Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my car using so much battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LL - I also have the State Farm beacon. I does not interfere with the car battery.
My SF agent told me that you still get the discount even if you drive fast at times and go fast around turns.
You will still get the minimum discount so it pays to keep it no matter how you drive.
You get a base discount, and then they'll add more with slower acceleration and smoother braking.

Reactions: LittleLebowski
Sentry mode has been off since I got the car. It barely uses any battery when I’m not using the car. AC on the other hand is usually set at like 74-76 and I am in South Florida. Does the AC really use that much battery??
74-76, wow, lol... I have mine set to 67. Even when it was 117 degrees here I didn't notice the AC using too much battery. I was watching it closely, since I use camp mode a lot when I shuttle the kids to various activities.... I noticed it drops my battery percentage about 1-2% every hour, when I had AC set to 67 and it was 100+ degrees outside.

Given you are in South Florida, I'm assuming the terrain is mostly flat... (I live on a hill, so it takes about 4% battery to climb the hill... But when I descend, I'll get about 2% back).

I think you just need to break in your tires. I heard it takes up to 1,000 miles or so before your efficiency improves... I know when I replaced all 4 of my tires, I noticed consumption went up a bit, but then dropped back to normal after a few hundred miles.

19” or 20” wheels ?

any hills where u lives? local or highway driving?

u using one pedal driving? Will help on regen! If not, try it out and get used to it.

319 avg wh/mi is high!

u need to hit 250 ish to get EPA numbers! Possible but need to be gentle on ur pedal.

try longer drives, slow drives efficiency is horrible.

I did a test last month after rotating my 19” tires. I have on Martian aftermarket rims with Michelin power sport summer tires (with 15k mile). 50-60 degree in the sf Bay Area, just fan on. Oh yea, it’s a 2022 MYP. Mix city and hwy driving, over 5-10 mph speed limit. Standard mode.

Battery pack size is 82 kWh when new. 79 ish usable. At 82kwh, I was able to get 330 mi. My avg wh/mi is 248! I was trying tho. Regular driving, i avg 262. Punch it when I have to or every now and then, just to have a smile!

Yea OP. Update us after a long drive. Congrats and enjoy ur new car! I still do after 25k!

IMG_1139.jpeg

Are you able to get the through a day's local driving? Are you able to make it from one Supercharger to the next driving normally? If the answer is "Yes" to these questions, then you are worrying about a non existent problem. This happens frequently with New EV purchasers. You'll soon find out it's really a non issue. Drive the car and enjoy it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
As a counterpoint, I've had my MYLR with Gemini wheels since 30 April and I've driven 510 miles. I live in Northern Virginia (near DC) where the weather has varied from the low 40 degrees to high 80 degrees (F) throughout that time. My driving varies between a 60 mile round trip commute 2-3 times/week on a 55-70 mph interstate and short local shopping trips. Generally, I'm a conservative driver with a few interspersed periods of flooring it in standard mode to remember what I bought.

Across those 510 miles my average Wh/mi is 225.

Reactions: yellowr6
Yes. i posted a pic of the energy app and it’s showing 0.7% for driving and 0.3% for the a/c. So basically using the air conditioner is using almost 50% of the amount of battery it takes to drive?
I wonder if its because the cars only a couple months old if its just calibrating a bit. The energy app showed you hit the nuimbers right as predicted at the end. You'll really need a longer drive than 3mi to let everything even out.

Short trip aside, what happened that your energy consumption just went horizontal for the last mile? I would say inclination, but the app isnt showing any benefit from that.

That first screenshot you show from the energy apps "consumption" tab is wildly off from reality for me. (it used to be better)

If you look at the bottom one, you went about 3mi on about 1% which is in the ballpark. (nerd in me shows 2.8mi in 1.2% which is 2.3mi/%) that estimates you have 230mi range. Also in the ballpark.

TL;DR. I wouldnt be too concerned about this yet. Stop looking at it and drive around for a couple more months. You'll have a better feel then. I do understand your concern, but it really doesnt seem wildly out of spec. Give it some more time / miles to get its bearings.

Short trips, such as less than 8 miles each, will absolutely eat battery usage. The system needs to either heat or cool the batteries and cabin until the computers think the system is stable. That step takes a bunch of minutes while driving off, depending on the temp it has been sitting at before you drive it. Then add A/C usage, or heating, and bang, those first 8 miles can easily be at 385 to 400 Wh per mile. But, past those first miles, you should see the Wh go down considerably.

I work 1.3 miles from home. I use A LOT of energy for those drives. That high usage bothers me a bit, but I know what the car is doing, and it is performing the right steps in the right order. Winter here and warming up, preconditioning, defrosting, etc, can drive the usage into the 600 to 700 Wh/mile area or beyond for those first several miles. Sucks, but gasser cars use a ton of gas too for shorter trips.

Maybe drive the Y farther than 10 miles or more and keep that energy screen up with the 15 or 30 mile usuage selection and watch what it does. I'll bet the energy usage will drop and level off in the 200's somewhere after a while (unless you are hammering the A/C).

FYI, there was a software version that had a glitch and about 2x reported the Wh/mi in the trip and energy screens. However, the car is not actually using that much. This happened to me. If you track the miles manually or drive with the navigation on and reference the navigation's estimate, you'll see that you are not actually consuming that much Wh/mi. I don't know what software build I was on, but it was not too long before Tesla must have noticed and pushed an update out. I'm currently on 2023.12.5 and it's back to normal now.