Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why pay for PPF & ceramic coating when you can just repaint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice for someone who wants to start doing professional level detailing to their own car? :)
Make sure you're in your 20's, buy quality tools then stick with it (this includes the polishes and compounds and don't keep getting the latest and greatest), read/watch all you can absorb with regards to detailing, work in a clean environment with good lighting, work with real expectations, drink lots of water. :D

After all said and done, it is a labor of love when it comes to your own car, so spend as much time on it as you see fit. After some time and enough cars, you can venture out to cars of friends/family, and they might even pay you for it, LoL.

A good random orbital dual action polisher is your friend. Don't move on to a variable grinder/polisher until you're comfortable using the DA polisher. For newish cars, a random orbital is all you will need + various grit polishes. I'm a Meguiar's guy but go with what you prefer/can afford.

Reactions: thesmokingman
For the giggles... practice makes perfect?

• Funny
Reactions: PeteOC
Make sure you're in your 20's, buy quality tools then stick with it (this includes the polishes and compounds and don't keep getting the latest and greatest), read/watch all you can absorb with regards to detailing, work in a clean environment with good lighting, work with real expectations, drink lots of water. :D

After all said and done, it is a labor of love when it comes to your own car, so spend as much time on it as you see fit. After some time and enough cars, you can venture out to cars of friends/family, and they might even pay you for it, LoL.

A good random orbital dual action polisher is your friend. Don't move on to a variable grinder/polisher until you're comfortable using the DA polisher. For newish cars, a random orbital is all you will need + various grit polishes. I'm a Meguiar's guy but go with what you prefer/can afford.
Shoot, I just turned 30. Looks like I’m out of luck 😭

Washing a ceramic coated car is a BREEZE. It saves so much time. All I have to do is spray her down, then use an electric leafblower and water just flies off with no risk of swirls. Most PPF also has hydrophobic properties, acting similarly.

Time is the most precious commodity. It's definitely worth it to me.

Sure I agree it can be costly however I'm not suggesting you have to spend a ludicrous amount. You can if you want, but that like anything is paying more for perceived quality. There's a difference there.
Well, "perceived" quality implies that there is no actual difference in quality.

Car film applications tend to show quality rather easily whether it be the edges of the films being tucked in where applicable, or precise fits and finishes elsewhere. Poor installations are noticeable immediately, or as the years go by and the edges start peeling or accumulate dirt underneath the film.

Reactions: PeteOC and 8rain
Well, "perceived" quality implies that there is no actual difference in quality.

Car film applications tend to show quality rather easily whether it be the edges of the films being tucked in where applicable, or precise fits and finishes elsewhere. Poor installations are noticeable immediately, or as the years go by and the edges start peeling or accumulate dirt underneath the film.
First, that is incorrect. Perceived quality is the quality of a product/service according to the customer's perception. It's a subjective criteria and isn't based on the actual or objective quality. This is how high-end products work, it's all based on perception not actuality. High end audio anyone? I got some magic rocks that will knock your ear lobes off, etc etc. Paying more doesn't equate to getting more, not always.

On topic what you described as far as tucked edges, etc that is all standard. I got all that for less than half what some paid here. What is the difference then? The material is Xpel, warrantied for life, the installer is Xpel certified installer. What else makes a 8K job so special? Anyways, if anyone wants to pay more more power to them. It's just that they are making it sound like you HAVE to pay that much to get a good install, which I find to be BS.

First, that is incorrect. Perceived quality is the quality of a product/service according to the customer's perception. It's a subjective criteria and isn't based on the actual or objective quality. This is how high-end products work, it's all based on perception not actuality. High end audio anyone? I got some magic rocks that will knock your ear lobes off, etc etc. Paying more doesn't equate to getting more, not always.

On topic what you described as far as tucked edges, etc that is all standard. I got all that for less than half what some paid here. What is the difference then? The material is Xpel, warrantied for life, the installer is Xpel certified installer. What else makes a 8K job so special? Anyways, if anyone wants to pay more more power to them. It's just that they are making it sound like you HAVE to pay that much to get a good install, which I find to be BS.
By this logic, why spend extra money on the perceived quality of a Tesla when a Corolla has wheels and steers just fine? With services, you are more or less willing to pay a premium for a level-of-confidence in work to be done. Can you get an arguably-comparable job done cheaper? Very likely. Can spending less also go terribly wrong? You betcha.

