Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Black the least popular color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bay area friends say it's status. Wealthy Bay Area elite all have Model S or X, and the first test/question is, "What color is your Tesla?" And everyone knows red is the most expensive. :Shrug:

So my performance model with auto drive and $5K more in aftermarket accessories means I’m not elite because someone paid more than me for paint? Sounds stupid.

Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

Scientifically proven that black cars are hotter than silver or white cars. It's a battery car, so I picked the color to maximize range where I live (SoCal), in addition to tinting the windows. I do also happen to think the metallic silver is a nice color for a car.

Thanks. Very interesting. An 11 degree F difference after an hour in the sun with no AC. That pretty much lines up with our experience. Imo, extremely minor.

Here in TX one of those cars would 138F and the other 149F. Both ridiculously hot

Thanks. Very interesting. An 11 degree F difference after an hour in the sun with no AC. That pretty much lines up with our experience. Imo, extremely minor.

Here in TX one of those cars would 138F and the other 149F. Both ridiculously hot

Lol. Perspective.

That assumes tho that the effect is linear for all temps, which I kinda doubt. But you're right. The difference between deathly hot and murderously hot probably doesn't make much difference.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I've owned black cars before and they are hard(er) to maintain - even small swirl marks that aren't noticeable on other colors can be fairly more noticeable on a black car. So if you want the black car to look good, you have to be extra detail oriented. If you have it ceramic coated and PPF'd then it's probably not an issue. But just one more thing to consider. And as others have said, there can be heat issues if you are in hot climates. But I also agree that a well maintained black car can look very sharp.

I actually think it just comes down to pure, personal taste. I don’t think that black shows off the lines as well as several other colors, but that is just my personal take on things. For full disclosure I love red cars and have always preferred red for sports cars (my Tesla is an M3P).

I would point out that I find it a bit strange to view black as a money saver the way the OP described it. Using their own estimate of it taking an extra hour every 2-3 weeks (let’s assume 2.5 weeks) to keep clean, that’s an extra 21 hours per year and in just 3 years of ownership, 63 hours extra spent. Now, if time truly is money, black seems a lot more expensive than it initially appears. And, if you keep the car for five years you are valuing your time at less than minimum wage (at least here in NY).

Of course if you get more pleasure out of that extra hour of detailing than you would doing something else (including going for a spirited drive), then the extra time wouldn’t matter...

Black is by far my favorite color and the nicest on any Tesla IMO. I previously had a Midnight silver S100D and really disliked the color and thought it was dull. A black car to my eye looks better no matter what and I was always jealous of the black Model S when charging at Supercharging stations :)

I also think that a dirty black car look cool both clean and dirty. A grey car will always look dull no matter what condition except for in very strong sunlight. A dirty car is also always a dirty car. During winter time I honestly think that white cars looks the dirtiest and a dirty black car still looks cool under those circumstances!

Regarding swirls... this is easily solved by having the car detailed and redo that ones or twice per year. Swirls are also just noticeable from very close distance.

Black Model 3 Performance for the win :D

Black is hard to keep clean but it's arguably the most beautiful color on a clean car.

Only 14.4% of M3s on Troy's survey are black. In the bay area, there seems to be even fewer black M3s on the road. I see a larger proportion of non-Tesla cars in black.

I get that people have the money to personalize their car a bit. But $1500+ is way overpriced. Lexus offers colors for free. BMW and Audi charge $550 and $600 more, respectively.

On the bright side, you get exercise washing your car and it's the best way to inspect for dings. It just takes me an extra hour every 2 - 3 weeks. I'm sure I'll spend less time washing during the summer.

The only other downside is that black is hotter under the sun. But that's a lot less of an issue since you can pre-cool the car.

Personally, I skipped the colors and fancy rims and bought FSD instead.

Black is hard to keep clean but it's arguably the most beautiful color on a clean car.

Only 14.4% of M3s on Troy's survey are black. In the bay area, there seems to be even fewer black M3s on the road. I see a larger proportion of non-Tesla cars in black.

I get that people have the money to personalize their car a bit. But $1500+ is way overpriced. Lexus offers colors for free. BMW and Audi charge $550 and $600 more, respectively.

On the bright side, you get exercise washing your car and it's the best way to inspect for dings. It just takes me an extra hour every 2 - 3 weeks. I'm sure I'll spend less time washing during the summer.

