Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Ordering EAP and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason I bought FSD now is because the promise of hardware upgrades. Tesla is already developing a new computer. There's no guarantee that if you don't buy FSD now (it's already 5k vs 3k) it could increase even more later. There's also supposed to be the first features that require the FSD package coming out this year.

Tesla does have a completely different software in the works (Elon's talked about it, their AI head has talked about it, etc). The question is that software package ready in 1 year, 2 years, 4 years etc. Tesla will likely roll it out regardless of approval (since laws will be so gray around it, plus waymo will be rolling something out around the same time). Either way it makes more sense to roll $3k into the loan now than $5k later when I'm 3 years in and have to decide if I want a must have feature on my 80k car.

Ordering a P3D like I did also helps since the marginal cost increase is much less.
My order is an AWD without EAP. The earnings call and the HW3 announcement put me back on the fence. Now there is a decent chance I go ahead and pay the $8,000 while it's still available.

Car isn't even worth buying if you don't get EAP, in my opinion. I can understand not buying FSD but I'll never, ever buy another car that doesn't have TACC with full speed range management.

Also:

ANNOYING-AS-HELL autoplay video warning in the link. I hope whoever implemented that gets 90 days of diarrhea.
We will see, all those companies that are supposedly ahead don't offer anything for regular car buyers. So I'm not sure in what way they are actually ahead.

If GM releases a self driving car to the public next year, things could get interesting though.

Also what if one of these companies releases a self driving car that costs 200k? I mean that's pretty cool, but still makes no difference to me since I won't be buying it!

Get autopilot if you want the best available self driving capabilities currently offered to the general public, and get FSD if you like to keep up with the latest updates.

My order is an AWD without EAP. The earnings call and the HW3 announcement put me back on the fence. Now there is a decent chance I go ahead and pay the $8,000 while it's still available.
And thats exactly what that announcement was calculated to do. Elon is a genius at marketing. I wish Tesla was as good at delivering on their promises. Who thinks that Tesla will actually deliver a fully "Self Driving Car" in the next 3 years?

And thats exactly what that announcement was calculated to do. Elon is a genius at marketing. I wish Tesla was as good at delivering on their promises. Who thinks that Tesla will actually deliver a fully "Self Driving Car" in the next 3 years?
They don't need FSD to be fully self-driving the next 3 years for it to be a must have product and for people to severely regret not purchasing it for only $3,000 when they had the chance.

I am not certain FSD will ever reach the promised land. The Tesla Network may never come to fruition. But I strongly believe FSD's capabilities will continually improve.

Reactions: MXWing