Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people put DashCam's on Tesla's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said it before -- real dashcams are pretty sophisticated devices. Leave the dashcams to the real dashcam makers who know what they're doing. Any Tesla Dashcam software the release (if they do, I don't think it will ever happen, despite what Elon tweeted), is going to be the most basic, bare-bones, full of bugs software that barely gets the job done. That's also assuming the cameras can output a usable image (compared to real dashcams, that is). Yes, they do record and save the last few frames before and after an accident, but that does not make it a dashcam.

I'd much rather have Tesla spend software development time on fixing the media player and USB bugs and enhancing the Nav, as well as dozens of other REAL problems that need attention.

I've said it before -- real dashcams are pretty sophisticated devices. Leave the dashcams to the real dashcam makers who know what they're doing. Any Tesla Dashcam software the release (if they do, I don't think it will ever happen, despite what Elon tweeted), is going to be the most basic, bare-bones, full of bugs software that barely gets the job done. That's also assuming the cameras can output a usable image (compared to real dashcams, that is). Yes, they do record and save the last few frames before and after an accident, but that does not make it a dashcam.

I'd much rather have Tesla spend software development time on fixing the media player and USB bugs and enhancing the Nav, as well as dozens of other REAL problems that need attention.

The software from Blackvue is NOT a shining example of bug free application. Mine seems able to play back from the cloud about 50 percent of the time.

Of course YMMV ;)

The software from Blackvue is NOT a shining example of bug free application. Mine seems able to play back from the cloud about 50 percent of the time.

Of course YMMV ;)

Yeah, I didn't imply that any software is bug free (well, except mine, of course)... but Blackview, Blacksys, Thinkware, Lucas, Garmin, etc are years ahead in the dashcam software development cycle. Tesla would have to start at day 0.

My Lucas dashcam worked great in the three cars I had it installed in, until I upgraded to Blacksys.

Yeah, I didn't imply that any software is bug free (well, except mine, of course)... but Blackview, Blacksys, Thinkware, Lucas, Garmin, etc are years ahead in the dashcam software development cycle. Tesla would have to start at day 0.

My Lucas dashcam worked great in the three cars I had it installed in, until I upgraded to Blacksys.

Yeah I get that if Tesla were to take any more Eng. off AP work...or Gawd forbid Slacker radio issues the world might end :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I have G1W cameras in both of our cars. Haven't had any accidents and/or near misses, yet. If you have ever watched collections of dashcam clips, you'd understand why the default language for these cameras is Russian. Saw one where someone lay down in front of a car and when the car started backing up, got up, ran at the car and jumped on the hood. Another where the "victim" tried to crawl into another lane when the car maneuvered around them.

I think it's mostly because Tesla owners are tech centric.

We gotta have the latest gear.

Plus like most humans we tend to be social creatures, and when we hear people talking about dash cams then we're more likely to get one. So we can contribute to the drama of it.

As to me I'm going to hold out for Tesla to enable dash cam capabilities into their existing HW2 system.

I had that TopFit model, but when we had a collision and I tried to get the video there was a date bug and it was overwritten. Apparently the dates on the memory card can get easily reset to the future, leaving no space to save new videos. After that incident, I replaced it with Blackvue cameras.
I also got one from Topfit for model X 2.0 system.It works well and I have Crash video when I am driving.We argued with each other.But finally I got the recording video from the Topfit dash cam.Thanks God!
I really honor to own the dash cam from Topfit!

The AP cameras are simply not high enough resolution to function as a good dashcam. One thing you absolutely want to be able to see on the footage is license plates. 1080p60 with a top-of-the-line image sensor and high bitrate H.264 recording is barely adequate to make out license plates that are more than 1-2 car lengths away. The AP cameras don't even come close to that in resolution (I believe I've read that they're 480p and black & white). They're designed for gross object recognition tasks e.g. identifying the presence of a car, pedestrian, motorcycle/bicycle, object in the road, etc. They're not at all designed to resolve fine detail.

In addition, good dashcams record audio and have motion-activated parking sensors to record while parked. I don't think the Tesla implementation would be able to do either of these things (no microphone in the passenger cabin, and no motion sensors to control recording).

IMO, any dashcam software that Tesla comes out with may work, but the footage will be several grades worse than useless.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, any recommendations on dashcam for a newer 2018 model s possibly with two channels front and back? I heard that self-installation guides have been outdated with the voltage differences from older models but looking for something straightforward.

First hand example: When exiting my office parking garage, my Model S bumper was sideswiped by a car on my right. It sped off -- kind of a hit and run. My dash cam recorded the event and captured the offending car's license plate number. With that I was able to look up the VIN. Police came by and contacted the owner and I was able to recover the cost of repairing the bumper.

Reactions: HankLloydRight