Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do EV drivers park in EV spaces and not charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
giphy.gif

Think about it... if a Tesla parks at a whole foods parking lot, the amount of time in there vs. the size of the battery means the charge will do little to nothing. So that driver probably doesn't *need* to charge. So what's the difference whether he plugs in the charging cable or not? It's just for show.

Think about it... if a Tesla parks at a whole foods parking lot, the amount of time in there vs. the size of the battery means the charge will do little to nothing. So that driver probably doesn't *need* to charge. So what's the difference whether he plugs in the charging cable or not? It's just for show.
If you are not going to charge, do not take that spot leave it open for someone who needs to charge.

Exactly. Don’t plug in. Park somewhere else. There are Leafs that need it.

Wretched scum and villainry all.

ICEing by our own remains the prevalent problem at SCs, although now underperforming pedestals are starting to become a close second.

There's an opportunity for education and reinforcement - and, imnsho, the sooner the better. Green striping has to be respected as much as blue and red striping/signage else this problem will just continue to get worse before it gets better.

Tesla could do more by including friendly pop-up reminders during the first, say, 20 visits to SCs or the first 2,500 miles driven.

As far as parking in EV charging spaces and *not charging*? Adopt the (State of) Washington model and issue $125 tickets.

But before that, consistent no parking unless *charging* signage, and reminders to *vacate the space when done charging* would not be un-helpful.

Or, put another way: Oh boy, there is going to be some learning curve for model 3 owners

• Helpful
Reactions: YellyYeti

If you are not going to charge, do not take that spot leave it open for someone who needs to charge.

I agree, don't block a charger or charge if you don't need a charge, but it is hard to generalize over what a Tesla driver may or may not need in the way of a charge at any given point. I actually caught a Leaf driver unplugging my car, and when I confronted her, she said she thought the Tesla battery was so big it didn't matter. She would have no way of knowing if I arrived there on fumes or how far I had to drive after I left. A Tesla will charge at or near the same "miles per hour" as any other car and may very well *need* that charge depending on the SOC when they arrived.

Take the J1772 cable, and put it under the offending vehicles wiper blade. No damage is inflicted, and it does not require the offender to be able to read. It is easily visible both when entering the car and sitting in the car. If they are too drunk to notice, they lose a wiper arm, that's all.

I agree, don't block a charger or charge if you don't need a charge, but it is hard to generalize over what a Tesla driver may or may not need in the way of a charge at any given point. I actually caught a Leaf driver unplugging my car, and when I confronted her, she said she thought the Tesla battery was so big it didn't matter. She would have no way of knowing if I arrived there on fumes or how far I had to drive after I left. A Tesla will charge at or near the same "miles per hour" as any other car and may very well *need* that charge depending on the SOC when they arrived.

I'm not sure I've even seen many Teslas at J1772-L2 stalls that were plugged in, it's pretty rare. Congrats for actually using it when parked at one! :D I think this has more to do with where the charge port is on the Tesla than any true malice.

Note that at the battery, a normal J1772 stall charges you at 5kW per hour. This is due to EVSE/Charger/Battery/Management losses and the lower power that 208vac (commercial) power provides. Some L2's are only 1/2 that. They are 16a x 208vac instead of 30a.

A light EV can about 6 mi/kWh in the city when in panic mode without impeding traffic. So a simple 30 min charge while shopping, can be significant. 15 miles is further than most folk drive to go shopping. It's enough range for many commuters even.

Exactly. I typically use Superchargers while driving to a destination on a road trip. However, once I arrive at my destination I take advantage of public J1772 chargers, as needed. For example, on my first road trip last December, I took my UMC along so that I could charge at my brother's and use his 6-50 outlet. Unfortunately, after about two hours of charging, the fuse blew and it was then that we found his 6-50 outlet only had 40 amp fuses. He lives out in the country and it was Christmas and I wasn't able to go anywhere to get replacement fuses. The next day, I was able to charge at a public J1772 outlet in the local power company parking lot that was next to a Home Depot. While there was only one charger, I needed to charge so that I would be able to drive the ~30 miles back to my brother's house. On another occasion, a friend and I did a road trip to sell my old ICE vehicle. I drove the ICE and he drove the Tesla. We arrived at our destination 5 hours away and once we arrived, I found I couldn't charge in my dad's garage because we'd forgotten to put the UMC in the car. Fortunately, there was a Hy-Vee with public J1772 chargers a couple of blocks away. I charged for an hour while shopping at the grocery store and gained enough charge to make it to the closest Supercharger which was 65 miles away, in Gothenburg.

I also use one of the 36 Level 2 J1772 chargers at work on a weekly basis. We have a system that allows us to notify others if we need a charge so I know I'm never preventing anyone from getting a charge.

Note that at the battery, a normal J1772 stall charges you at 5kW per hour. This is due to EVSE/Charger/Battery/Management losses and the lower power that 208vac (commercial) power provides. Some L2's are only 1/2 that. They are 16a x 208vac instead of 30a.

J1772 stations range anywhere from 15 amps to 80 amps @ 208 volts or 240 volts depending on the utility supply at the site. I ordered the dual chargers when I bought my car which enables up to 80 amps. I installed 2-80 amp J1772 stations at my former workplace and there are a number of 70 and 80 amp stations around... but 30 amps does seem to be the most common.

There is a Toyota Prius Prime that is allways parked at a single J1772 plug in a business area downtown. He is there every day..,and has been for a year or so. I figured out that he lives block or so away. Handy for him but he has essentially taken this station out of service.

There is a public parking area that has two Tesla and Two clipper creek stations. There is a Tesla that is frequently parked and hooked up to a J1772 that is against a wall. Near as I can figure the Tesla wants to park up against the wall so there is less chance of getting dinged I guess (speculation on my part). He never uses the Tesla stations, always occupies the one J1772 and uses his adapter. Kind of a pain for us non Tesla drivers. Good thing I have my trusty adapter that goes the other way. (Ok so I haven't actually had to use it here yet...but I'm ready :) )

The single most common locations taht I have encountered with these issues have been Whole Foods, probably in part because they have a habit of placing EV charging in the most desirable locations.

The prime offenders:
Porsche Panamera PHEV- never yet seen one plugged in;
BMW PHEV- I did see an X-5 plugged in;
any given Prius ("this IS an electric car")

The most careful users:

Bolt, Leaf & Volt

We Tesla people seem to plug in for moral justification although we never need the charge. Anyway I resemble that statement.

I’ve recently noticed shopping carts left in EV charging stalls. I’m not sure if this was done by lazy shoppers or by EV drivers as a way of keeping the stalls available. Either way, it worked. Moving a few shopping carts is much less of a hassle than showing up to discover non-charging cars blocking the spaces.

I’ve recently noticed shopping carts left in EV charging stalls. I’m not sure if this was done by lazy shoppers or by EV drivers as a way of keeping the stalls available. Either way, it worked. Moving a few shopping carts is much less of a hassle than showing up to discover non-charging cars blocking the spaces.

Agree. The last couple of times I was at the Ann Arbor, MI Supercharger, someone had placed a row of white cones in front of every stall. I'd much rather get out and move a cone than see the row of chargers all ICE'd.

Agree. The last couple of times I was at the Ann Arbor, MI Supercharger, someone had placed a row of white cones in front of every stall. I'd much rather get out and move a cone than see the row of chargers all ICE'd.
And the nice thing about cones is that you don't have to worry about the wind blowing them into your car (vs. shopping carts)!

Reactions: Jeff N