Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no CCS cap in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I charge my M3SR+ in the rain I am wondering why there is no cap to protect the CCS charger. My Leaf has a cover for the Chademo and the Type 1, the new ID3/4 have a cap for the CCS so why does the Model 3 not have one. Is there not the danger that water gets into the connector?

Or is it that the people that designed it in California have no idea what proper rain looks like?

The charge port flap also acts as a bit of a cover? But yes, I was inspecting this yesterday and there are definitely drain holes in the charge port. I’ve not heard of any widespread issues with the charge port, so I guess a cover is not strictly required.

Reactions: ParHunter
I have tried 3-D printing a CCS cap but it stuck out just a little too much preventing the charge flap from fully closing.
Ditto when buying a dual Type-2 & CCS combo rubber cover - looked and fitted fine but was still a touch too fat for the charge flap to close flat.
Even just cutting the type-2 part of the dual cover off and leaving the CCS part still prevented the flap fully closing.
There's precious little clearance between the sockets and the charge flap.

Though messy, it might be possible to use any type of CCS cap whilst the charge flap is open with a type-2 charging plug inserted so that it protects the exposed CCS socket but you'll need to store it somewhere else when you've finished charging so it won't obstruct the charge flap.

Reactions: ParHunter
Whenever I charge my M3SR+ in the rain I am wondering why there is no cap to protect the CCS charger. My Leaf has a cover for the Chademo and the Type 1, the new ID3/4 have a cap for the CCS so why does the Model 3 not have one. Is there not the danger that water gets into the connector?

Or is it that the people that designed it in California have no idea what proper rain looks like?

Yes, I think that crosses everybody's mind! I used a third party cap for a while to cover the DC pins but it kept getting stuck so now I don't bother. The forum isn't full of people having issues so I think that's your answer. Oh, and though California doesn't have the variety of rain type or frequency they can have VERY heavy rain when it actually comes! (Think the ultimate summer rain storm battering down that you have ever seen in the UK.) When Hollywood made movies years ago that were supposedly set in the UK they often wanted to show it raining ... and it never looked like "our rain" it was always represented as hammering down heavy stuff like you get in mediterranean type climates ... because that's how they thought rain would be here!)