Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is windshild wiper info the default so many times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too many times I start driving and the windshield wiper panel is in the lower left. What the f*ck? I want to see my Wh/mile. Sure, it's a single swipe, but what is the rhyme or reason that this show up as the default so many times? Not all the time, just sometimes? What crappy O/S runs a Tesla? It better not be Microsoft? However, being that it does something different every time, it would seem so. A real O/S like linux would not act like this.
It reminds me of that great Einstein quote: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I do the same thing getting into my car every time. Why am I getting different default displays?

do you have the wipers turned off rather than on auto? i wonder if it's doing that intentionally so that you can more easily turn the wipers on if there's a sudden downpour...if you had to go swiping around the screen to turn them on, it would be a safety concern, so the car automatically goes back to the wiper button.

Too many times I start driving and the windshield wiper panel is in the lower left. What the f*ck? I want to see my Wh/mile. Sure, it's a single swipe, but what is the rhyme or reason that this show up as the default so many times? Not all the time, just sometimes? What crappy O/S runs a Tesla? It better not be Microsoft? However, being that it does something different every time, it would seem so. A real O/S like linux would not act like this.
It reminds me of that great Einstein quote: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I do the same thing getting into my car every time. Why am I getting different default displays?

I... suspect it is indeed based on Linux. From the "gstreamer" files that were once littered on the USB stick to the fact they need quite a few things that Linux provides (network stack, USB drivers, etc.) it's quite likely Linux-based. The OS is mostly irrelevant compared to the software on top of it for the problem you're discussing.

Anyhow, this seems like something to bring up with service. Perhaps there's an issue with the button on the stalk that's causing it to treat it as pressed without you pressing it.

However, a few people driving our Model 3 have accidentally hit the wiper button while trying to signal. That doesn't happen to be the potential cause, does it?

It's also possible that you are (or something you're carrying is) sometimes accidentally bumping the button on the wiper stalk when entering the vehicle. You might want to pay attention to that in the future, and maybe adjust how you enter the vehicle when carrying groceries, briefcases, backpacks, etc.

However, a few people driving our Model 3 have accidentally hit the wiper button while trying to signal. That doesn't happen to be the potential cause, does it?

I was thinking about that, but although I might be a doofus sometimes, I am not a klutz. I wouldn't have accidentally pressed the button getting in. I "may" have accidentally pressed it when using a turn signal, but as I have stated, it is not when I am driving, but when I enter the car for the first time.

FWIW, I have the same experience. The wiper display comes up first. Have to swipe to get to the energy display. Hadn't really thought much about it until the OP. It's definitely some kind of default. I am not hitting the turn signal when I enter the car.

June 2018 build and currently have 2019.32.2.1 software. Wiper panel has never displayed for me when first getting into the car as mine are always on Auto. Wipers HAVE cycled a couple of times when getting in only because there were a few drops of dew in front of the camera(s).

are you talking about the wiper module which also has the energy, and rear view camera etc?

FWIW, I have the same experience. The wiper display comes up first. Have to swipe to get to the energy display. Hadn't really thought much about it until the OP. It's definitely some kind of default. I am not hitting the turn signal when I enter the car.

For me the wiper display in the left bottom corner is the default even if I had switched off the car in the distance / energy pane earlier on.
I have auto wiper turned on

Does that mean sanity is doing different things and expecting the same result?

Sorry can't help with the wiper card coming up at times when you start I haven't seen that issue on my car. It come up with the center card swipe one way and it is the odometer swipe the other is tire pressure. Could be my car doesn't know what rain is so it doesn't know it has wipers to display the controls for.