Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why hasn’t Tesla published the range & HP on the new great 4680 battery? Sr. VP has been driving around Texas with a new MY (4680) for days now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you are referring to the extra 4-5% and paying for it, or even the price point of $1k or $2k. You seem to have much more detail info, maybe insider track?

Anyways. Here is a good video and calculations on all of this, I am sure you all probably have seen it. This guy makes a lot of sense

Not sure what you are referring to the extra 4-5% and paying for it, or even the price point of $1k or $2k. You seem to have much more detail info, maybe insider track?

Anyways. Here is a good video and calculations on all of this, I am sure you all probably have seen it. This guy makes a lot of sense

No inside info. Just basic math. All the info is on this forum, mainly in the 4680 Austin threads.

"Tesla used to offer the option to buy a Model S or Model X with a 75 kWh battery pack software-locked at a capacity of 60 kWh. The option would result in a less expensive vehicle with a shorter range, but the option to pay to remotely enable the longer range at a later stage."
This was a strategic decision to lower entry price at a slight loss and convince people sitting on Model 3 reservations in late 2016 to buy an S/X now instead of waiting.

Ask me how I know. 😆

I see the chance of them doing this with brand new, scarce 4680 cells essentially zero.

In 2016 it was more important that Tesla sold more units vs. losing a bit on the bottom line. In 2022 it’s more important that they make every vehicle they can with the limited cells they have available.

This was a strategic decision to lower entry price at a slight loss and convince people sitting on Model 3 reservations in late 2016 to buy an S/X now instead of waiting.

Ask me how I know. 😆

I see the chance of them doing this with brand new, scarce 4680 cells essentially zero.

In 2016 it was more important that Tesla sold more units vs. losing a bit on the bottom line. In 2022 it’s more important that they make every vehicle they can with the limited cells they have available.
Why you and others here think that 4680 cells are limited in quantity?

Ok now because they are not producing them yet at Austin. But once production starts there it should not be an issue: producers always organise in a way to produce all it is requested by the market.

It’s just a matter of adding a production line…

Why you and others here think that 4680 cells are limited in quantity?

Ok now because they are not producing them yet at Austin. But once production starts there it should not be an issue: producers always organise in a way to produce all it is requested by the market.

It’s just a matter of adding a production line…
Because they have admitted they are having trouble reaching the yields they need to ramp. The line(s) they put in at Austin will be based on what they have at Kato. 1 million cells in 6 months will be the same on the same equipment in Austin. If they ramp to 100 cars/day (roughly 1/8th capacity), they will need 20 battery lines. At full ramp they would need 180 battery production lines. Tht is not feasible for a financial standpoint. That equipment is very expensive. And they will need cells for Fremont since they will need to start producing the same cars there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
No inside info. Just basic math. All the info is on this forum, mainly in the 4680 Austin threads.

The math from the video makes more sense, the range increase is nominal (3-4%) if they fill the structural pack enough to just match the existing spec, saving weight. Dont' see how Tesla will charge extra for it but given the recent price increase and projected delivery dates, I think they did already.

Because they have admitted they are having trouble reaching the yields they need to ramp. The line(s) they put in at Austin will be based on what they have at Kato. 1 million cells in 6 months will be the same on the same equipment in Austin. If they ramp to 100 cars/day (roughly 1/8th capacity), they will need 20 battery lines. At full ramp they would need 180 battery production lines. Tht is not feasible for a financial standpoint. That equipment is very expensive. And they will need cells for Fremont since they will need to start producing the same cars there.

I didn't get that from their recent investor's call:

"As we sit today, sales from suppliers actually sort of exceeds our other factory-limiting constraints that you mentioned, Elon, in 2022. Or to say differently, 4680 cells are not a constraint to our 2022 volume plans based on the information we have."

or is this just stating the fact that only cars out of Texas will get 4680, we don't have enough for Fremont and don't plan to in 2022? Which is probably most likely since they have never stated Fremont made cars will have 4680 this year.

If your assumptions are correct, Austin will never reach full capacity.
I can’t believe that.
There must be something else we don’t know.
If they planned to produce Ys and other models in Austin, all having 4680 batteries, I assume they planned to install enough battery production lines to feed them.

If your assumptions are correct, Austin will never reach full capacity.
I can’t believe that.
There must be something else we don’t know.
If they planned to produce Ys and other models in Austin, all having 4680 batteries, I assume they planned to install enough battery production lines to feed them.
You misread my assumptions. The only thing assumed is current production and yield relating to current 4680. We know they have 2-4 4680 linea at Austin. 200,000 cars per year is 200,000,000 cells per year. That is 550,000 cells per day. 380 cells per minute. With 4 lines at Austin, that’s 95 cells per minute per line. More than 1.5 per second. And the reported 1 million sitting at Kato would be 2 days worth of production if they are at production speed that matches full ramp at Austin.

This would be very easy to verify with the drone footage we have seen of the battery lines. You’d at least see people at the end of the lines stacking finished cells for transport to the battery pack production area.

As I type this I look to verify my number and I find this (also the source of the 1 millions cells number):

13 machines produce 6300 cells per day (one training Texas employees had 82% reject rate). Roughly 500 cells per machine per day. Even if they are only running 8 hours per day and they shift to 24 hours a day that’s 1500 cells per machine per day. That changes the above math to needing 350+ machines running 24 hours a day to produce. Looking closer at the numbers, machines 109, 206 and 208 produced close to 900 good cells per day. Using those numbers reduces the number of machines needed by roughly half. Close to 200 machines. The range of that day for all the machines is 103 to 965 cells produced. That is a large range and shows you how far Tesla is from getting 4680 production remotely close to what they need for full production. Also, if 14 machines is enough to be the 10th largest facility in the world, they need much more production to reach that slot (currently around 25 GWh per year).

If current 2170 are 5000mah, same energy density would be 27,000mah for 4680. 4416 2170 at 3.6v is 79.8kWh. This means about 820 4680 needed for same capacity. That’s basically one machine per car per day at current best case scenario yields. The 1 million 4680 cells at 27ah each is equivalent of 97MWh. To get to #10 biggest factory they need to produce 250 times this in a year. 250 million cells across 14 machines is almost 18 million cells per machine. Almost 50,000 cells per machine per day. They are currently producing 900 under best case scenario. 2700 if running continuously assuming they are at 8 hours per day now. That’s 1.3GWh. Best case. Accounting for averages, about half of that. Long way to go to get to the 10th largest battery factory in the world as currently configured.

All this hype is just that, hype. Do the math. Elon always speaks of the future. Every statement he makes has a whole lot of unsaid IFs behind it. iF we get the yields and production rates we think we can get, IF we have enough lines, IF we have enough raw material, THEN it will be the 10th largest battery factory in the world.

Last edited:
The math from the video makes more sense, the range increase is nominal (3-4%) if they fill the structural pack enough to just match the existing spec, saving weight. Dont' see how Tesla will charge extra for it but given the recent price increase and projected delivery dates, I think they did already.
Agreed..It makes no sense for them to try to hit the range estimate with a smaller pack and slightly lower weight. Not to mention all sorts of lawsuits/issues....The safest path forward is just keep the battery capacity the same. Any gains via weight will just be an innovation.

13 machines produce 6300 cells per day (one training Texas employees had 82% reject rate). Roughly 500 cells per machine per day. Even if they are only running 8 hours per day and they shift to 24 hours a day that’s 1500 cells per machine per day.
Do we know for a fact that 14 lines is all they have in Kato?
Machine numbers are
102, 103, 104, 107, 108, 109, 110, then big jump to 203~206, 208, 210, 212.

Lets assume there are two zones/rooms/departments with equal numbers, so separating the 100's from 10's
They numbered like this, could have:
101 to 112 (12 total)
and
201 to 212 (12 total)
24 machines total, and have results of only 14, so 58% of total if all are running.
Those omitted could be not producing at that day.

You are correct in saying they are not producing enough, and it is safe bet Tesla know they need a huge number of 4680 machines, so everything says Tesla has a far larger number of batt machines than we know about.

Last edited:
Reactions: origingalatic
Do we know for a fact that 14 lines is all they have in Kato?
Machine numbers are
102, 103, 104, 107, 108, 109, 110, then big jump to 203~206, 208, 210, 212.

Lets assume there are two zones/rooms/departments with equal numbers, so separating the 100's from 10's
They numbered like this, could have:
101 to 112 (12 total)
and
201 to 212 (12 total)
24 machines total, and have results of only 14, so 58% of total if all are running.
Those omitted could be not producing at that day.

You are correct in saying they are not producing enough, and it is safe bet Tesla know they need a huge number of 4680 machines, so everything says Tesla has a far larger number of batt machines than we know about.
Which would mean they are offline due to production issues. Or Maybe completely scrapped and don’t exist anymore. Either way, at most they double capacity but then you’re at 12,500 cells per day. 16 cars. They need to get to 700,000 cells per day to reach 25gWh capacity per year. Still a long way to go on the ramp up.

I think this is all Elon hyperbole. If the lines run at our predicted throughput we will have 25gWh capacity from Kato Rd. But the IF always gets left out.

