Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Holiday Update for pre 2021 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I am about to say I mean very gently: For someone that's been on these forums since 2020, you should know how Tesla and "schedules" work by now. :)
Ha Ha, You've got me there. I do and I am relatively certain most of what is promised will come with time. Just grumpy because it is so damn hot here in Texas on Christmas.

Older S/X (“Legacy”) cars will get the Holiday update, but they won’t get all the features. See Introducing Software V11.0.
So, since I have the MCU2 & HW3 update in my 2017 Model S, does that mean I have the Intel Atom Processor?

If so, does the "Intel Atom Processor" under the "Legacy Model S/X" column (instead of a check mark or dash) mean I will or won't get that feature?
I'm ASSUMING it means I will get that "Feature", but I wanted to verify.

Thanks.

Reactions: Elguero213
Seems ridiculous to me that they can't figure out the blind spot camera and live sentry mode for Intel atom X cars. It's essentially the same hardware as model 3/y.

What possible reason would they have to not include those 2 features on legacy x/y with mcu2?

I have no idea. However, if I were to draw trends from what I've seen in other silicon valley companies:
- Tesla kept shipping product while competitors floundered under the global supply chain shortage
- They did this in no small part by leveraging flexibility in tech components they put into cars
- Lots of different parts means more drivers / compilation targets / etc for Engineering to maintain == higher complexity
- Here comes v11, which requires broad re-writes targeting most of the fleet, and Eng started screaming
- The company agreed to cut the fraction of the fleet to get updates (at least initially), so Eng could ship on time
- Eventually, Product Management agreed to make these scope cuts permanent, because it will help Eng move faster in 2022+

I'm sure this is a caricature or even wildly wrong in many respects.... but it seems plausible to me. :)

Reactions: bhzmark
I don’t understand why there won’t be Sentry Mode Live Camera Access and Blind Spot Camera on pre-2021 Model S???

For example, all Ravens have the same MCU than Model 3/Y.

Blind Spot Camera could even be displayed on instrument cluster!
I don't really see much need of the blind spot feature in the MS. The MS visualization shows you a 360 view of what is around the car and it is right in front of you on the instrument cluster. Unlike the MY or M3 you don't have to look away to check the visualization.

Reactions: Wadisr
Older S/X (“Legacy”) cars will get the Holiday update, but they won’t get all the features. See Introducing Software V11.0.
I am glad you pointed this out. I am totally cool with the legacy features listed, and I get it that newer cars get a certain amount of exclusivity, that makes sense. I just wonder how long it will take because until it happens "legacy" cars in the beta program are stuck with the crap that is 10.6.1.

I am glad you pointed this out. I am totally cool with the legacy features listed, and I get it that newer cars get a certain amount of exclusivity, that makes sense. I just wonder how long it will take because until it happens "legacy" cars in the beta program are stuck with the crap that is 10.6.1.
We aren't owed jack.

It’s a 1st world problem, but I have a 2021 Model S since I purchased in December of 2020. So this is definitely sucks. I knew refresh was coming soon but I had no vehicle at all, so I had to make a purchase
This is pretty wild.

On one hand - 12 out of 19 brand new features on my 2017 Tesla is awesome.

But on a 2021, I mean... I don't even know what to say. I'm seeing people angrily posting how much they paid for their new Model S / X a year ago and there's like this new mentality forming in my head as I try to figure out how to avoid a situation like that for myself.

Reactions: TSLC
My old iphone can't do the newest iphone stuff.

So I got a new iphone.

My old laptop can't do the newest laptop stuff.

So I got a new laptop.

My 2014 Model S can't do the newest Model S stuff.

So I got a Plaid.
Live in Europe. Cannot buy a plaid till 2024. Guess I wil be forced to use old stuff then with non functional fsd. Might buy the new Audi instead.

This is pretty wild.

On one hand - 12 out of 19 brand new features on my 2017 Tesla is awesome.

But on a 2021, I mean... I don't even know what to say. I'm seeing people angrily posting how much they paid for their new Model S / X a year ago and there's like this new mentality forming in my head as I try to figure out how to avoid a situation like that for myself.

Lesson: when the new version of $thing is announced in December, if you care about future-proofing, do not buy the old version of $thing a month later. Better to wait until the new version is released.

Reactions: SO16
Correct. And FSD =/= Holiday Update. Merry Christmas!
Didn't say I was owed the holiday update, just correcting 'we aren't owed jack'..I'm owed FSD, but I'll be getting it before the end of 2019! Can't wait! :).

(being in eap, and in the beta program, I would also expect updates, especially those promoted heavily by the company, but Tesla is a cruel mistress)

And yes, Merry Xmas!

misleading = lying by omission. Why would they omit such a huge portion of the customer base without a mention? Perhaps there will be a secondary wave or modified version because there are lots of 2020's, 2019 Ravens out there, some just purchased a little over a year ago.
I purchase FSD with my 2 year old model x, so I'm fact I am owed something. The FSD promised when I forked over the cash 2 years ago.
I agree, but I paid 5 years ago. We should have priority.