getting route times. The ability to log hazards on the road, police, roadkills, broken down cars etc. is second to none. I'm really going to miss that when I give up my android auto.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I've got a Brodit mount for my iPhone that sits just behind the steering wheel. I have TomTom as I find the traffic and re-routing to be superior to anything else I've tried. Usually have the satnav running on the M3 as well. Ideally would have PocketGPSWorld cameralert running on another screen somewhere if I had room for it! I do like Waze and I used to do a lot of map editing in the not too distant past. Prefer TomTom especially in areas where it's hard to get an internet connection as maps are offline but updated frequently.

I've got a Brodit mount for my iPhone that sits just behind the steering wheel. I have TomTom as I find the traffic and re-routing to be superior to anything else I've tried. Usually have the satnav running on the M3 as well. Ideally would have PocketGPSWorld cameralert running on another screen somewhere if I had room for it! I do like Waze and I used to do a lot of map editing in the not too distant past. Prefer TomTom especially in areas where it's hard to get an internet connection as maps are offline but updated frequently.
I love in London and found Tomtom's routes quite stupid relative to Waze - Waze was like a well-informed local. Tomtom would get you there but much later

• Informative
Reactions: darkNstormy
Tried Waze on a trip from Phoenix to San Diego. It worked for about 5 minutes and then froze causing electronics on car dash MS, also to freeze. Turn signals speedometer all froze. Rebooted on the fly and about 1-2 minutes later everything came back. Did not use Waze again.

Reactions: zayn
I'm not a waze fan, tried it in it's early iterations, not sure but sounds like things have improved, i'm a tomtom fan though (I know!!! shudder!!!) and I like the traffic options there although the latest iterations on the iphone aren't as good as they were before. i'll just have to getused to the google mapping in the tesla, may try it out on my iphone so i get used to it!

Reactions: zayn
I’ve tried teslawaze on the in car browser. Seems to offer intelligent routing alternatives and displays camera alerts but having chosen a route, although it tracks I haven’t found:
Any way to get it to reroute if I go off the chosen route other than starting again
Display directions for turns
Display an eta or distance to go
Change units from km to miles when selecting a route
Provide any audio output.

am I missing something?
I’ve also had the screen lock up and seem to have to allow location tracking at frequent intervals.

Running waze on a separate device seems like a cop out when the car has its own browser.

I’ve tried teslawaze on the in car browser. Seems to offer intelligent routing alternatives and displays camera alerts but having chosen a route, although it tracks I haven’t found:
Any way to get it to reroute if I go off the chosen route other than starting again
Display directions for turns
Display an eta or distance to go
Change units from km to miles when selecting a route
Provide any audio output.

am I missing something?
I’ve also had the screen lock up and seem to have to allow location tracking at frequent intervals.

Running waze on a separate device seems like a cop out when the car has its own browser.
I've had the same experience with teslawaze, would be great if it would reroute and also if it would show the map in the direction you are driving.

If Teslawaze was developed by waze maybe. It's a third party website. From what I understand it doesn't have anywhere near the same functionality of Waze proper. Which makes sense. No way a third party website can get access to as many resources as a dedicated app.

I wish Tesla would just include Waze, or allow android auto

Reactions: exlatccatsa