Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did I have to tap key card to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per photo...

I did have it with me but I did panic for a second...
Likely due to your phone's bluetooth either not being switched on, or for some reason the bluetooth not connecting to the car.

I'm sure you do this already but you should ALWAYS keep one of the key cards with you, even if the phone key is activated. There have been some stories of people having only their phones and then running out of battery and then can't do anything.

Happy driving! :)

I've had this happen to me a few times after returning to await supercharging to complete. It seems to occur if I have returned from a distance away, then sat in the car for >10 or so minutes then not moved away far enough away from the car (unplugging seems not to be far enough). Then when attempting to drive, key card required.

I mentioned about needing keycard on occasion to a Tesla service guy who just happened to be supercharging at same location and he also mentioned about needing to move far enough away from car.

I'm not talking about turning up to charge and just sitting in the car which is quite common, I'm talking about leaving the car and returning early then sitting in the car for extended period of time.

For $350 (and a little incision in you hand) you can never worry about not having a keycard again... + (you can open office doors and have secure online OTP codes)