Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why pay for PPF & ceramic coating when you can just repaint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Perhaps this will help.

PPF would be worth the money if you get a lot of small rock chips etc that is not strong enough to puncture the film, which is shown well in the video.
However, in the case of bigger dings and scratches that would penetrate the film, PPF seems like a waste of money.

On top of that, proper installation with special care to the edges of the film is very important because poor installations often cause other problems like dirt and grime starting to accumulate in the edges of the film or the edges starting to peel, etc. after a few years. So I would not recommend searching for the cheapest installer for PPF.

Personally I spent 7k to apply PPF to all painted surfaces of the car and headlights. I know value-wise, it may not be a great choice. But I do get a sense of peace of mind knowing that the car's paint will not be affected by most rocks or debris that come my way. I may still get a few big enough dings that go through the film over the years, but without the film it would be much more frequently.

Of course not, but after 4 years or ownership and I’m planning on keeping the vehicle? Sure why not.

PPF might not even last that long and will start peeling/lifting. Coating would need to be reapplied too. Doesn’t make economic sense to me
Uhhh… if done by a shop like mine… if it peels it’s under warranty and they will replace if free of charge… I believe all cork products have that warranty… I haven’t had one mark on my hood and front bumper… it has been hit with rock and all kinds of stuff…. Still looks perfect… wife’s car looks horrible… hahaha

Perhaps this will help.

PPF would be worth the money if you get a lot of small rock chips etc that is not strong enough to puncture the film, which is shown well in the video.
However, in the case of bigger dings and scratches that would penetrate the film, PPF seems like a waste of money.

On top of that, proper installation with special care to the edges of the film is very important because poor installations often cause other problems like dirt and grime starting to accumulate in the edges of the film or the edges starting to peel, etc. after a few years. So I would not recommend searching for the cheapest installer for PPF.

Personally I spent 7k to apply PPF to all painted surfaces of the car and headlights. I know value-wise, it may not be a great choice. But I do get a sense of peace of mind knowing that the car's paint will not be affected by most rocks or debris that come my way. I may still get a few big enough dings that go through the film over the years, but without the film it would be much more frequently.
All painted surfaces is overkill for most, as the most popular option tends to be the full front clip with rockers and mirrors. Cost for that is 3-4k at quality shops, but then windshield protection, paint correction, ceramic, and tint will take that higher. It is all about peace-of-mind. In my case, my children destroy everything else I own and this is the one thing in my power to keep nice.

Knowing I am well protected from the barrage of tollway debris on my soulless commute alongside the worst of humanity (I-294 in Chicago) — this investment is worth it several times over.

All painted surfaces is overkill for most, as the most popular option tends to be the full front clip with rockers and mirrors. Cost for that is 3-4k at quality shops, but then windshield protection, paint correction, ceramic, and tint will take that higher. It is all about peace-of-mind. In my case, my children destroy everything else I own and this is the one thing in my power to keep nice.

Knowing I am well protected from the barrage of tollway debris on my soulless commute alongside the worst of humanity (I-294 in Chicago) — this investment is worth it several times over.
wow...that's a bit over priced IMO....it's only $1800 at my shop....and they get Teslas from the factory straight to their shop before the customer gets the car.....this way they are protected from the get-go. I think it depends on region...like I know it would cost way more in NYC than down south....and probably more in Cali...

Had the same dilema going on in my head about this same topic. It really is preference and also what you want to achieve with PPF + ceramic. 7-8k if you can afford it; there’s logic & rationalization properties to it - but in the end it’s what you prefer. In my case - got to achieve a different look while putting sort of a screen protector & case on my tech - $100/$1000 IPhone is 10% while $7k/$70k care is 10%.

wow...that's a bit over priced IMO....it's only $1800 at my shop....and they get Teslas from the factory straight to their shop before the customer gets the car.....this way they are protected from the get-go. I think it depends on region...like I know it would cost way more in NYC than down south....and probably more in Cali...
Yeah I am Chicago prices. I know I could find it cheaper here too but nobody is going to be better than the folks I use (Chicago Auto Pros).

Reactions: E.Potter
I once traded in a car that had been repainted but I did not disclose that before I brought the vehicle in for trade-in inspection, I did not realize it was an issue. The car passed the inspection just fine but the salesman had a little bit of a freak out saying that a repainted vehicle suggested an accident, lowered its resale value, and now they could not give me as much trade-in value even though the car was fine and had no VIN history of an accident. Maybe that is a reason for a wrap over repainting?

For me I don't really want to drop a large amount of money on a car that, while amazing, isn't really the kind of car PPF was made for.

People on here have said time and time again; PPF was made for cars that cost as much as a model 3 just to paint it.

So really I would ask if the original paint is that important to you. People say that it increases resale value but I'm sure if your car is in good condition with a nice paint, even not original, someone will pay just as much.

For me I like the MSM that I am getting on the M3 I have being delivered next month. But at the same time...I don't really love it so much that I don't think I'll ever want to make a change.

My plan when I get the car is to get touch up paint. Anything minor that happens can be touched up. In the future I will probably wrap it and that's still cheaper than getting PPF. A wrapped car in good condition will still have a similar resale value.

Personally I also plan to just keep the car for a very long time even when I upgrade, so resale doesn't even matter to me. I'll likely just change the wrap someday in the future too when I want something different.

Additionally, as for the ceramic coat, I just plan to wax it to keep that shine. It's pretty easy to do with great results. Taking care of a nice car is relaxing.

For me I don't really want to drop a large amount of money on a car that, while amazing, isn't really the kind of car PPF was made for.

People on here have said time and time again; PPF was made for cars that cost as much as a model 3 just to paint it.

So really I would ask if the original paint is that important to you. People say that it increases resale value but I'm sure if your car is in good condition with a nice paint, even not original, someone will pay just as much.

For me I like the MSM that I am getting on the M3 I have being delivered next month. But at the same time...I don't really love it so much that I don't think I'll ever want to make a change.

My plan when I get the car is to get touch up paint. Anything minor that happens can be touched up. In the future I will probably wrap it and that's still cheaper than getting PPF. A wrapped car in good condition will still have a similar resale value.

Personally I also plan to just keep the car for a very long time even when I upgrade, so resale doesn't even matter to me. I'll likely just change the wrap someday in the future too when I want something different.

Additionally, as for the ceramic coat, I just plan to wax it to keep that shine. It's pretty easy to do with great results. Taking care of a nice car is relaxing.
Agreed! Will be my approach, too. I can't fathom dropping $7-$10k on a quality PPF + ceramic coating install. With proper maintenance, washes, waxes, clay bars, etc, I'm hoping to keep it in good condition. I'd rather save that chunk of cash for my next vehicle, lol.

For me, because I have the tools and have done professional detailing, I plan to maintain the paint on a regular basis on my own, and apply the Ceramic Coating when I first get the car. If I were to do the PPF, I would do the whole car, and the cost of doing that is just not worth it to me. YMMV.

Reactions: CoryARamirez
For me, because I have the tools and have done professional detailing, I plan to maintain the paint on a regular basis on my own, and apply the Ceramic Coating when I first get the car. If I were to do the PPF, I would do the whole car, and the cost of doing that is just not worth it to me. YMMV.
Any advice for someone who wants to start doing professional level detailing to their own car? :)

Don't take this the wrong way, but that's just a money flex. It doesn't cost that much but pay whatever you want for perceived quality received,
$7k+ is not out of the ordinary for a high quality full car paint correction and PPF. Ideally the PPF should be installed on a freshly paint corrected car or else any swirls and scratches can show underneath the PPF. And a lot of premium shops will ceramic coat the PPF at the end as well.

Can you get it done cheaper? Absolutely. You can even DIY for under $1000 in pre-cut materials. Is it worth the cost for most people? Absolutely not. But for the truly meticulous people that want the best job and best quality then they’ll pay for it.

Personally I think a full car PPF wrap is a waste but to each their own. I would at most do a full front end for PPF for a car I really cared about and wanted to keep for a very long period.

Reactions: 8rain
XPEL Austin. The corporate shop charges 7k for clear and 8k for stealth. Additional 1,100 for ceramic on top. Ceramic alone is 2,100. The prices are pretty standard from what I see around the nation, but they have gone up in recent years. About 5 years ago, it was 5,500-6,500 for full vehicles. Anyways, the cost is just way too much in my opinion. I agree it is really nice and you never have to worry about your paint, but not worth it. I understand exotics (Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc.) as these people truly have disposable income. With that being said, I do plan to get the full front as I was highly disturbed on an older A3 that had all these chips. Sold the car and bought an S3 and wrapped the whole car, which I regret. Save your money and only do the front.

XPEL Austin. The corporate shop charges 7k for clear and 8k for stealth. Additional 1,100 for ceramic on top. Ceramic alone is 2,100. The prices are pretty standard from what I see around the nation, but they have gone up in recent years. About 5 years ago, it was 5,500-6,500 for full vehicles. Anyways, the cost is just way too much in my opinion. I agree it is really nice and you never have to worry about your paint, but not worth it. I understand exotics (Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc.) as these people truly have disposable income. With that being said, I do plan to get the full front as I was highly disturbed on an older A3 that had all these chips. Sold the car and bought an S3 and wrapped the whole car, which I regret. Save your money and only do the front.
I feel like if I were to end up wrapping, it would def be just PPF the front, and maybe spending some serious DIY time ceramic coating myself. Who knows, though. Hoping I have the funds to get a little decent garage remodel where I can store my MY in the next 6 months or so.

Reactions: 8rain and E.Potter