The only other downside is that black is hotter under the sun. But that's a lot less of an issue since you can pre-cool the car.

Personally, I skipped the colors and fancy rims and bought FSD instead.

Re keeping it clean and looking nice - I highly recommend using waterless wash. If you take a moment to learn how to use it right you won't have swirl marks or haze ever.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about this since I've been studying it since 2013 when I bought my first Tesla (a red Model S). The detailers employed by Tesla Service Center in Burbank educated me and since then I have become a Certified Detailer, shopped through various products and learned a lot about wrapped as well as unwrapped Teslas, and other aluminum body cars & trucks, as well as standard body cars.

The waterless wash that DOES NOT CONTAIN SILICON is the best. The others (many of which are popular brand names) create a slow buildup of that silicon which creates a haze. The reason waterless wash works so well is the wax is already in it. You can also get a version without wax, which is what you want for wrapped cars. A wrapped surface will attract and collect the wax, and you won't be able to buff it out. When you apply waterless do not dilute it because it's actually more lubricating than water and safer for your car than water. Once you've wiped it off, it will have a very fine haze which you buff briefly to get that really glossy Tesla shine.

Taking your car to a car wash, you're often exposing your car to dirty water (with Microparticles of soot and brake dust), thin and often dirty "rinsed" rags, and workers who are doing circular scrubbing motions which will show up later in the clear coat.

If you use waterless wash with a really thick nap (GSM 350 or higher) microfiber cloth with it, it's super easy to use and won't create any micro scratches. You can do it anywhere (don't need a hose and bucket) and conserve water if you are living in an area like California.

Black is the BEST color as long as you keep it glossy. I've seen swirl marks after just ONE visit to a car wash.

AND only use a certified detailer. So many people don't know what they are doing and use buffers incorrectly. The point of a buffer (in an annual detail) is to REMOVE a layer of the clear coat. You want this done minimally and with a light touch - and preferably with the modern rubber attachments - not old fashioned wool which will grind it down in no time. There are easy products available that you can do this yourself and it's really actually fun.

Re keeping it clean and looking nice - I highly recommend using waterless wash. If you take a moment to learn how to use it right you won't have swirl marks or haze ever.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about this since I've been studying it since 2013 when I bought my first Tesla (a red Model S). The detailers employed by Tesla Service Center in Burbank educated me and since then I have become a Certified Detailer, shopped through various products and learned a lot about wrapped as well as unwrapped Teslas, and other aluminum body cars & trucks, as well as standard body cars.

The waterless wash that DOES NOT CONTAIN SILICON is the best. The others (many of which are popular brand names) create a slow buildup of that silicon which creates a haze. The reason waterless wash works so well is the wax is already in it. You can also get a version without wax, which is what you want for wrapped cars. A wrapped surface will attract and collect the wax, and you won't be able to buff it out. When you apply waterless do not dilute it because it's actually more lubricating than water and safer for your car than water. Once you've wiped it off, it will have a very fine haze which you buff briefly to get that really glossy Tesla shine.

Taking your car to a car wash, you're often exposing your car to dirty water (with Microparticles of soot and brake dust), thin and often dirty "rinsed" rags, and workers who are doing circular scrubbing motions which will show up later in the clear coat.

If you use waterless wash with a really thick nap (GSM 350 or higher) microfiber cloth with it, it's super easy to use and won't create any micro scratches. You can do it anywhere (don't need a hose and bucket) and conserve water if you are living in an area like California.

Black is the BEST color as long as you keep it glossy. I've seen swirl marks after just ONE visit to a car wash.

AND only use a certified detailer. So many people don't know what they are doing and use buffers incorrectly. The point of a buffer (in an annual detail) is to REMOVE a layer of the clear coat. You want this done minimally and with a light touch - and preferably with the modern rubber attachments - not old fashioned wool which will grind it down in no time. There are easy products available that you can do this yourself and it's really actually fun.

Great info! I live where a normal hand wash isn’t easily done. is there a particular brand you would recommend? For a car that has front PPF and ceramic all over do I use the no wax version?

Black is the perfect base color to wrap. But terrible to have otherwise. Only looks good for like 5 minutes after cleaned. I would get a black car again actually because I'd just get it wrapped.

Luckily, I have white interior so my car being wrapped with white paint underneath in the door jambs doesn't look too off but ideally black door jambs would look best

I would not pay any extra $$ for black paint though

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt