Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is SiriusXM such an impossibility on the MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the S requires a glass or pano roof (due to the location of the antenna mount) + UHFS to support native Sirius XM. Now that those items are standard so is Sirius XM. For some reason, Tesla never really made it clear as to which options you needed to have in order to get Sirius. They don't even offer it on Model 3s, and I'm not sure if the latest "Raven" referesh comes with a

For some reason, Tesla is hellbent on limiting media/phone integration choices to just built-in Slacker, USB mass storage, FM radio (AM is now gone as well as of MCU2) and very basic bt streaming. In the early days of the S, the limited choices kinda made sense since it was, in software speak, an "MVP". Unfortunately, Tesla never really improved/iterated on their media integration, and, in fact have made it worse in some ways (removing source selection via the cluster for example). This despite the fact that if you do some searches you'll likely find thousands of posts complaining about various issues/missing features with media/phone integration. There's no way they haven't gotten the feedback that they are lacking in this area.

It's truly bizarre. Even if they just assigned 1 developer and 1 designer to working on the media player they could make it better. The only somewhat plausible explanation i've heard is that Tesla has been planning their own "Tesla radio" service for a while. Seems like they could be spending (less) money on more useful things if that's true. Sure once they have millions of cars on the road and have addressed more pressing issues, why not. But now? Just get your media player up to par with a 2011 BMW atleast. They dont even need to implement Android Auto/Carplay if that's too distasteful for Musk. Just full BT integration would be a step in the right direction.

Reactions: StarLog