Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why hasn’t Tesla published the range & HP on the new great 4680 battery? Sr. VP has been driving around Texas with a new MY (4680) for days now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the specs will be the same as the current model Y
No they won't. If a 4680 battery has, as Elon stated, 16% less mass than the 2170, that would reduce the Model Y weight some 170 lbs. If Tesla reduces the number of 4680s to equal the 2170 pack's range, the car is going to weigh some 300 lbs. less. So, the, "Refreshed M YLR" will HAVE to have different specs. (Unless they add a bunch of lead to the car to equal the current specs).😉 If they DO keep the weight the same with the 4680's, my vote is that they do as others has suggested: software-reduce the range and, "unlock" it later for more money. We will know soon with the new Certificate of Conformity.

No they won't. If a 4680 battery has, as Elon stated, 16% less mass than the 2170, that would reduce the Model Y weight some 170 lbs. If Tesla reduces the number of 4680s to equal the 2170 pack's range, the car is going to weigh some 300 lbs. less. So, the, "Refreshed M YLR" will HAVE to have different specs. (Unless they add a bunch of lead to the car to equal the current specs).😉 If they DO keep the weight the same with the 4680's, my vote is that they do as others has suggested: software-reduce the range and, "unlock" it later for more money. We will know soon with the new Certificate of Conformity.

I will continue to explain that the "16%" figure involved savings from several places including the rear mega-cast which is already in place. Energy density claims also factored in chemistry improvements that have already gone live since the statement was made. Yes the structural pack is gonna be awesome. No it's not gonna wildly change the cars range - it's gonna have 960 cells and an initial capacity in the 85 KWh region very very similar to the existing pack. It will be somewhat lighter, but lightness doesn't save a ton of range in these vehicles.

My prediction is they roll it out with minimal spec changes because for at least a little while they're going to be shipping both versions. So you update the cars official weight and go conservative on the safety-margins at the top and bottom of the new pack. As you get experience on the new pack and convert the Fremont factory to 4680, you've got easy room to roll a modest "range upgrade". No lead weights. No missing cells. No weird MYLR+ model selling alongside the MYLR.