I am learning DIY detailing, and that is going to be plenty for my wife’s minivan. PPF is beyond my ability (and patience!) and with the M3P I am willing to spend a bit more to get that done alongside ceramic and tint with high confidence. Maybe that is burning cash, but peace-of-mind is real, and the hours and frustration I’d risk otherwise isn’t worth it.

I definitely don’t see it as a “money flex” — as zero people will be able to tell. But I will know I went with the best available in my area, and that perceived value and follow-up services will enhance my ownership experience. Now the people that ship their cars cross-country to the shop I think are going too far, but I respect their decision — just like I respect the folks willing to put in the time and effort to save some $$.

The front end looks like it has been thru a warzone,
Maybe it depends on what you're doing with your car, but I've never had so much paint damage on my car that it's drawn my eye, or made me feel like I needed to make my car look better. I've never had a buyer complain that my price was too high because the paint job was so bad.
Then again, I'm definitely not a gearhead.

I had PPF on the front bumper of my (BMW) M3, and to be honest I wasn’t a big fan. After a few years it was quite apparent that the film was there and it just didn’t look great compared to the rest of the paint. Then a couple years ago a junkie literally stole the front bumper off my car, so I had to get a new one anyway (which looked so much better)

I haven’t looked into whether costs are similar for PPF/repaint so I can’t comment on whether any $ would be saved going either direction. But what I would say is with PPF you protect the paint now, remove it when it gets old, and you can then go naked for a few years after. By then who cares because the car is old.

Going naked now and repainting in who knows how many years means you will be paying with inflated $ in the future so overall cost is likely to be much higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I am curious how you all think investing in PPF and ceramics compares with the other common aesthetic “upgrades” people often do, like lip spoilers, side skirts, aftermarket rims, lowering, etc?

I never found those appealing, as I am typically more function over form, but PPF and ceramic are really approaching that line.

Please share the name of your shop. I’m in OC and have not found a shop to do full car PPF with Xpel and extra work (removing moldings in areas to tuck and hide edges for example) for less than $6K. Only ones I’ve found that come close to that price involve pre-cut pieces that are too small to fold edges, minimal work with body moldings, and/or not for the full car. I may change my mind about PPF if the initial investment wasn’t so high. Much appreciated.

Maybe it depends on what you're doing with your car, but I've never had so much paint damage on my car that it's drawn my eye, or made me feel like I needed to make my car look better. I've never had a buyer complain that my price was too high because the paint job was so bad.
Then again, I'm definitely not a gearhead.
My blue MY is my 6th car and has accumulated paint damage more quickly than any other car that I’ve owned (6 months old). The steep slope of the hood / lack of front grille means it takes a lot more abuse than ICE cars, plus the low paint quality (thin, soft, missing overspray) of the Tesla. I’m beginning to call my car “freckles” because of all the tiny white dots on the hood.

Please share the name of your shop. I’m in OC and have not found a shop to do full car PPF with Xpel and extra work (removing moldings in areas to tuck and hide edges for example) for less than $6K. Only ones I’ve found that come close to that price involve pre-cut pieces that are too small to fold edges, minimal work with body moldings, and/or not for the full car. I may change my mind about PPF if the initial investment wasn’t so high. Much appreciated.
Xtreme Edge Professional Auto Detail in Orange Grove did mine for $4,500 back in late 2020. Full,XPEL, wrapped edges, 10-yr warranty. They even text you pictures (if you ask) as they do the job.

I don’t know the price in today’s market…as I am sure the rates have increased. There is a thread on this forum that gives Tesla Motors members a discount.

Plenty of people on the road with PPF that is over 5 years old without any yellowing or peeling.
Yes, and I am one of them. Starting on my 6th year with that car and it still looks like it just rolled off the assembly line without a single nick or dent. The best thing I like is how much easier it became to wash the car. My warranty is good for 10 years. But sure, I understand the people that don't want to do it.