Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, Tesla has been great at overpromising and under-delivering. So I am with you that no chance in Hades we'll see anything DBW for the yoke.

I'm still pissed that I had to spend $750 to get rid of the abomination they delivered the car with originally.

Owning a Model S Refresh has become an exercise in throwing good money after bad. So add the wheel to the dumpster fire of my hard earned money. As others have said, we probably have 3 more price cuts in the near future to get back to $70k MSRP.

Just got my yoke replaced by the new wheel through mobile service. They asked me if I wanted to keep the yoke (of course I said yes) but said they needed to keep the airbag for safety reasons.

More interestingly, they needed to make a configuration change through one of the ports under the screen (not the blue CAN connector on the right, but the white one on the left) - however, they did not have the correct adapter as apparently Tesla changed connectors to ethernet after the first batch of Model S refreshes (which my Plaid is one of those early ones). So they came back a couple of hours later with the correct adapter.

They entered Service Mode to get the car's software "unlocked", which allowed the tech to make his config updates, then pushed a firmware update (not the whole thing) which only took a few minutes. At the end, he pushed the entire software update (same version as I had before, FSD beta 11.3.6 aka 2022.45.15) which took the usual 40-45 minutes.

I'll post again later today after I've had a chance to drive it and include some photos of the new wheel versus the yoke versus the Model 3 wheel that I used to run thanks to @rhuber.

Just got my yoke replaced by the new wheel through mobile service. They asked me if I wanted to keep the yoke (of course I said yes) but said they needed to keep the airbag for safety reasons.

More interestingly, they needed to make a configuration change through one of the ports under the screen (not the blue CAN connector on the right, but the white one on the left) - however, they did not have the correct adapter as apparently Tesla changed connectors to ethernet after the first batch of Model S refreshes (which my Plaid is one of those early ones). So they came back a couple of hours later with the correct adapter.

They entered Service Mode to get the car's software "unlocked", which allowed the tech to make his config updates, then pushed a firmware update (not the whole thing) which only took a few minutes. At the end, he pushed the entire software update (same version as I had before, FSD beta 11.3.6 aka 2022.45.15) which took the usual 40-45 minutes.

I'll post again later today after I've had a chance to drive it and include some photos of the new wheel versus the yoke versus the Model 3 wheel that I used to run thanks to @rhuber.
Ok I drove with the wheel around the block, and it's pretty similar to the Model 3/Y wheel experience except without the turn signal stalks - still much better than the joke of a yoke.

The new wheel isn't as thick or as large as I thought it would be; at their widest points, here's how the 3 devices compare:

Yoke: just over 38cm (15")
New wheel: just over 37cm (14.5")
Model 3/Y wheel: just over 35mm (13.75")

Despite those numbers, the new wheel feels closer in size to the Model 3/Y wheel than the yoke, which is just aberrantly wide.

Some comparison photos you might enjoy:

IMG_7243.jpeg

IMG_7244.jpeg

IMG_7246.jpeg

IMG_7247.jpeg

IMG_7248.jpeg

IMG_7249.jpeg

IMG_7250.jpeg

As far as I know, either a new software update or a forced re-load of the current one. This was from the tech at a service center, and I assume that is all that you need, but I obviously have not tried it yet.

They do the software reload, which can be done from the service menu yourself, but they also connect their Toolbox laptop and change the settings in the car for the round wheel. What all that does in terms of changes to the system, I don't know. I do know it changes all the icons to wheels instead of yokes, but it might do other things like affect the nag on autopilot.

They do the software reload, which can be done from the service menu yourself, but they also connect their Toolbox laptop and change the settings in the car for the round wheel. What all that does in terms of changes to the system, I don't know. I do know it changes all the icons to wheels instead of yokes, but it might do other things like affect the nag on autopilot.
Yes we need to find out what this Toolbox 3 initialed toggle does in particular.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 52