Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Strikeout Isn't the End of the World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a third strike after using FSD for about a year. I started thinking about striking out and how bad it would be to have drive the car myself, especially if it happened on a trip.

Then I realized that even without FSD, I can still use Navigate on Autopilot which does most of the things I use FSD for. That is, it will still drive on the highway and on country roads (though not as well as FSD).

Reactions: mgs333
My car kept giving me strikes and "defeat device detected" whenever it was driving in FSD next to a semi on the highway. 3 strikes, all 3 times next to a semi and nothing else eventful happening. No warnings, no gentle white reminder- just straight from "everything ok" to "autopilot disabled". One time it was actually putting my hand on the wheel that triggered it, the other two times I wasn't touching the wheel (which doesn't matter for hours of driving, unless you're next to a semi apparently).

Now I just use Navigate on Autopilot and it's honestly better- FSD is too aggressive in making lane changes on the highway, and regular autopilot is just as good on the highway and on my local streets.

My car kept giving me strikes and "defeat device detected" whenever it was driving in FSD next to a semi on the highway. 3 strikes, all 3 times next to a semi and nothing else eventful happening. No warnings, no gentle white reminder- just straight from "everything ok" to "autopilot disabled". One time it was actually putting my hand on the wheel that triggered it, the other two times I wasn't touching the wheel (which doesn't matter for hours of driving, unless you're next to a semi apparently).

Now I just use Navigate on Autopilot and it's honestly better- FSD is too aggressive in making lane changes on the highway, and regular autopilot is just as good on the highway and on my local streets.
Keeping your hands on the wheel as advised will Likely free you from Ever getting a strike.

I always kept my hands on the wheel and got 2 phantom strikes over 3 months. At the end of the drive dialog pops up with something like 'Telemetry data showed inappropriate use...', without any warnings during the drive.
Is that a Warning or a strike. When you get a Strike it gives a red screen and Instantly disables AP or FSD for the drive at that moment.

I always kept my hands on the wheel and got 2 phantom strikes over 3 months. At the end of the drive dialog pops up with something like 'Telemetry data showed inappropriate use...', without any warnings during the drive.
Exact same thing happened to me. Grabbed the wheel (because I didn't like the truck next to me, not because the system told me to), got an immediate strike and it disabled. Something's off with their "telemetry data". It's realistically a software bug because I got zero warnings beforehand, and you're definitely supposed to get at least one warning during the drive to put your hand on the wheel before getting the strike.

Last edited:
Exact same thing happened to me. Grabbed the wheel (because I didn't like the truck next to me, not because the system told me to), got an immediate strike and it disabled. Something's off with their "telemetry data". It's realistically a software bug because I got zero warnings beforehand, and you're definitely supposed to get at least one warning during the drive to put your hand on the wheel before getting the strike.
Key being “grabbed the wheel”. If your hands are On the wheel it will not require grabbing or strikes.

What happens at the current moment if you strikeout? I know in the past you were out of luck until the deity that is Elon decided it was time to give you a second chance. Is there a hard strikeout time now? I currently have 3 strikes so I'm a bit on the nervous side. Ive had beta since 10.2 in 2021.

Key being “grabbed the wheel”. If your hands are On the wheel it will not require grabbing or strikes.
You appear to have missed aset's post above- he gets them with hands on at all times. Also, are we just ignoring that they did away with the gentle white reminders of the old days when it asked you to put your hand back on the wheel? It's strange to go straight from nothing to strike. Even more strange that it has only happened for me 100% of the time when I'm next to a semi.

What I find so interesting is that this behavior only happens when FSD is enabled. Now that I'm struck out, I literally never have to touch the steering wheel when autopilot is enabled and it doesn't care.

You appear to have missed aset's post above- he gets them with hands on at all times. Also, are we just ignoring that they did away with the gentle white reminders of the old days when it asked you to put your hand back on the wheel? It's strange to go straight from nothing to strike. Even more strange that it has only happened for me 100% of the time when I'm next to a semi.

What I find so interesting is that this behavior only happens when FSD is enabled. Now that I'm struck out, I literally never have to touch the steering wheel when autopilot is enabled and it doesn't care.
I was actually replying to your post directly as noted. As for asets post I replied to that also which he provided no explanation. You are given a strike at the End of a ride. It gives it At the point of error and terminates use at that point until you pull over and reset the car. There is no question they are continually modifying the warning parameters and time and we have no control over that other then keeping hands ON the wheel as directed. Truck or not.

I was actually replying to your post directly as noted. As for asets post I replied to that also which he provided no explanation. You are given a strike at the End of a ride. It gives it At the point of error and terminates use at that point until you pull over and reset the car. There is no question they are continually modifying the warning parameters and time and we have no control over that other then keeping hands ON the wheel as directed. Truck or not.
We're going to have to agree to disagree. One of my strikes was with my hands on the wheel. About 15-20 seconds after placing my hand on the wheel, it gave me the red screen and disabled autopilot for the rest of the ride. I'm certain that my hand being on the wheel is what caused it, because, before the last update, the only time I'd ever get the gentle white warning to place my hands on the wheel.... is when my hand was already on the wheel. It trained me to not touch the wheel because my hand was clearly upsetting it. After the last update, I never get the white gentle reminders anymore, just nothing or red strikes.

One of my strikes was with my hands on the wheel.
I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but Tesla requires torque to be applied to the steering wheel (or some other input via steering wheel controls). That is, physical contact with the wheel is not sufficient; there are no tactile sensors on the steering wheel.

I mention this because I could easily imagine someone resting their hands lightly on the wheel without providing any torque input and getting a strike as a result. If torque is being applied regularly (e.g. gently opposing the turning of the wheel or gently applying a turning force while the car is going straight) then getting a strike suggests that the torque sensor is busted.

Reactions: Yelobird
I thought my explanation was pretty clear - in both cases I drive the car, let FSD do its thing, nudge the wheel when asked to, finally reach the destination and upon switching to "Park" see a dialog box mentioned above.
FSD did not stop at any time, neither did I see a red steering wheel.
When I got a real strike (been talking to a plumber while driving back home), it was really apparent.

I’m annoyed at some of the random strikes I’ve gotten while paying full attention.

That being said going a week without FSD when you use it 90% of the time got me pretty upset. Considering I’m paying $200 a month it was like a $50 penalty.

FSD returned for me after my 5 strikes exactly 1 week later and reset the strikes.

I’m annoyed at some of the random strikes I’ve gotten while paying full attention.

That being said going a week without FSD when you use it 90% of the time got me pretty upset. Considering I’m paying $200 a month it was like a $50 penalty.

FSD returned for me after my 5 strikes exactly 1 week later and reset the strikes.
The penalty was not following the purchase rules. Hopefully next round you’ll get more time. 3 years I still only have 1 strike which was Fully my fault for grabbing the phone. I deserved it.