Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my phone access not work periodically?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. Bluetooth has to be turned on in your phone.
  2. It used to be that the app also had to be active as well, but not so much anymore, at least for me.
  3. I sometimes find there is a lag. So it won't work immediately when I walk up to the car, but a moment later it does. I assume that this is bluetooth negotiation.

Thanks for the replies.
My Bluetooth is on, nothing has changed in my methodology , the phone is in my outer coat pocket. It just seems to randomly not connect at times and then later in the day, voila it is working again.
I have the exact same problem. was told by mobile tech to uninstall the app and reinstall. i did and it did work for a week or so and then again start acting.

Bluetooth phone key is one of the worst things about the car in my view. About half the time I get no response and have to dig out my phone and toggle Bluetooth off and on again for it to open.
Then it decides my wife’s driving half the time too even when she’s nowhere to be seen (profile activation).
Sure it works for some people but for me it’s sht.
So stupid.
iPhone.

Funny, I'm on Android and have found Bluetooth to be very reliable so far. The only time it failed was when i had manually killed all apps a moment before getting to my car. The Tesla app must be running in the background for it to work.
There is sometimes a slight delay, when the car is sleeping, and I've had to rotate my hips so the phone would be close enough to the car, but it's otherwise great. I just hold the handle pulled until it opens

I just hold the handle pulled until it opens
This.

I find my phone doesn't always work that well, but holding the handle pulled for a few seconds works a lot better than trying over and over with the added benefit that you don't look as silly either. If that doesn't work, chances are the app isn't running anymore (I think most commonly this is because the app got updated.)

Reactions: GtiMart
Was your phone in the back pocket? Bluetooth can't get pass all the junk in your biological trunk ;)

I usually just turn my left cheek towards the car while I open the door with my left hand. Works everytime and my butt is already pointed to the seat! :D

I have my phone in my front left pock usually. Most of the time when I have this issue of doors not opening, my phone is in my back pocket.