Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are CPOs in such bad shape?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very surprised to see how scratched many of the CPO Model S are. Typically when car dealers post a CPO car for sale, they would thoroughly inspect the car and fully detail it. They would take care of any & all cosmetic problems both exterior and interior.
However when i look at recent CPOs , many are dirty and scratched everywhere. Do they arrive in better condition than shown in the pictures?

2016 Model S 75D VIN 5YJSA1E29GF142123 $57,200$744 /mo. New York
2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E29GF142123 | False, Fa | Tesla

2016 Model S 75D VIN 5YJSA1E2XGF157567 $49,900$629 /mo. New York 29,235 miles
2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E2XGF157567 | False, Fa | Tesla

I am very surprised to see how scratched many of the CPO Model S are. Typically when car dealers post a CPO car for sale, they would thoroughly inspect the car and fully detail it. They would take care of any & all cosmetic problems both exterior and interior.
However when i look at recent CPOs , many are dirty and scratched everywhere. Do they arrive in better condition than shown in the pictures?

Tesla did away with CPO sometime early last year ..you are buying a used car ..not even sure they list as CPO anymore ...since a lot of these were lease return probably accounts for owners not taking care of as much as if they owned ..:p:eek:

Tesla did away with CPO sometime early last year ..you are buying a used car ..not even sure they list as CPO anymore ...since a lot of these were lease return probably accounts for owners not taking care of as much as if they owned ..:p:eek:
This. These are basically used cars with extended warranty.
No work has gone into fixing the appearance of the vehicle

Literally some cars you see they’re not even washed. I’m guessing it’s A LOT easier for tesla to sell a used car than CPO as they are clearly short staffed

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide and P85_DA

It is because you, the one with the money, choose to fork over $50K in a manner you would not otherwise, for any other product or service.

Reactions: darxsys
I’ve purchased luxury used cars from private dealers and even those were ‘reconditioned’ enough to look clean and saleable. With the exception of brakes and tires which are usually done after a sale, luxury used cars (50k and up) are generally inspected and fixed up to as close to original condition as possible. Perhaps others have a differing opinion?

What Tesla is getting away with is unreal.
Wait until Audi, Porsche, VW and the rest start coming out with their EV’s...finally real competition may make Tesla either wake up or...well...I don’t wish for the alternative...

Reactions: Vitaman and darxsys
I mean they are giving you the warranty to fix stuff that isn’t cosmetic so I don’t really see the big problem, as for cosmetic stuff I never heard of a dealer fixing cosmetic stuff on used cars before selling.

No CPO I ever got from BMW/Audi were acceptable in the paint department before I handed it in to my detailer (or did the work myself). At best they had been rinsed off before put in the showroom but never even a full clean (tree sap and such still present).

Wait until Audi, Porsche, VW and the rest start coming out with their EV’s...finally real competition may make Tesla either wake up or...well...I don’t wish for the alternative...
People have been saying that for years and the best Audi could do was a 200 mile range EV that’s gonna do 180 miles in the real world. 170 miles after some battery degradation, and 140 miles in bad weather.
Not only that but no automaker has taken up the task of building a charging network. I’m not talking about a cross country charging network, at least a few around a highly populated and highly traveled corridors.... nope nothing. Because no automaker is really invested in EVs

Reactions: StarLog and P85_DA
No CPO I ever got from BMW/Audi were acceptable in the paint department before I handed it in to my detailer (or did the work myself). At best they had been rinsed off before put in the showroom but never even a full clean (tree sap and such still present).

... ever had BMW/Audi insist on a non-refundable deposit but not let you see the car until hand-over day.? ...

I’ve purchased luxury used cars from private dealers and even those were ‘reconditioned’ enough to look clean and saleable. With the exception of brakes and tires which are usually done after a sale, luxury used cars (50k and up) are generally inspected and fixed up to as close to original condition as possible. Perhaps others have a differing opinion?

What Tesla is getting away with is unreal.

They are not "getting away with" anything. We, the ones with the money, keep giving it to them and enable these policies, like Apple fools who bought and will buy anything (Jobs) told them to buy. The cure for such bad policy is to take your money elsewhere or delay your gratification long enough to effect change. You won't die without a Tesla. The Cool Club can do without you.

Tesla will not survive as a car company. It will sell the assets and technology to a real car company, and you will have customer service appropriate to the level you'd expect from a luxury maker. Elon will then concentrate on profitable rockets.

Last edited:
... ever had BMW/Audi insist on a non-refundable deposit but not let you see the car until hand-over day.? ...

Nope but I never seen them give you a real warranty once their ”generous” 2 year warranty runs out either on a CPO. I usually got a half assed ”CPO warranty” for 1-2 years which had much less coverage than the original one. Some stuff is better some is worse with the Tesla way.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Nope but I never seen them give you a real warranty once their ”generous” 2 year warranty runs out either on a CPO. I usually got a half assed ”CPO warranty” for 1-2 years which had much less coverage than the original one. Some stuff is better some is worse with the Tesla way.

I think the generous CPO policies will also disappear. They are there to inspire confidence to purchase their used cars to out-weigh the non-customer service and to take them out of inventory. The generous policy will likely become too expensive to maintain.

Bought my used 2013 P85 from a 3rd party car dealer, with 55k miles.
It came with the following:

New Vehicle Limited warranty
Begins Jul 15 2016
Begins at 35811 miles
Expires Jul 15 2022 <-- on my birth day,,lol
Expires at 85811 miles

85 kWh Battery Warranty
Begins Feb 26 2014
Begins at 35811 miles
Expires Feb 26 2022
Expires at Unlimited miles

Drive Unit Single Motor Warranty
Begins Feb 26 2014
Begins at 35811 miles
Expires Feb 26 2022
Expires at Unlimited miles

I was very happy to receive this from the purchase, at no extra charge.

Last edited:
People have been saying that for years and the best Audi could do was a 200 mile range EV that’s gonna do 180 miles in the real world. 170 miles after some battery degradation, and 140 miles in bad weather.
Not only that but no automaker has taken up the task of building a charging network. I’m not talking about a cross country charging network, at least a few around a highly populated and highly traveled corridors.... nope nothing. Because no automaker is really invested in EVs

I’m all for Tesla! I’m just not ignoring whats coming with my head in the sand lol. Have you seen the Latest specs on the Taycan coming in under a year? And that’s estimated. As battery pricey fall, we never know what range will actually be on base and premium lines.

There are billions currently being spent on an entire electric line up for VW group and a global charging infrastructure. VW decided they needed to lead the way for electric after the whole diesel scandal. It’s their new mission and they may even find a way to piggy back off the Tesla grid. And why not? Tesla becomes an energy company as well. It’s that or they will die as a car company only. They need to step up the service game.

The point is even used car dealers have better service and reconditioning than Tesla.

I can admit...I absolutely love the car...not a fan of the company and how’s it’s run.

Attachments

• 554C826A-A332-4079-9CF4-3AFAF4FAF535.png
    554C826A-A332-4079-9CF4-3AFAF4FAF535.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: Vitaman and darxsys

lol- that's the craziest part of the whole thing. It's pretty hard to think of a more customer-hostile policy even amongst used car dealers. That's the kind of policy you'd expect from some fly-by-night business that plans to go out of business the next day and is trying to squeeze as much money as possible from anyone who walks through the door - no regard for customer satisfaction, future sales or word of mouth.

I could *maybe* see justification for it if the cars truly were "CPO" and reconditioned AND if the deposit included any shipping fees. But charging $2500 to haul a dirty, dented car off an auction lot? Please.

Last edited: