Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why/how would a Tesla Destination Charger call my son?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
This is a screenshot of my son's phone log:
Robert's Screenshot blackout.png
As you can see, he received a call from "Tesla Destination Charger", in Fort Wayne, IN. My son does not own a Tesla, has not been in Indiana in years, and does not have a Tesla account.

About all I can figure is that it was a scam call, with the actual name of the caller replaced with the fake name. Still seems strange that a scammer would choose to use the fake name, "Tesla Destination Charger".

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP
This is a screenshot of my son's phone log:
View attachment 533746
As you can see, he received a call from "Tesla Destination Charger", in Fort Wayne, IN. My son does not own a Tesla, has not been in Indiana in years, and does not have a Tesla account.

About all I can figure is that it was a scam call, with the actual name of the caller replaced with the fake name. Still seems strange that a scammer would choose to use the fake name, "Tesla Destination Charger".

swaltner- I just rec'd that same same call, and it was a call from a friend whose a musical instrument salesman in Indiana. He was outside using his cellphone to call me and it comes up as Tesla Destination Charger. I suppose he was using wifi to make the call, so it came up as Tesla when in fact it was just him on his own phone. I initially thought it was just another scam call, as I hear from scammers weekly [Solar Power, my car's "Warranty" is about to expire, can get me a lower rate on my credit card...,] so rest easy, it was someone calling him that was standing near a Tesla charging station. I googled this and up came the result that others were asking about seeing this on their phone. I signed up here just to tell you all of this. I do not have a Tesla, but I'd be a happy bastard if they'd drop one off to me at my destination free of charge - get it? Charge? Destination? Charger...? ba dum tss

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Move along, there's nothing to see here. The scammer just picked a number to call that was matched in some database to a Tesla Destination Charger. Tesla or a site that hosts a Tesla Destination Charger did not call him.
YES! caller ID has been a total boondoggle of no security and spoofed from day one. NEVER TRUST CALLER ID as there is virtually no protection that what is shown would be authentic.

Caller ID Spoofing

Reactions: kayak1