Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why must I pay nonrefundable $100 when I've already paid $2500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla contact is not responsive, so I'm asking here. I logged on to the Tesla website to see the status of my order, and see that they want a nonrefundable $100 "Today." Do they not know I have already paid them $2500 to reserve a car? Is this extortion?

And is there a way to get a different Tesla contact, or do I have this one forever? I think he has two other jobs.

Thanks,
Mary Ann

When did you order? I would get a hold of someone at Tesla who can look at your account. The $2500 deposits were for those of us who ordered prior to about October 15th or so. It was replaced by the $100 non-refundable deposit.

I put down $2500 - and at least until recently it was on my account as a credit. I'd check it out if it were me.

Reactions: Fiddler
My Tesla contact is not responsive, so I'm asking here. I logged on to the Tesla website to see the status of my order, and see that they want a nonrefundable $100 "Today." Do they not know I have already paid them $2500 to reserve a car? Is this extortion?

And is there a way to get a different Tesla contact, or do I have this one forever? I think he has two other jobs.

Thanks,
Mary Ann

I had the same problem with my SA. He was on paternity leave, then left Tesla :( I would call the 800 # or the local store

I thought I got a VIN, but apparently not. It was a long number and I can't find it now. Probably was an RN. I'm new at this, obviously.

Tesla doesn't help you much when you are buying a car. I've never had an email from them, I see changes only when I go to the website. And my SA is useless.

So that $100 is refundable then? lol

Per CA DMV:

It is unlawful for any dealer licensed under this article to do any of the following when brokering a retail sale:

(c) Fail to refund any purchase money, including purchase deposits, upon demand by a consumer at any time prior to the consumer's signing of a vehicle purchase agreement with a selling dealer and taking delivery of the vehicle described in the brokering agreement.

I also strong suggest opting out of the forced arbitration clause in writing before the 30 day limit. Tesla relies on this to avoid accountability on commitments and issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler