Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people buying new ICE cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because 90% of the people think EV's are glorified golf carts that are really slow, with batteries that have very little range, no where to charge, will have to be replaced every couple of years, and easily catch on fire.

We need lvl2 chargers at every gas station at a minimum. Also more more superchargers for us.
I understand your idea of helping someone stranded in middle of nowhere to be able to charge at a gas station,
but it would be like 20 miles for an hour, so no a good use of real estate land in general, except in rural area.

More logical is to instal L2 plugs where people park, such as any parking lot, supermarket, shopping mall, restaurant, movie theater, campus...

Something coming in Europe, is to provide some plugs in the streets by using the existing power installed for urban lighting.
Since electrical lamps get replaced with LED, there is not too much need of huge electric power anymore.

I understand your idea of helping someone stranded in middle of nowhere to be able to charge at a gas station,
but it would be like 20 miles for an hour, so no a good use of real estate land in general, except in rural area.

More logical is to instal L2 plugs where people park, such as any parking lot, supermarket, shopping mall, restaurant, movie theater, campus...

Something coming in Europe, is to provide some plugs in the streets by using the existing power installed for urban lighting.
Since electrical lamps get replaced with LED, there is not too much need of huge electric power anymore.
We have that already, but it definately needs to be expanded...2 spots for a grocery store needs to be like 20.

-Infrastructure certainly is growing fast, but its not to the point where it's everywhere convenient yet. Places that could use L2's need to be thought out a lot more carefully, mainly, places that people spend lots of time at, like malls, theaters, stadiums, fair complexes, hotels (especially!), libraries, museums, etc. But when I get to said places, the most I've ever seen are six stalls, all taken. Usually it's zero. Places that need DC fast charge are gas stations, truck stops, and all the exits off the interstates between cities.

-People tend to hybrids, because it works similarly to what they already know-fill it up with gas, except hybrids can go much further and use less gas. A typical customer will have much difficulty in comprehending the plug-in hybrid concept, let alone EV's. Slap a lower price tag on these and this pill is much easier to swallow.

-300 mile range EV's are still in their infancy, and those that state they are, don't typically get that range with normal driving (and usually get much less than that). What really hurts is the EPA range estimates advertised. When a car states 264 miles of range we (as EV owners) know it doesn't really go that far but new customers think it will. After buying said car, they think they feel cheated and complain loudly to the rest of the non-EV owning world that EV's are short range BS cars. Never mind that MPG ratings aren't accurate either, this still does not help. We really do need 400, 500 mile range cars.

-Long-range EV's are much more expensive than hybrids. Yes, there's incentives, but people have to really look and work to get those. Not only that, they have to look for EV's, as dealers aren't going to put them out front. yes, I know Mach-E is pushed, but that's hype-wait a few months and it will go to the back of the dealer lot like all the rest of the Leaves and Prime Prii.

-No huge strides in publicity. As well as Tesla is doing (remarkably!), they don't advertise on TV. Carmakers are still pushing ICE cars all over the commercials, and a few EV's are showing up, like VW, Kia and Hyundai, but not nearly as much as mainstream ICE vehicles.

-Still some missing vehicle types. No trucks. No minivans. No outdoor rugged SUV's. Granted, these are coming soon, but they're not here yet.

-We still have a LONG ways to go for mass market EV adoption.

Got in the ICE car the other day - $hit, f uck, ba$tard, the tank was not full, only 1/4 full actually.
Got the the EV and it's exactly where it is every time I get in....perfect, bliss, blast off, no warm up...
I would not own an EV is home charging was not an option... and if I couldn't charge at home I'd fix that at any cost to own an EV.

I don't judge, but people are really dumb. Read anything on reddit, facebook, etc. for confirmation.

Got in the ICE car the other day - $hit, f uck, ba$tard, the tank was not full, only 1/4 full actually.
Got the the EV and it's exactly where it is every time I get in....perfect, bliss, blast off, no warm up...
I would not own an EV is home charging was not an option... and if I couldn't charge at home I'd fix that at any cost to own an EV.

I don't judge, but people are really dumb. Read anything on reddit, facebook, etc. for confirmation.
Thats why I still loved my Prius Prime(almost got a rav4 prime instead of Y).

I will never own a car that I have to put gas in, $4.09 for regular and you are supporting the fossil fuel industry.
1619211825916.png

A hybrid car is the worst of both - master of nothing.

Also, I purchased all renewables as a choice on my electric bill. Now have solar, but any overages will still be the renewable. You have to do your part, or not.
But I prefer to walk the walk.
I didnt buy a Tesla to save money or the environment. Speed, comfort, tech. I have a prius Prime and it was like half the price and super cheap to run even just on gas, even at 4 bucks.

im surprised too - I have a lot of friends that are fascinated by my tesla and have come along for rides etc but I haven't been able to convince anyone to go electric - they all buy or lease a lexus, BMW or Audi :rolleyes: I've not gotten to use a referral code once even in 4 yrs of ownership.

I think if there's more incentives, for example if our work had EV preferred parking or better yet free or cheap charging that might be an incentive? They ought to give HOV access for life for all ZEV electric cars (not the PHEV/hybrids) and maybe even phase out carpooling and incentivize EV and make it an "EV" lane.