Regarding the relatively-modest volume of 4680 production: Couldn't this be simply that they are trying to perfect yield levels at low scale, and once they have the process tightened up they go into mass production - lined up with scaling the production of Texas Model Y's in general.
Sure, but when you scale you run into different problems. They will need to have one of these pilot lines running at full speed before they can ramp the rest of the facility and new facilities. Look how some lines are 900 per day and others at 200. They need all lines at 900 before the next step. With current equipment to get 700,000 cells per day they have two options. One is increase from 14 machines to 700 machines or increase production from 900/day to 50,000 per day per machine. Either way, it’s a significant investment in infrastructure or into efficiency and output. Neither one is easy to accomplish.

Some background from InsideEVS about Reno:
There are currently 13 production lines with a total output of about 35 GWh of lithium-ion cells annually. The 14th line is currently under construction, to increase the output to 38-39 GWh annually. A good thing is also that on Panasonic's side, the production is profitable.

So, each 2170 line is capable of 3-4 GWh/year based on the increase provided by the 14th line. I think with the increased cell size, you lose production on a Wh basis so the 14 lines at Kato for 25 GWh sounds about right. If you convert the 2170 numbers from GWh to cells, that number is 150,000,000 cells per year per line. Divide that by 5 to get same Wh production from 4680 (at 5x ah) and you’re at 30,000,000 cells per line. They are looking at 14 lines doing 18,000,000 cells per line per year at Kato to get to 25GWh so there is some inefficiency to scaling the cell size vs maximum throughput. Anyway you cut it, Kato is operating at 62MWh right now, or about 0.25% of where it needs to be. 400 fold increase to get to Elon’s quoted capacity. There is a reason giants like Panasonic say it will take them over a year to get into 4680 production and that is with them knowing about it for 2 years already.

You misread my assumptions. The only thing assumed is current production and yield relating to current 4680. We know they have 2-4 4680 linea at Austin. 200,000 cars per year is 200,000,000 cells per year. That is 550,000 cells per day. 380 cells per minute. With 4 lines at Austin, that’s 95 cells per minute per line. More than 1.5 per second. And the reported 1 million sitting at Kato would be 2 days worth of production if they are at production speed that matches full ramp at Austin.

This would be very easy to verify with the drone footage we have seen of the battery lines. You’d at least see people at the end of the lines stacking finished cells for transport to the battery pack production area.

As I type this I look to verify my number and I find this (also the source of the 1 millions cells number):

13 machines produce 6300 cells per day (one training Texas employees had 82% reject rate). Roughly 500 cells per machine per day. Even if they are only running 8 hours per day and they shift to 24 hours a day that’s 1500 cells per machine per day. That changes the above math to needing 350+ machines running 24 hours a day to produce. Looking closer at the numbers, machines 109, 206 and 208 produced close to 900 good cells per day. Using those numbers reduces the number of machines needed by roughly half. Close to 200 machines. The range of that day for all the machines is 103 to 965 cells produced. That is a large range and shows you how far Tesla is from getting 4680 production remotely close to what they need for full production. Also, if 14 machines is enough to be the 10th largest facility in the world, they need much more production to reach that slot (currently around 25 GWh per year).

If current 2170 are 5000mah, same energy density would be 27,000mah for 4680. 4416 2170 at 3.6v is 79.8kWh. This means about 820 4680 needed for same capacity. That’s basically one machine per car per day at current best case scenario yields. The 1 million 4680 cells at 27ah each is equivalent of 97MWh. To get to #10 biggest factory they need to produce 250 times this in a year. 250 million cells across 14 machines is almost 18 million cells per machine. Almost 50,000 cells per machine per day. They are currently producing 900 under best case scenario. 2700 if running continuously assuming they are at 8 hours per day now. That’s 1.3GWh. Best case. Accounting for averages, about half of that. Long way to go to get to the 10th largest battery factory in the world as currently configured.

All this hype is just that, hype. Do the math. Elon always speaks of the future. Every statement he makes has a whole lot of unsaid IFs behind it. iF we get the yields and production rates we think we can get, IF we have enough lines, IF we have enough raw material, THEN it will be the 10th largest battery factory in the world.
If this were true, we will never see a significant number of Ys with 4680, anywhere…
If 13 machines only produce 6300 units per day, it simply cannot work. And it does not fit with the assumption that production cost is smaller.
Question: how many 2170 cells does a machine produce per day?
That’s the rate they probably aim for 4680.
Or we forget not only Y, but also cybertruck and Semi…

Reactions: origingalatic
Which would mean they are offline due to production issues. Or Maybe completely scrapped and don’t exist anymore.
OR MAYBE they simply did not include those stats in that graph. For all we know they have 1000 of those machines spitting them out like bullets.
That reports has an incredibly small amount of information.

However I do agree with the overall comment, Tesla will need A LOT of machines making A LOT of cells to satisfy demand.