Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. I’m even thinking about moving forward with an aftermarket option since the Tesla one won’t be available until March and that’s assuming they actually meet that timeline.

Looking at the picture of the new round wheel in the Tesla Shop ad, I don't see the buttons for the turn signals, horn, wipers, etc. Why would they put up a picture of something other than the actual product, or am I missing something here?

Looking at the picture of the new round wheel in the Tesla Shop ad, I don't see the buttons for the turn signals, horn, wipers, etc. Why would they put up a picture of something other than the actual product, or am I missing something here?
The buttons only show when lit up from behind. It may either they are off (although the car shows powered up), or more likely the steep angle and lighting make them not visible from that angle.

If you go to the Model S order page, and toggle between the Yoke and Round, neither image shows the buttons lit up and the angles are the same.

Once I got rid of my 50+ years of muscle memory, using a regular steering wheel, I actually very much like the yoke.
Parking lots were what took the most getting used to, but, after about 10,000 miles, it is very easy to maneuver. Yes, in parking lots in particular, a round steering wheel is probably a bit better, but for all other driving, I like the yoke, much, much better!

Once I got rid of my 50+ years of muscle memory, using a regular steering wheel, I actually very much like the yoke.
Parking lots were what took the most getting used to, but, after about 10,000 miles, it is very easy to maneuver. Yes, in parking lots in particular, a round steering wheel is probably a bit better, but for all other driving, I like the yoke, much, much better!
I like the yoke. The corners are much easier to grab when turning.

I like the yoke. The corners are much easier to grab when turning.
Once I relieved myself of my 70+ year muscle memory the yoke was OK and manageable. Seems like a bit of a gimmick, however. Not that all gimmicks are bad. It’s great but not my way to go, going forward. I’m using the EV Secret non-yoke wheel now and really like it. Tesla was smart offering a non-yoke alternative.

MXP owner here (sorry to intrude). Generally hate the yoke. Don't mind it in simple situations, but the horn solutions is insanely stupid, in my opinion. I plan to get a round wheel. BUT, I was assuming the horn on the retrofit would be in the center. Per a service tech, that may not be the case. I have not heard either way. Does anyone know?

I haven't looked into the third party solutions yet (in the beginning, they were all pretty funky looking). Do any of them have a centrally based horn?

MXP owner here (sorry to intrude). Generally hate the yoke. Don't mind it in simple situations, but the horn solutions is insanely stupid, in my opinion. I plan to get a round wheel. BUT, I was assuming the horn on the retrofit would be in the center. Per a service tech, that may not be the case. I have not heard either way. Does anyone know?

I haven't looked into the third party solutions yet (in the beginning, they were all pretty funky looking). Do any of them have a centrally based horn?
Very little chance there will be a center horn on aftermarket wheels, cause all the aftermarket wheels use the original core (electronics).

For myself, since I created this post, actually kinda got used to the Yoke. I still don't think it's great and I'm definitely getting the round steering wheel, but it's definitely not horrible. I can understand some people don't mind or even think it's better. Even the buttons do make sense in certain situations, like for example on the highway, the turn signal buttons on the wheel are maybe even better. For roundabouts not so much, but also not completely horrible.
At first I was like aaaarghhh this is sh*t, now it's ok. It's funny how quickly you adapt as human, cause I drove a model 3 again and was trying to shift on screen.

Agree on some levels, but not others. Driving-wise, I am neutral on the yoke. I like it on the highway. Don't like it at low speeds, local turns. I think the lack of a central horn outright dangerous. I prefer stalks over the haptic buttons. And, The roller ball for changing radio stations is too-low profile and I find myself frequently muting the radio, instead of changing stations.

All-in-all, massive compromises on safety and annoying compromises on everything else because Elon's vision of FSD took priority over these things.

That depends on personal preference. The round steering wheel provides a more classic look, while the yoke steering wheel may provide a more ergonomic driving experience. Ultimately, it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

That depends on personal preference. The round steering wheel provides a more classic look, while the yoke steering wheel may provide a more ergonomic driving experience. Ultimately, it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
“Ergonomic” is defined as having “efficiency and comfort”. The yoke is certainly not more efficient and comfortable than a rounded wheel. But it does look cool. And looks are definitely important.

Last edited:
“Ergonomic” is defined as having “efficiency and comfort”. The yoke is certainly not more efficient and comfortable than a rounded wheel. But it does look cool. And looks are definitely important.
Sorry, I disagree. In my 14,000 miles, I find the Yoke much more ergonomic for me. Since the bottom left and right now have a slight "corner" it makes it more comfortable while keeping the hand on the wheel to satisfy the FSD nag. Initially is seemed awkward, but once I developed new muscle memory, I like it much better.
I did not feel this way in the beginning. My 50 years of a round wheel made the yoke so unfamiliar.
I am a convert, and really love the yoke.
I would bet if it was analyzed ergonomically and bio mechanically, yoke would win…..just my opinion.

After a year and 16,000 miles with the yoke, I can say that it is definitely more comfortable and efficient.
On straightaways, I can rest my palms on the bottom; when turning the corners are easier to grab than a wheel.

Looking at the Tesla Store, I see that the retro-fit round wheel will be available in March. Looking at my calendar, I see that it is now March. Yet, it still is not available to order. Hard to believe that Tesla would be late in making a delivery promise (sarcasm !).

• Funny
Reactions: bllydia