Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Black the least popular color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Black is hard to keep clean but it's arguably the most beautiful color on a clean car.

Only 14.4% of M3s on Troy's survey are black. In the bay area, there seems to be even fewer black M3s on the road. I see a larger proportion of non-Tesla cars in black.

I get that people have the money to personalize their car a bit. But $1500+ is way overpriced. Lexus offers colors for free. BMW and Audi charge $550 and $600 more, respectively.

On the bright side, you get exercise washing your car and it's the best way to inspect for dings. It just takes me an extra hour every 2 - 3 weeks. I'm sure I'll spend less time washing during the summer.

The only other downside is that black is hotter under the sun. But that's a lot less of an issue since you can pre-cool the car.

Personally, I skipped the colors and fancy rims and bought FSD instead.

Personally I'd rather not rely on having to remember to pre-cool every single time in these hot Texas summer's. The app can be quite slow to wake up the car sometimes too, which is a nuisance. Maybe when AI can sense I'm going driving soon and do it for me but yeah. Which color looks best is still a subjective thing. I like black but I think other colors look just as good if not better.

Agree. I kinda wish I went with black but since my last car was black I got another color. Black looks the best when clean and has the deepest mirror shine. It’s a little more work to keep clean buts it’s a great color overall.

Why is Black the least popular color?
Because people are crazy? :)

Okay, I got Obsidian Black because I didn't feel up to the Solid Black which I find humdrum at best unless you're really on point with maintaining it. OBM is a lot more forgiving on that front. But OBM had even less people ordering it, to the point that it got discontinued.

I initially planned to wrap in another colour, and the black was really so the wrap wouldn't look stupid unless every little bit of paint on the door jams and cracks was covered, but the OBM really grew on me fast so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78