Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does autosteer say not available all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds incredibly annoying. I’m glad the SR allows unbundling of bAP since you can’t even signal to auto lane change. Too bad the rest of the lineup isn’t like that. Probably because few would pay $3,000 for just two features.
I remember when EAP included everything FSD does (ignoring the cone visualization) and folks complained it wasn't worth 5k, and that they only wanted Autosteer and TACC. Tesla listened, and here we are...

I wanted a 2018 with EAC honestly, but the problem is that you end up paying more for a 2018 than a 2019. That makes no sense regardless of how cool the software is. It just happens that hte car I got was close and the deal was right. At any rate, while I would like some of the other features, 7000 dollars for those features at this point is foolish for me. Full self driving is god knows how long away when its getting confused by a section of brick road. Even in stop and go if there is any turns it moves like it is drunk and any sane person would get nervous that it is going to go out of the lane. Still love the autopilot, but will certainly be waiting until I see something that makes it worth spending anywhere near close to 7K.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I wanted a 2018 with EAC honestly, but the problem is that you end up paying more for a 2018 than a 2019. That makes no sense regardless of how cool the software is. It just happens that hte car I got was close and the deal was right. At any rate, while I would like some of the other features, 7000 dollars for those features at this point is foolish for me. Full self driving is god knows how long away when its getting confused by a section of brick road. Even in stop and go if there is any turns it moves like it is drunk and any sane person would get nervous that it is going to go out of the lane. Still love the autopilot, but will certainly be waiting until I see something that makes it worth spending anywhere near close to 7K.

by the time you think its worth 7k, thats likely not what they will be charging for it. When its good enough that most buyers want it, they will likely charge more for it.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Sounds like AP jail but weird trigger.

I only recently started seeing the “autosteer temporarily unavailable” while driving on perfectly clear days with no fog, rain, or heavy snow, and it always occurred in the mornings between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. Sometimes autosteer would later become available during my 40 minute drive to work.

Because of the sudden onset of this problem, I thought it might be related to one of the recent software upgrades. And because of the consistent timing of this unavailability of autosteer in the mornings, I thought about the possibility that perhaps autosteer now requires the headlights to be engaged during specific hours in the morning and evening, or when the ambient outdoor sunlight intensity is below a specific threshold.

So I tested that hypothesis and it seems to be correct. The last several times that I had no availability of autosteer in the mornings, I noticed that my headlights were in the “off” setting rather than the “auto” setting. As soon as I changed the headlight setting to “auto”, the small gray steering wheel circle icon on the display was immediately available again, giving me access to autosteer, and it functioned perfectly each time.

To further test this theory, as soon as I turned the headlights back to the “off” setting, the autosteer was no longer available and the gray steering wheel icon was gone from the display, during these morning drives. This is never an issue later in the morning and afternoon, when the ambient sunlight is brighter

I only recently started seeing the “autosteer temporarily unavailable” while driving on perfectly clear days with no fog, rain, or heavy snow, and it always occurred in the mornings between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. Sometimes autosteer would later become available during my 40 minute drive to work.

Because of the sudden onset of this problem, I thought it might be related to one of the recent software upgrades. And because of the consistent timing of this unavailability of autosteer in the mornings, I thought about the possibility that perhaps autosteer now requires the headlights to be engaged during specific hours in the morning and evening, or when the ambient outdoor sunlight intensity is below a specific threshold.

So I tested that hypothesis and it seems to be correct. The last several times that I had no availability of autosteer in the mornings, I noticed that my headlights were in the “off” setting rather than the “auto” setting. As soon as I changed the headlight setting to “auto”, the small gray steering wheel circle icon on the display was immediately available again, giving me access to autosteer, and it functioned perfectly each time.

To further test this theory, as soon as I turned the headlights back to the “off” setting, the autosteer was no longer available and the gray steering wheel icon was gone from the display, during these morning drives. This is never an issue later in the morning and afternoon, when the ambient sunlight is brighter

Correct - the headlights must be on when the car wants them on. Manually setting them to OFF or PARKING will result in autopilot being unavailable if the light sensor says the lights should be on.

I am experiencing the similar issue with autopilot. I was thinking it was due to the recent software update. I will check if leaving the headlights in "auto" would remediate this. I do turn it off it since there is enough light in the morning these days when I drive.