Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why must I pay nonrefundable $100 when I've already paid $2500?

macwichie

Oct 13, 2019
Berkeley, CA
My Tesla contact is not responsive, so I'm asking here. I logged on to the Tesla website to see the status of my order, and see that they want a nonrefundable $100 "Today." Do they not know I have already paid them $2500 to reserve a car? Is this extortion?

And is there a way to get a different Tesla contact, or do I have this one forever? I think he has two other jobs.

Thanks,
Mary Ann

jonquiljo

Supporting Member
Sep 26, 2019
SF Bay Area - Marin
When did you order? I would get a hold of someone at Tesla who can look at your account. The $2500 deposits were for those of us who ordered prior to about October 15th or so. It was replaced by the $100 non-refundable deposit.

I put down $2500 - and at least until recently it was on my account as a credit. I'd check it out if it were me.

Reactions: Fiddler

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
My Tesla contact is not responsive, so I'm asking here. I logged on to the Tesla website to see the status of my order, and see that they want a nonrefundable $100 "Today." Do they not know I have already paid them $2500 to reserve a car? Is this extortion?

And is there a way to get a different Tesla contact, or do I have this one forever? I think he has two other jobs.

Thanks,
Mary Ann

I had the same problem with my SA. He was on paternity leave, then left Tesla :( I would call the 800 # or the local store

macwichie

Oct 13, 2019
Berkeley, CA
Thanks, everyone, that makes things a bit clearer. I will call their 800 number and find out. Puppers, I did change the color, but then got a VIN, and after that I couldn't change it, which is fine.

Reactions: jonquiljo

jonquiljo

Supporting Member
Sep 26, 2019
SF Bay Area - Marin
Thanks, everyone, that makes things a bit clearer. I will call their 800 number and find out. Puppers, I did change the color, but then got a VIN, and after that I couldn't change it, which is fine.
You got a VIN and you're in California?! Wow. I think you are the first one this quarter. It couldn't have been in inventory.

Fiddler

Jun 18, 2014
Bowie, Md
macwichie, ... "I did change the color, but then got a VIN, and after that I couldn't change it" ...
Maybe Mary Ann means that she got a Reservation Number, RN.

EVDRVN

May 12, 2018
North Bay Area
There is no such thing as a non-refundable deposit in CA on a new vehicle that has not been delivered even though Tesla would like you to believe so.

macwichie

Oct 13, 2019
Berkeley, CA
I thought I got a VIN, but apparently not. It was a long number and I can't find it now. Probably was an RN. I'm new at this, obviously.

Tesla doesn't help you much when you are buying a car. I've never had an email from them, I see changes only when I go to the website. And my SA is useless.

EVDRVN

May 12, 2018
North Bay Area
So that $100 is refundable then? lol

Per CA DMV:

It is unlawful for any dealer licensed under this article to do any of the following when brokering a retail sale:

(c) Fail to refund any purchase money, including purchase deposits, upon demand by a consumer at any time prior to the consumer's signing of a vehicle purchase agreement with a selling dealer and taking delivery of the vehicle described in the brokering agreement.

I also strong suggest opting out of the forced arbitration clause in writing before the 30 day limit. Tesla relies on this to avoid accountability on commitments and issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC