Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
97% of cars have Apple Carplay support today. Tesla stands alone as the only brand insisting on proprietary nav. They had best in class for the proprietary folks. But, it only supports a few music options and you have to pay $10/month. BT integration is bad on Tesla. There is no good Podcast option. For the 97%, they have tons of music, podcast, audio book options. Tesla requires you to switch to the few that they support.

Tesla maps are okay, but not close to Waze or integrated into the phone environment well. On my phone with Carplay, it finds addresses from my calendar. Google Auto finds hotel reservations and suggests routing there.

That is why the other brands abandoned the proprietary approach.

97% of cars have Apple Carplay support today. Tesla stands alone as the only brand insisting on proprietary nav. They had best in class for the proprietary folks. But, it only supports a few music options and you have to pay $10/month. BT integration is bad on Tesla. There is no good Podcast option. For the 97%, they have tons of music, podcast, audio book options. Tesla requires you to switch to the few that they support.

Tesla maps are okay, but not close to Waze or integrated into the phone environment well. On my phone with Carplay, it finds addresses from my calendar. Google Auto finds hotel reservations and suggests routing there.

That is why the other brands abandoned the proprietary approach.
Tesla stand alone on most everything
And I see your point, having said that, everything can be improved on, perhaps in future updates, the Apple system will be behind
How is bluetooth integration bad, haven't had any issues with it yet ?
Apple iTunes charge monthly for music as well, as far as I'm aware digital copyrights require that

How is bluetooth integration bad, haven't had any issues with it yet ?
Apple iTunes charge monthly for music as well, as far as I'm aware digital copyrights require that

The connection is flakey on BT. You cannot see playlists. There is no scrub. Etc. The interfaces on my phone are far better than the BT controls on the Tesla screen. I am picking up my phone all the time because of this, which is illegal in some states.

On Tesla, you pay for the data connection even though my phone already has an unlimited plan. You have to pay for Spotify too. I have been a Pandora user for 10 years and am not switching because I drive a Tesla sometimes. I use a couple podcast programs and Tesla has nothing there.

I have a few cars that I drive and having a consistent interface that matches my phone is convenient. I curse myself when I get in the Tesla.

The connection is flakey on BT. You cannot see playlists. There is no scrub. Etc. The interfaces on my phone are far better than the BT controls on the Tesla screen. I am picking up my phone all the time because of this, which is illegal in some states.

On Tesla, you pay for the data connection even though my phone already has an unlimited plan. You have to pay for Spotify too. I have been a Pandora user for 10 years and am not switching because I drive a Tesla sometimes. I use a couple podcast programs and Tesla has nothing there.

I have a few cars that I drive and having a consistent interface that matches my phone is convenient. I curse myself when I get in the Tesla.
Easy fix, one only needs a Tesla, sell the rest :rolleyes:
j/k

Interesting "opinion"
Tesla develops all their software, not relying on cell phone mfgs for this
I guess you just have to have a different mind set, I don't feel tethered to a phone in the MY
It's there wireless charging, not sure why you would use a phone for navi, didn't in my ACURA or the Tesla
As far as infotainment, how is that F-150 ahead ?

First keep in mind this is a rental car I'd never driven. I don't even like Fords.

I told the Ford to go to One Edwards. It instantly searched my phone and found out I was referring to Edward's Lifesciences in Irvine, CA. The music turned down when the audio instructions were given. Siri also worked. Virtually all the annoying quirks were gone.

It did the same thing with phone numbers. Way better than my X does. When I tell it to call my wife, it did not switch User Profiles like the Tesla. But this is not news. It's years old now and everyone has it. I'm not talking luxury cars or features. I'm referring to what is considered to be base functions in a car today.

First keep in mind this is a rental car I'd never driven. I don't even like Fords.

I told the Ford to go to One Edwards. It instantly searched my phone and found out I was referring to Edward's Lifesciences in Irvine, CA. The music turned down when the audio instructions were given. Siri also worked. Virtually all the annoying quirks were gone.

It did the same thing with phone numbers. Way better than my X does. When I tell it to call my wife, it did not switch User Profiles like the Tesla. But this is not news. It's years old now and everyone has it. I'm not talking luxury cars or features. I'm referring to what is considered to be base functions in a car today.
That is impressive
Oh well, onwards and upwards then, Tesla will have to catch up in this aspect

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

They should at least provide Apple carplay for convenience, especially that we pay now for premium connectivity. But with saying that, LONG LIVE TESLA, they'll get it hopefully sooner than later.

They should at least provide Apple carplay for convenience, especially that we pay now for premium connectivity. But with saying that, LONG LIVE TESLA, they'll get it hopefully sooner than later.

You are 100% right - absence of Android AUTO / Apple carplay is ridiculous in 2020. Tesla allows itself to do this because demand is still high. When real competition will come, this will change.

Hopefully Ford has learned from its own disastrous launch of the Explorer/Aviator. On the plus side, it was widely acknowledged inside and outside of Ford and was front and center at their shareholder meeting, which is step one: admit you have a problem.

$70K Aviator up for a top automotive honor — but some buyers have horror stories

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-explorer-launch-problems-lessons-shareholder-meeting/
Remember when Ford botch the release of the aluminium F-150 a few years ago? Their best selling vehicle had supply issues for 8 months after release until they figured out how to stamp aluminum.

• Funny
I rented the a stripped Ford F150 at Enterprise recently.
It's cellphone integration and nav is superior to my 2020 Model X which cost nearly 3 times as much.

It's not a well kept secret that Tesla is >4 years behind the curve in infotainment from all the other automakers. It's an acceptable trade-off in my opinion. But should another EV match the Tesla performance and range, then all bets are off.

I promise you this is not true.

I've rented F150s recently myself and my mom has a Ford product. Ford is one of my favorite mainstream automakers and I've recommended several to friends and family. Still, the standard infotainment is nothing special and there's nothing futuristic about it...at least not compared to a Model 3; not sure what you mean. My current Range Rover infotainment has been an absolute disaster since day 1. Both of these systems support Carplay, which is fantastic, but their native systems aren't great. Even the standard Porsche system is far more dated than the Tesla system. Aside from a lack of Carplay and Android Auto in Teslas, I can't understand what you're referring to.

Tesla has the best proprietary nav, but they should offload the media and maps to our phones. I agree that most have bad interfaces for car systems. Paying $10 a month and having to switch to the one or two that Tesla supports is not something I am willing to do. Even with that, I mostly listen to podcasts and Tesla has nothing workable there.

• Funny
Why so much Mach-E hate? Elon wanted competition and now he’s got it (well, eventually. It’s not out yet.).

Is it so unbelievable that someone is interested in a non-tesla on a tesla forum?

I’ll go along with it. Even if he is a troll, there isn’t anything he could say to diss Tesla that we can’t refute (except the indisputable paint problems on many cars).

There is a lot that I like about the Mach-E, but I have a hard time getting past the name and styling. The car would be a lot more appealing if it had it's own identity instead of some reliance on the Mustang to make it relevant. Maybe they will launch a Lincoln version which more upscale styling and come up with a new name.