Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla pushing out older FIrmware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that Tesla is pushing out firmware Ver:2021.36.5.8 in increasing numbers, while 2021.40 which purports to have waypoints added to it's Nav. software in just sitting there.
Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Without going into specific versions, they are not "old" versions. What happens is:
- The Tesla software team decide they have a new version ready (X). They start pushing it to a few cars to see how it goes.
- If there are issues, they stop. They fix the bug and release X.1. They start pushing X.1, maybe to some people using X that have hit the bug, maybe to a few new users. They monitor.
- If there's a new problem or the old one isn't fixed, they fix and release X.2, or X.1.1 depending on what they did. Start pushing this around and see how it goes.
- In the meantime they haven't sit idle. They've continued developing new features that come out in version Y. Sometimes they are still trying to revolve issues in X, which means that X has not reached everyone. They start pushing Y to some people and see how it goes.

You end up with a few streams like that in parallel. At one point they might decide that X.2.something isn't worth pursuing and they will move everyone to Y. Sometimes Y has problems and drags a long time. Instead of making everyone wait, they might push X.3.something to everyone if they find it good enough for everyone to consume (there are no known major bugs in it). If they didn't push this out, we might wait 6 months until there's a version good enough BEFORE the next big release comes out.
Most people don't know but that's how major web services work. New versions are not typically exposed to everyone at once. A new version is exposed to some users. If there's a major bug in it, no one else will see it until they fix.
Imagine if there was a bug that bricked the car and required you to go to the dealer to fix. Now imagine if that version was sent to everyone at the same time without doing some spot checks before. You will quickly agree that the current method is better.

Then you add things like forking to have two separate versions of the software in the field: one with the new FSD beta and one without. Both behave like I've explained. You will see 10+ "active" versions going out.

EDIT: Here's the last fleet updates from TeslaFi as of today:
1637187193848.png

You can see they started 2021.40 and quickly stopped. Something must be wrong with it. 2021.36.5.1 existed for a while but was only recently pushed massively. 2021.36.5.8 was pushed massively after 3 days of testing. I personally received it yesterday, after being a long while on 2021.36.5.6. I did not receive 2021.36.5.7 which means they tried fixing things and it didn't go well. Not many people got that one.

Last edited: