Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are P85D's "cheap" now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From tonight's Q3 Investor letter: "Model S and X Performance mix declined roughly 4-fold since 2015"

I don't recall at what point P90D arrived, but this speaks to the dramatically higher production of P85D and what over-supply does to price.
I assume that was planned by Tesla to maximize their profit (sell less but at higher profit). It used to be $10K from 60 to 85, $22K (IIRC) from 85 to P85+. Now it's $23K from 75D to 100D, and then another $35K to P100D. For less than $13K on top of S P100D price you can pick up two S75D's (two federal rebates help). In California it may be even closer with their state rebate too.

Sweet news tv_aaron, enjoy my friend! 2100 miles is hard core.

Quick Sit Rep from my side. Just back from a 2 day "death or victory" dash up into Germany yesterday/today. P85D was again the weapon of choice and certainly the most capable vehicle out there on the wasteland of the German A5. Punters aplenty, but they were crushed. Dignity of the species was upheld. SuperCharging along the way was flawless again.

Reactions: MC408 and Russell
I know this is a P85D thread, but as the owner of a great P85, I look at all available cars. Can someone explain a P85 with 29500 miles for $43,800? How trashed could the car be with less than 30K miles?

I thought I got a great deal at $56,400. Can there be $13,000 worth of dings on a car that comes with a four year warranty?

Reporting back after picking up my Model S last weekend in Chicago and driving it back 2100 miles. In pretty solid condition. Interior was flawless except for a squeaking seat. A few hairline scratches on the outside that weren't documented but not enough for me to refuse delivery

Congrats @tv_aaron !

FYI. I had the same squeaking seat and found out (via TMC forum) the service center uses this product,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

I picked some up and voila! Squeaking seat is gone!

Squeak between driver seat and armrest...

• Love
Reactions: TapHabit
I know this is a P85D thread, but as the owner of a great P85, I look at all available cars. Can someone explain a P85 with 29500 miles for $43,800? How trashed could the car be with less than 30K miles?

I thought I got a great deal at $56,400. Can there be $13,000 worth of dings on a car that comes with a four year warranty?

A car can be plenty trashed regardless how many miles are on the vehicle, so that’s probably not the best indicator. Curb rash, scrapes or dents on the fenders, Door Dings, ect can all happen at any time.

Aside from that, there are plenty of p85s for under $45k, lowest right now $36k so I would just chalk it up to the changing market. At $56k you can get a nice p85d today where when you bought your p85, it was a good deal at the time, but not be so much today.

Reactions: MC408