Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my car using so much battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP23 from Feb23:
I drove 12752 Miles and Charged 4828kwh. 37.9 Kw/100 miles
Seems like i am using quite a bit of energy.

Also at 100% I am getting a 185 mile range. Originally306. 93% of original range.

Id like to think am the avg driver. Mix of suburbia driving. Hwy and city.

What do you guys think? Is this about right for a 23 Y performance?

MYP23 from Feb23:
I drove 12752 Miles and Charged 4828kwh. 37.9 Kw/100 miles
Seems like i am using quite a bit of energy.
Also at 100% I am getting a 185 mile range. Originally306. 93% of original range.
Id like to think am the avg driver. Mix of suburbia driving. Hwy and city.
What do you guys think? Is this about right for a 23 Y performance?
Yes.

I only have about 900 miles on my new M3RWD and I have a very good feel for the efficiency to expect. So I would think you should be getting a rough idea now.

I'm finding that I was getting hit by about 75 wh/mi by using A/C, and NYC has had a mild summer compared to the rest of the country. So that might be more like 100-125 wh/mi in hotter areas of the country?

I would show your trips card on the left side of the screen and pay attention to it drive to drive. That's how I realized turning off A/C saved me a lot of juice. I had originally thought the aerodynamic drag of opening windows would lower my efficiency, but open windows is still more efficient than running A/C according to my observations.

There are a lot of variables involved though. Are you relying almost entirely on regen braking? Are you using chill mode?

Reactions: Bikeman
@dakhlkt22 , there are few universal generalizations on this topic. For example, keeping the windows open and a/c off can save range for city driving / stop-and-go traffic on hot days. However, keeping the windows up is usually the better approach for maximizing range at cruising highway speeds.

@RedY23 , it is nearly impossible to comment on your experience without more information.

Winter: In cold climates you'll definitely approach 378 Wh/mile if making short trips everywhere (with a cold battery) requiring the vehicle to reheat the cabin. A long road trip would be less consumption.

Summer: You should easily be under ~ 300 Wh/mile unless you're flooring it from every stop light, using the mechanical brakes a lot, and driving 70mph+ on the highway.

There are a lot of posts on this forum about maximizing range. In my experience, everyone focusses on the insignificant. If you want maximum range / efficiency, then it's all about speed. The MYP is insanely quick. You get used to it, but if you are not accelerating extremely slow like a gas car then you're consuming way more than EPA rating. On the highway, the wind resistance (energy consumption) increases near exponentially (not linearly). You'll consume massively more energy at 75mph than at 60 mph. The EPA's range numbers come from driving like the slowest of grandmas. It is very difficult to drive like a grandma in a Performance model Tesla.

Reactions: fsb1
@dakhlkt22 , there are few universal generalizations on this topic. For example, keeping the windows open and a/c off can save range for city driving / stop-and-go traffic on hot days. However, keeping the windows up is usually the better approach for maximizing range at cruising highway speeds.

@RedY23 , it is nearly impossible to comment on your experience without more information.

Winter: In cold climates you'll definitely approach 378 Wh/mile if making short trips everywhere (with a cold battery) requiring the vehicle to reheat the cabin. A long road trip would be less consumption.

Summer: You should easily be under ~ 300 Wh/mile unless you're flooring it from every stop light, using the mechanical brakes a lot, and driving 70mph+ on the highway.

There are a lot of posts on this forum about maximizing range. In my experience, everyone focusses on the insignificant. If you want maximum range / efficiency, then it's all about speed. The MYP is insanely quick. You get used to it, but if you are not accelerating extremely slow like a gas car then you're consuming way more than EPA rating. On the highway, the wind resistance (energy consumption) increases near exponentially (not linearly). You'll consume massively more energy at 75mph than at 60 mph. The EPA's range numbers come from driving like the slowest of grandmas. It is very difficult to drive like a grandma in a Performance model Tesla.
For sure and I am aware of all that. Was trying to keep simple but as you indicate lots of variables.

Usually I charge to 80%
Car has been driven in temperate Detroit weather 70s80s this summer and its themp the readings at 100% come from.
I rarely if ever floor it. My Driving is average so much so that the battery predictions are always spot on at destination.

Looks like I am meeting the EPA standard for MYP. The range loss of 10% in 6 months/12000 miles seems excessive. At 100% listing 287 today 10%loss. But I hear that may be inaccurate.
Ive charged to 100% maybe 7 times since getting the car, most in the last few days to see if the miles will go up, and only used supercharger 3 times for 10 mins.

Anyone else with a similar MYP odometer a year or less old, what is your loss in total miles at 100%