Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just canceled mine. Plain and simple too many service issues with the brand during the past year. Coupled with the decrease in supercharger rollout activity and excessive wait time. I am going to order a Bolt when it is available on the East Coast. Bolt is uglier but other than that seems on par with the 3 and it is much cheaper as I do not believe the 3 will be available for less than 45k before mid to late 2018

We all have to make the choices that fit best with our situations - hopefully yours works out for you. I can't say positively but I don't think you're right about only the expensive ones being produced first. Also, you may end up waiting longer for a Bolt on the East coast than a Model 3.

I just canceled mine. Plain and simple too many service issues with the brand during the past year. Coupled with the decrease in supercharger rollout activity and excessive wait time. I am going to order a Bolt when it is available on the East Coast. Bolt is uglier but other than that seems on par with the 3 and it is much cheaper as I do not believe the 3 will be available for less than 45k before mid to late 2018
What I believe is that the 'independent franchised dealerships' for Chevrolet will happily place an upcharge to 'what the market can bear' on every BOLT they get because it is superior to the BMW i3 which has a higher base price. I also believe that Tesla Motors will sell you exactly the car you request and that at a Production rate approaching 8,000-to-10,000 units per week they won't be able to 'play favorites' and only fill high end requests for Model ☰ for several months, so if you want the $35,000 car you will get the $35,000 car in a timely fashion relative to your Reservation date and confirmation of your order placement. I believe the BOLT is on par with another vehicle the EPA rated as a 'small station wagon', the Honda FIT, which is 'much cheaper' (by about $20,000) and actually has a larger passenger compartment. My guess is that the BOLT won't be available on the East Coast, other than a couple of CARB States (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Maryland, Florida) maybe, prior to mid-to-late 2018 (and possibly NEVER, if GM gets their way). Rots'-O-Ruck getting it sooner and stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
in 21 pages, like 2 people have actually cancelled their resevation..
I gave up before 21 pages but your observation seems to be valid based on the pages I scanned. I looked at this thread to see if anyone shared my concern, at least enough to cancel. I have a new S 60. Yes, I am one of those Model 3 reservations that gave into the sub-$70k enticement (after tax rebate and referral fee). But I intend to keep my M3 reservation for now. Here's my major concern: We keep our cars for ten years or so and I suspect at the end of ten years we will basically have a throw away car. That will hurt but will hurt doubly if we add a M3. I know some people think an affordable battery swap will be available down the road but I'm skeptical. Anyone else cancelling or thinking about it for the same reason?

I gave up before 21 pages but your observation seems to be valid based on the pages I scanned. I looked at this thread to see if anyone shared my concern, at least enough to cancel. I have a new S 60. Yes, I am one of those Model 3 reservations that gave into the sub-$70k enticement (after tax rebate and referral fee). But I intend to keep my M3 reservation for now. Here's my major concern: We keep our cars for ten years or so and I suspect at the end of ten years we will basically have a throw away car. That will hurt but will hurt doubly if we add a M3. I know some people think an affordable battery swap will be available down the road but I'm skeptical. Anyone else cancelling or thinking about it for the same reason?
I think it more likely that every other car in your personal stable that aren't Tesla branded will be your 'throw away' rides. I think that for likely the next fifteen years or so, Tesla vehicles will maintain their value at a level to make Honda and Toyota envious. You would probably give away your Tesla before you threw it away in any case. :D

Reactions: landis
What I believe is that the 'independent franchised dealerships' for Chevrolet will happily place an upcharge to 'what the market can bear' on every BOLT they get because it is superior to the BMW i3 which has a higher base price. ...

Dunno. My dealer has fixed pricing listed on their 18 Bolts, but sadly, right at MSRP. I don't pay MSRP.

Only the leases get a discount, and I don't lease.

I think it more likely that every other car in your personal stable that aren't Tesla branded will be your 'throw away' rides. I think that for likely the next fifteen years or so, Tesla vehicles will maintain their value at a level to make Honda and Toyota envious. You would probably give away your Tesla before you threw it away in any case. :D
I sold a twenty year old Porsche 911(993) to pay for the Model S. Any chance I can repeat that good fortune with my 20 year old Model S in 2036?

Reactions: Red Sage
I sold a twenty year old Porsche 911(993) to pay for the Model S. Any chance I can repeat that good fortune with my 20 year old Model S in 2036?
Sure. In twenty years there will be plenty of customizers that will have figured out how to 'get the most' out of your car through various enhancements and weight reduction techniques. That would be similar to what happened with old Model T's that were converted to T-Buckets Dragsters in the 1950s after decades in service. Heck, there are guys who want access to technical manuals to 'improve' the Model S already who complain that Tesla keeps the necessary info under wraps. By then, people will be able to pay their money and take their chances. More than a few would be perfectly willing to do remove and replace repairs for components they expect to fail under heavy use on a track.

Reactions: jnuyens
Keep in mind with Tesla there is no such thing as a model year. You are thinking of car manufacturers that don't correct mistakes when they find them like GM and sometimes for multiple years, even life threatening mistakes.
That may be true from Tesla's perspective but for the lenders, insurance companies and DMV's the model year is all that counts. Try telling a private party wanting to buy your car that there's "no such thing as a model year" and see what the reaction is. ;)

If I was the private party I'd want to know what month of what year it was built.
Yeah me too but people like us who spend time on Tesla enthusiasts forums and know that a late Fall 2014 Model S 85D is essentially the same as a January 2015 Model S 85D is very small in comparison to the market that is looking for one. Even Tesla's own CPO site lists them by model then model year first followed by mileage then VIN.

We all have to make the choices that fit best with our situations - hopefully yours works out for you. I can't say positively but I don't think you're right about only the expensive ones being produced first. Also, you may end up waiting longer for a Bolt on the East coast than a Model 3.

Well as I recall it was said they were going to go from West to East and start with the more fully loaded cars. I also fear that the car will be more than 35K based on their early statements about the S and X prices and then the actual early delivery car prices. And I am certain that the 7500 Tax Credit will be gone by the time I can get one. Being in NY a CARB state I feel confident that the BOLT will be here sooner and cheaper. If I am wrong I will be stuck waiting an extra year or so but at that point I will be a much more informed buyer as to the real options and prices and so for me it will be a year waiting but not a year wasted

why throw it away? in 10 years, you're going to lose some battery capacity, but your car will still be capable of 150+ miles. spend 5K for full automation and let it make money for you on the tesla network.

Reactions: wesley888
Say it ain't so ... the 993 is a rare appreciating asset as the last air cooled Porsche :cool:

Unfortunately, probably not. I sold my 1999 Cabriolet for top dollar to get my Model S and if you look at the resale value of older Tesla's it's disappointing.
No worries here as the 996 is disposable :eek:

Hydro
Say it ain't so ... the 993 is a rare appreciating asset as the last air cooled Porsche :cool:

Auto Religion is bizarre. We collect the shiitiest cars, but want the best cars. The Best normally deprecate violently unless produced in very restricted numbers.

There is not an air cooled engine made that competes with water pumpers since about 1980?, when KTM produced the last of their high powered 2-stroke race bikes.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911