Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my car using so much battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my 23 MYLR since the beginning of March and have felt like it uses too much battery but today really sealed the deal. According to my State Farm drive safe and save app I only drove 12.1 miles and I lost 9% of battery. I have the car in chill mode and due to the State Farm app I drive extremely slow and never floor it. I tried to make sense of it from the consumption thing in the car but it makes no sense to me. Can anyone help?

I’ve had my 23 MYLR since the beginning of March and have felt like it uses too much battery but today really sealed the deal. According to my State Farm drive safe and save app I only drove 12.1 miles and I lost 9% of battery. I have the car in chill mode and due to the State Farm app I drive extremely slow and never floor it. I tried to make sense of it from the consumption thing in the car but it makes no sense to me. Can anyone help?
First, get rid of the state farm app. Next, drive normal and see how it goes. I use the Tessie app to monitor battery health. I use the in car Energy app to monitor battery use. Just give it more time. Also do a search on TMC for "Wh/m" and you'll get a lot of info pertaining to your question. And what @E90alex says below. And... enjoy your new car, congrats!

Last edited:
What’s ur avg wh/mi?

check ur trip meter.
5C3EA287-59FE-4BDC-9705-F7A9262E191B.jpeg

DAE1C0BF-293C-421D-BE36-1D4AA62AD04D.jpeg
C6A8AA6D-3BA0-435F-BB60-A645EB68A57F.jpeg

First, get rid of the state farm app. Next, drive normal and see how it goes. I use the Tessie app to monitor battery health. I use the in car Energy app to monitor battery use. Just give it more time. Also do a search on TMC for "Wh/m" and you'll get a lot of info pertaining to your question. And what @E90alex says below. And... enjoy your new car, congrats!
I definitely plan on getting rid of the app. It annoys the hell out of me. I drive so carefully and it still dings me for things. I just want to see what kind of discount it gives me after the 6 months because insurance is so expensive here. Thanks for the reply and kind words!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah, I barely use the car honestly. I’ll give it some time before I freak out about getting almost half the stated range. Thanks for the replies everyone!
I suggest you take the car on a nice long drive one day with a supercharger as the destination.

You’ll find the car more capable than you think and really get a feel for it.

You should determine if and for how long the car goes in sleep mode.
I suspect that the State Farm constantly weak up your car.

The best way to review if the car goes in sleep mode and for how long,
is to install a 12 V Battery monitor.

So using a Bluethooth App you will be able to determine is your car goes to sleep,
but also to check if the DC/DC inverter is not always charging the 12 V battery.

Check that Sentry and Alarm are off, and also Summon is off
(See under the Auto Pilot menu inside the car display).

Typically, if not driving, the car could sleep for two or three days,
and the DC/DC inverter should be then activated for about two hopurs.

Please do so, and look at the voltage graph using your phone App.

You should determine if and for how long the car goes in sleep mode.
I suspect that the State Farm constantly weak up your car.

The best way to review if the car goes in sleep mode and for how long,
is to install a 12 V Battery monitor.

So using a Bluethooth App you will be able to determine is your car goes to sleep,
but also to check if the DC/DC inverter is not always charging the 12 V battery.

Check that Sentry and Alarm are off, and also Summon is off
(See under the Auto Pilot menu inside the car display).

Typically, if not driving, the car could sleep for two or three days,
and the DC/DC inverter should be then activated for about two hopurs.

Please do so, and look at the voltage graph using your phone App.
If that was an issue, wouldn’t the car be losing battery while it’s parked and unused? My car sits for long periods of time between drives and I don’t notice excessive battery drain at all. It’s only been when in use. And as far as I know, the State Farm app isn’t even connected to the car at all. It’s connected to a beacon that you keep inside the car.

’ll give it some time before I freak out about getting almost half the stated range.

if your usage pattern remains the same, you will never (ever) get anywhere near rated range, and there also will be nothing wrong with your car. If you are going to freak out about it, might as well start now (heh).

There are probably a couple hundred threads (threads, not posts) on this general topic, so there is plenty of discussion you can read and participate in. Miles will not roll off 1:1 basically ever, unless you are driving in a car that was connected to shore power to condition the cabin, and you drive around 40MPH.

When you first get in the car (for example to go those 12 miles) the car has to condition the cabin, just like a Gas car. One difference is, you are rolling around with the equivalent of about 3-4 gallons of gas worth of energy, so small changes reflect bigger.

In any case, TL ; DR, its not likely to change much if your driving pattern doesnt change, you will never get 1:1 mileage roll off the odometer vs miles used, and, most importantly, that doesnt mean there is anything at all wrong with your car (so you would be wasting your time to contact Tesla about your range, range meter, etc).