Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly was surprised there was no SiriusXM, but then I realized what I had been paying (I want my Howard Stern) and I cancelled it on my last car. I just listen to podcasts mostly anyway.
Tesla's always had a rather ambivalent relationship with SXM. In the early days of the S, you had to get the high-end audio to get SXM, and then around 2015, they made it a requirement to also get the $1,500 sunroof, even with the high-end audio system.
While they eventually made SXM standard in the MS and MX, they intentionally omitted it (even as an option!) in the M3, and now the MY.

So at least the SXM app would be a token gesture and additional options to FM, TuneIn and Spotify.

Tesla's always had a rather ambivalent relationship with SXM. In the early days of the S, you had to get the high-end audio to get SXM, and then around 2015, they made it a requirement to also get the $1,500 sunroof, even with the high-end audio system.
While they eventually made SXM standard in the MS and MX, they intentionally omitted it (even as an option!) in the M3, and now the MY.

So at least the SXM app would be a token gesture and additional options to FM, TuneIn and Spotify.

We can still get SXM in the car, of course, if we have an account with Internet streaming. Just stream it from the phone. But not ideal.

We can still get SXM in the car, of course, if we have an account with Internet streaming. Just stream it from the phone. But not ideal.

I've been doing this for several years with my current car (not yet in a MY but will be ordering one "soon"). I download Howard Stern shows at home over WiFi and then stream them over Bluetooth in my car. For Stern, this is the ONLY way to listen. In the past when I listened over the SXM radio in the car, I'd end up hearing the same parts of the show multiple times and miss others just due to timing I was in the car. Now I listen when it's convenient for me. :)

<SNIP>

Imo even Supercharging still is to be avoided, and it’s PHEV for road trips until charging is the same as filling up.
<SNIP>
With 130,000 miles in Supercharging road trips under my belt, I can say that charging stops are a pleasant diversion. Gives one a chance to relax, and smell the roses if you will. I have found interesting places, people, and things to do as a result of stopping to charge. It is obviously not for you, but my wife and I enjoy that part of the experience along with the quiet and comfortable ride. YMMV

With 130,000 miles in Supercharging road trips under my belt, I can say that charging stops are a pleasant diversion. Gives one a chance to relax, and smell the roses if you will. I have found interesting places, people, and things to do as a result of stopping to charge. It is obviously not for you, but my wife and I enjoy that part of the experience along with the quiet and comfortable ride. YMMV
Then you’d really like the E-Tron. More relaxing and roses to smell, if you will, and a more quiet and comfortable ride. But the 0-60 acceleration is ICE level slow.

Nevertheless PHEVs are often overlooked. Right now they’re still more ICE than EV, but hopefully in the future that will flip.

Then you’d really like the E-Tron. More relaxing and roses to smell, if you will, and a more quiet and comfortable ride. But the 0-60 acceleration is ICE level slow.

Nevertheless PHEVs are often overlooked. Right now they’re still more ICE than EV, but hopefully in the future that will flip.

I have had two Lexus hybrids. Nice but not BEV. I have no use for PHEVs as they fall into the same category. And the E-tron and its
ilk would make cross country travel even less enjoyable. Thanks. Until something like the Tesla and the Supercharging network comes along I am good. Even just around town with charging at home the others don't interest me; I am not in to knobs and switches. I spent 40 years in the air and have seen enough of the clutter. The minimalist approach at Tesla, scary at first, is now most welcome and I can't imagine anything that I would want more. Looked at the eTron; rode in a Taycan; Jaguar, meh. Nothing offers the versatility of the Tesla.
Great carrying capacity; great range (even with a 4 year old 90D); speed; handling; joy of driving.

Keep coming back to the Supercharging network. If I need it, it's there and generally reliable.

But, we all have a different frame of reference so what doesn't work for me makes someone else giddy.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass and db93
The Mustang Mach-E arguably has the better brand name. It is also faster and has a better interior!
Wait wait its also WAY UGLIER THAN ANY CAR EVER MADE
mache.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Bridor and kmacm20
I have had two Lexus hybrids. Nice but not BEV. I have no use for PHEVs as they fall into the same category. And the E-tron and its
ilk would make cross country travel even less enjoyable. Thanks. Until something like the Tesla and the Supercharging network comes along I am good. Even just around town with charging at home the others don't interest me; I am not in to knobs and switches. I spent 40 years in the air and have seen enough of the clutter. The minimalist approach at Tesla, scary at first, is now most welcome and I can't imagine anything that I would want more. Looked at the eTron; rode in a Taycan; Jaguar, meh. Nothing offers the versatility of the Tesla.
Great carrying capacity; great range (even with a 4 year old 90D); speed; handling; joy of driving.

Keep coming back to the Supercharging network. If I need it, it's there and generally reliable.

But, we all have a different frame of reference so what doesn't work for me makes someone else giddy.
But think of all the roses you could smell with E-Tron. Relaxing charging stops!

• Disagree
Reactions: db93
I'm glad the Mach-E exists. I think it looks nice. I had a 2013 Flex with Ecoboost and it was great. And solid competition will keep Tesla innovating.

If it weren't for dealer markup this would be a little harder. Mostly due to the federal tax incentive. But as it stands the cost saving is a wash. And Tesla's charging network makes this an easy choice for me.

Reactions: Ciaopec
He meant that you'd probably be at an Audi dealership to get an E-Tron. Not Jaguar.
Oh, yeah, there's that.:confused: But same issue of dealing with a dealer that doesn't see a lot of service income on EVs to have expertise or the need to care.

So many also-rans that haven't noticed there will be no "Tesla killer." Unless and until a robust and economical charging network is built.