Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people buying new ICE cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visit rural places that are difficult in an EV. Both visiting property I own as well as doing landscape photography for fun. I probably should not rationally be using an EV.

In the future a model Y with a 25% range bump as well as more level 3 rural chargers will make EV more practical for more drivers.

The other reason I would not choose EV is sound, gears and weight. I greatly prefer the Boxster over the Roadster.

Average cost of a new car in the US is $41,000 before maintenance, fuel etc. so the average total cost of ownership of a Tesla is lower than all cars in US. Also, time to refill is 3 seconds at home and under 15 minutes on the road if only filling to 80%.

Math! lol

yes, 3 seconds to plug in... and overnight to charge. Big difference.

Longer roadtrips are still a pain with EVs. Depending on each, 5 hours extra on a 1k mile trip, is not acceptable. I'm one of those. Since I got my Model S, I rented all sorts of cool ICE cars when going on longer roadtrips.

Math! lol

Longer roadtrips are still a pain with EVs. Depending on each, 5 hours extra on a 1k mile trip, is not acceptable. I'm one of those. Since I got my Model S, I rented all sorts of cool ICE cars when going on longer roadtrips.
It charges about an hour or two every night, but what do I care how long it takes then. I'm sure I'm much more rested than you on your ICE car trips by letting Autopilot drive and getting out to stretch and walk around for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours of riding.

15 minutes every 2-3 hours of riding

Again. Math! lol

I'd like to see an EV that you can charge for 15 mins - drive 3 hours - charge 15 mins - drive 3 hours and so on.

With autopilot yes, I don't disagree that you end up much more rested when you arrive but this is again personal preference. On my last long trip I had an Alfa Stelvio rented and it completely ruined me. In a good way. It's amazing how good it handles and it was a dream to drive.

This is an interesting conversation. let me sum it up: Anyone who doesn't buy what I buy, is an idiot, dumb, stupid, etc etc etc.
There is such a disconnect between many of you and the rest of the country. Maybe stop looking down your nose and be a little more understanding.
43 million households are renters... 35% of the entire country.
Millions more own their homes, but have no garage or driveway, many park on the street.
Basically, for half the drivers out there, the ability to plug in an EV at night is impossible or incredibly inconvenient.

I have to laugh every time I see promo photos of the Tesla solar roof, or cgi pics of a house with Teslas in the drive. It's always a million dollar house,
with a $100k roof, and 200k of cars in the driveway. Ok, this isn't real life for most people. They can't afford a luxury auto, nor do they want to get a cheaper
EV the size of a tuna can. Tesla basically makes toys for white people who have 6 figure incomes.

Get some perspective and realize that insulting or lecturing others is no way to win them over. and please don't brag about getting a $7500 tax credit for buying a 90k luxury automobile.

Math! lol

!failedmath
gas cars fillup in minutes, EV in HOURS. Most people can't or don't want to wait or plan.

Also Elon's shenanigans put some off, and there aren't yet great EV solutions besides Tesla. Some he inspires, others he turns off. He has done both a different times. I feel over all his actions speak louder than words, but that's not so for everyone.

His actions & words on pedophilia, weed, and covid have been upsetting. Those aspects of his personality can be conflated with Tesla, and I don't think him tweeting about those topics helps accelerate us to a sustainable future.

Reactions: Exelion
Can't buy cars that don't exist... Current S/X debacle is a perfect example. My X lease is up in September and I had planned on leasing another one but looks like Tesla screwed up yet again and that won't be an option. Not many other options out there for what I need so I'll probably end up with a Jeep Gladiator or something along those lines. Do I want to buy an ICE? Not really but again, you can't buy what doesn't exist...

Jeff

Reactions: InternetDude