Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why regenerative braking belongs on the brake pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I like the regen on the throttle. I get the theoretical concern about oversteer but I haven't experienced any problems with that since owning the car. I like the fact that it will reduce the speed significantly while moving your foot from throttle to brake if you are in an emergency braking situation and I think that outweighs the theoretical oversteer risk (which I believe is mitigated by traction control for the most part).

I also think the reduced regen (whether in the cold or if the battery is full) is a complete non-issue. You lift off the throttle and apply the brake like in an automatic ICE. There's no reason for a complex solution to that.

Reactions: jgs and StealthP3D
I'm sure it has improved, but on my SO's 2007 Camry Hybrid, the transition from regen to friction brakes is very obvious when decelerating. You can easily tell when the regen has plateaued and the rate of deceleration is not linear as you depress the brake pedal.

That would offend me every time I used the friction brakes. I'm so glad Tesla keeps the friction brake pedal a pure hydraulic affair!