Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why EV charging is still such a pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

IMG_1129.jpeg

A lack of chargers remains the biggest complaint, though, said Gruber. There are about 144,000 public EV chargers in the United States, according to the Department of Energy. About 42,000 of those are in California. States like Mississippi and Montana — admittedly far less populous but people still have to drive there — have only a few hundred.

IMG_1127.jpeg

Last edited:
Cliff notes version:

1. Article is about Public charging (even though the title does not say that).
2. Article is discussing Challenges with CCS / Chademo, Etc charging networks
3. Article has brief line about "companies have said they will swap to NACS but it hasnt happened yet"
4. Article states people are unhappy with current public charging options.

Since this is about public charging (even though the thread title doesnt say that), I am still deciding if it belongs here or in the supercharging and charging infrastructure subforum, since thats the actual discussion.

Poorly written. It talks about level 1-3 chargers, even though those designations are not used in the industry. States that people are confused about what plug they need, but cites nothing to support it. Take about more plugs in California and less in Montana, but says nothing about whether that is making people in California more satisfied.

In short, it seems like a collection of gripes without evidence and without conclusions about how it could get better.

Reactions: Big Earl and fsb1
. . . and don't forget that you can't do it in the rain or you'll get electrocuted AND they had to beef up the concrete pads next to the charges because the vehicles were so heavy

Personally I'm surprised anyone actually has time to charge their vehicle - I mean after all it takes so long. It's better to do it at home anyway as you really don't want to take an EV onto the public streets because you probably won't be able to get insurance, or it'll be prohibitely expensive if you can

Did I leave any out?

Oh wait ... that's only if you can get to a charger in the first place - I mean if the fire brigade has move the previous vehicle after it spontaneously burst into flames!

. . . and don't forget ALL electricity comes from burning dead dinosaurs anyway

. . . and don't forget that you can't do it in the rain or you'll get electrocuted AND they had to beef up the concrete pads next to the charges because the vehicles were so heavy

Personally I'm surprised anyone actually has time to charge their vehicle - I mean after all it takes so long. It's better to do it at home anyway as you really don't want to take an EV onto the public streets because you probably won't be able to get insurance, or it'll be prohibitely expensive if you can

Did I leave any out?

Oh wait ... that's only if you can get to a charger in the first place - I mean if the fire brigade has move the previous vehicle after it spontaneously burst into flames!

. . . and don't forget ALL electricity comes from burning dead dinosaurs anyway
Don't forget the incredibly long charging lines at every single station. You could wait hours just to plug in, and then you still need to charge for an hour or two. ;) /s

• Funny
Reactions: Johnny Vector