Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Holiday Update for pre 2021 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After initially seeing V11 on my wife's Model Y, i was not a fan of the update and thought its just as well we hadn't gotten it on our legacy cars...... At almost 50 struggling with smaller fonts, the update just made me pause about having this in the Model S.....however after downloading it and playing around with it, I am pretty happy, we didnt get alot of what newer owners are having, but it does make our cars "seem" a little newer or updated. I know its not a big deal, but seeing the font changes initially was concerning, I think its gonna grow on me. Im happy.

Agreed. My guess is either they didn't finish the update for "legacy" MS/MX in time, or they ran into a critical bug that needed to be fixed.
I’d be shocked if we didn’t get the full update. Within say a month, max.

Try rotating your phone. Does it still work in landscape? Of course it does.

It’s just a different layout for that orientation and should be very little “code” difference. But there might be some.

Displays are configured separately. It should just be a separate layout configuration. If it’s not, we have bigger problems.

We have the same computers and it’s just a portrait vs landscape display.

The much older cars have different computers that probably have less memory and slower CPU and in some cases can’t handle new features. 2018+ portrait cars should eventually get the same update as 2018+ landscape cars.

Reactions: davezforce
I cannot help but be amazed that this « Legacy » rollout started on a Sunday night… of the Christmas weekend.
Thanks Tesla team, though I wonder sometimes if it is passion, flexible working hours… or something less nice that makes this happen.

Anyway, hope some of them read this and big thank you from a legacy customer 😎 (still waiting, but 6+ years thought me to be patient)

Reactions: squarepeg77
My car has the update pending but I'm not going to install it since I like my 1 touch buttons being winter and all here. Hopefully after the feedback they receive they will add it to the customizable options in a future release. Looking at their supported features for 'legacy' cars I'm not really interested in pushing the install button anytime soon.
Same boat.

Not installing until they fix the one touch access to my ventilated seats

Finally got the holiday update! Didn't notify me in the my phone app, I have an android, even though typically it has. Maybe would have if I waited a bit. Still bummed that there isn't blind spot cameras for turning and the remote sentry camera viewing. Not sure how it's not an option given the cameras are there... Those were two features I really wanted. Crossing my fingers its something they can roll out to 2016/2017 Model S/X vehicles at some point . Would make sense that they prioritize the larger groups of vehicles with the more recent tech stacks. I'm nervous it is an incompatibility problem though. Curious if anyone has heard anything from Tesla on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wadisr
I've only seen a portion of this thread but have seen many posts on the Tesla Facebook group pages and in other media, and sense that there is even more negative reaction to this new release than most. Today I was watching a video on YouTube by Bjorn Nyland, who is one of the earliest and most supportive YouTubers, and he said he would refuse to install the version 11 because it was so bad. When someone like him, who has had multiple tesla cars and is a loyal long-term supporter, being so negative, I'd say you know that Tesla screwed up big-time.
My 2015 Model S has not received a notice of any new release, and I would certainly not install l it based upon what I have heard about it!
I hope that the Tesla tech does not install it when he comes for my recall inspection of the frunk release....

Reactions: Ciaopec and ucmndd
It'll be interesting to see how they change up the UI - probably once I finally get used to it :) Overall not too bad but on the first drive out both screens froze and ended up pulling over to force a reboot. After that all was good. Probably should have just rebooted ahead of time after the update before heading out. I do like being able to customize the screen but like most, I prefer to have easy access to my seat warmers.

Reactions: David29
I highly doubt this presumptuous conclusion. Vertical screen needs its own creation and beta testing. Let’s be patient. It’s free…
I'd argue it is not "free" in the sense that they usually break stuff that they should have left alone. In my six years with my Model S, the UI has steadily been degraded in readability, with tiny gray fonts and removal and relocation of information. I agree there have been new features added, but it seems that whoever designs the screens looks at them only on some huge desktop monitor and never sees them in a real car while driving at 80 mph and being busy with the driving task. Other modern cars I have seen or used generally have much more readable UIs, especially the instrument clusters. It is worse than useless to put indications on a screen in a way that makes them nearly invisible. The "HOLD" indication is a fairly recent example -- sometime earlier in 2021, it was relocated, made gray and tiny, and now I can usually not see it. WHY???? Pure incompetence, haste, insufficient testing, and lack of proper Human factors review, is my guess.