Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Ordering EAP and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very educational discussion, so I am now leaning toward not ordering AP when my turn come before March. Now I wondering when I decide to add it, is there a higher price to pay?
Note the additional $1000 cost if added after delivery:
Model 3 design page8 1-18-18.jpg

I don't normally get to chime in these discussions with any useful information but I would add that the Subaru Eyesight system does work over a full range of speed for those wondering about ICE cars with TACC (which I think just means full speed range ACC, traffic aware vs adaptive cruise?). There is a list here:

Autonomous cruise control system - Wikipedia

I can only speak to the Subaru version, but it works really well and reduces stress. I am on the sidelines for the next few years to see how the electric car race shakes out. Nothing was quite the right combination of price, range, AWD, size, and availability when I leased last month, but excited to see what happens over the next three years!

That is the upcharge today, it is not guaranteed that will be the upcharge tomorrow. Reservationists should not assume that will be the upcharge forever.
Entirely agree. I'll also point out that it is possible that the base charge for EAP might even be lowered someday, although I'd be surprised if that happened. (It would be one way to increase the uptake rate, however.)

What isn't a gamble is that one should always be able to add EAP later, at some price.

No need to spring for EAP now. I expect that in a year or so, once the initial rush of Model 3 production gets sorted out, then maybe Tesla will start trying to suck more money out of people who didn't order EAP when they got their 3. Since the features are all software enabled, Tesla can offer something like a 1 month trial of EAP for maybe $100 to $200, then if people like it and want to get it permanently on their car, Tesla will give them a reasonable price for it. In the end, Tesla gets MORE MONEY, and the 3 owners get to use a feature their car already has the hardware for.

Change a 0 to a 1 in the computer, $$$thousands of dollars for Tesla$$$.

I understand that you like your EAP, I'm more saying for the sake of others that there's more to a car than reliability or cost of purchase, otherwise we'd all buy soulless pieces of garbage. If people want to put a few thousand dollars ahead of their enjoyment of life, that's their prerogative but I figure with only 80-90 years or so on the planet I might as well enjoy 'em.

For the majority of the Model 3's intended demographics (i.e. non-early adopters, more mainstream Joe Public, not Tesla fervent supporters who usually give Tesla free passes), reliability ranks very high.

You could be right. Many features of a Tesla are over priced. $1K for multi-coat paint? $5K for PUP with many features people don't want or need? >$100K for a MX?

But specifically for EAP, what other companies have a workable model in their cars (GM, Ford, Renault?)? What is/will be the cost of their autonomous driving option? Have you driven the 3 with EAP? I recommend you test drive a Bolt and compare it for features and price to a model 3, then make your decision.

I WILL BE getting EAP and FSD with my order. $8K for EAP/FSD or $9K for LR? The choice for me and my needs is a no brainer. Although perhaps overpriced right now, the TACC alone is worth it to me. I don't put a price on safety. You can always add EAP and FSD later for $1K premiums, BUT the $1K premium is NOT guaranteed forever. The price will only go up as features are added. Penny wise and pound foolish. If you purchase EAP and FSD now, all new features will be included in the price through software updates, which are being added frequently. Choose carefully.
You are wasting your money if you buy FSD. It won't be regulated fully for between 5-10 years. By that time, the Apple owned Tesla Car company will have new cars out in the market. The Model S, X and 3 will be long forgotten by then.
Save your money and for sure, get the enhanced or regular AP but not FSD!

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME
You are wasting your money if you buy FSD. It won't be regulated fully for between 5-10 years. By that time, the Apple owned Tesla Car company will have new cars out in the market. The Model S, X and 3 will be long forgotten by then.
Save your money and for sure, get the enhanced or regular AP but not FSD!
Yep you are right. And at the current rate of production, I won't even have my 3 in 5 - 10 years! You are wrong about Apple, because a Russian consortium will own Tesla headed by honorary Tsar Donaltov Rotchurkokov and all Teslas will be produced as Golden ICE vehicles. Yep, I am going to save my money and spend it on something useful like a Key Fob that will actually operate the durn thing.

All seriousness aside, kudos to you @Drone Flyer for at least telling me why you disagree with me. Everyone has valid opinions.

Reactions: Drone Flyer
The reason I bought FSD now is because the promise of hardware upgrades. Tesla is already developing a new computer. There's no guarantee that if you don't buy FSD now (it's already 5k vs 3k) it could increase even more later. There's also supposed to be the first features that require the FSD package coming out this year.

Tesla does have a completely different software in the works (Elon's talked about it, their AI head has talked about it, etc). The question is that software package ready in 1 year, 2 years, 4 years etc. Tesla will likely roll it out regardless of approval (since laws will be so gray around it, plus waymo will be rolling something out around the same time). Either way it makes more sense to roll $3k into the loan now than $5k later when I'm 3 years in and have to decide if I want a must have feature on my 80k car.

Ordering a P3D like I did also helps since the marginal cost increase is much less.