Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wasn't Tesla part of the 100 Tech Companies Signing against the Travel Ban?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Lets stop with the meme that the nation of Syria raised Steve and played an instrumental part in the creation of Apple Computers.

Steve Job's biological was a University of Wisconsin graduate student from Syria.

Steve Job himself was born in the US and was a US citizen by birth as his father studied in the US during that time.

His biological parents gave him up for adoption.

If current Trump's order was in effect at that time, Job's father couldn't be admitted to the US to study due to his nationality.

If Job's father was not allowed in the US at that time, Job wouldn't be a US citizen by then.

Today, the state of California is filing a legal brief stating that California universities in general need foreign students which it has about 1,286 student visas from those 7 banned countries and mostly from from Iran.

University of California campuses alone has about 500 graduate students and 40 undergraduate students from those 7 banned countries currently.

Biological "father" who wanted nothing to do with him.

Thanks for the fresh news that Tesla & SpaceX just joined the Legal Brief against Trump's Traveling Ban.

Anyhow, to complete my thought on Steve Jobs.

If Trump's ban was in effect, and let's construct a fiction that his father would study in Saudi Arabia and Steve Job was born there. Suppose the father in Saudi Arabia at that time wanted to give him up for US adoption.

US couple would not be able to adopt and bring Steve Job to the US who was born in Saudi Arabia because his father is "from" 7 banned countries.

That's what happened to Cleveland Medical Clinic doctor who took a vacation to where she was born and raised in Saudi Arabia which is not among 7 banned countries but she was denied of re-entry to the US and sent back to Saudi Arabia and risks losing her medical career in the US. (Her parents are Syrians living in Saudi Arabia but Saudi Arabia records your citizenship according to your parents', not where you were born).

Hours After Landing in U.S., Cleveland Clinic Doctor Forced to Leave by Trump’s Order

Do not hold Microsoft/Apple/Google/Amazon etc. over the same barrel as Infosys & Tata. It's not nearly the same thing.

I was at Microsoft. I was recruiting people. On H1B if needed.

We had MANY positions that were open for years and years on end. But if you need someone senior with experience shipping e.g. a C++ compiler, you're recruiting from a pool of maybe 100 people worldwide. If you can be ok with any compiler experience and willing to train for a few years, the pool to recruit from grows to maybe a 1000. Worldwide.

It's a close-knit community where everybody knows everybody else. With that kind of job, we contact you - we don't wait for you to apply. IF we are so lucky to find someone, we don't care where they are from. This is so NOT about saving money - the H1B process cost & relocation package runs around $80'000. And annual packages for seniors starts at 300k. (Oh, and by the way, Microsoft pays in published salary bands - you can't pay an H1B less - they would know immediately if they're outside the band).

Do you think we wouldn't try EVERYTHING possible to recruit locally? To pay your magical "63k" per year medium wage? The local talent simply doesn't exist. Not for any amount of money. Of course we hire juniors and train them, but it takes 10 years to get someone up into a senior position.

The local talent situation is dire. Many Microsoft Engineers also offer their time for free to lecture at STEM schools 2 or 3 times a week - so much so that there is a waiting list for volunteers. Microsoft gives you the time off to do that.

I'm not at Microsoft anymore, but I'm in a similar situation again where we are interview people on a daily basis. Again with positions open for years on end. And again we can't find anybody locally who even knows enough to fake their way through the first 5 minutes of an interview. Oh, we have one H1B - guess what - he's our highest paid employee apart from the partners/founders.

It's so frustrating trying to recruit people that I can cry. So when someone says that recruiting H1B's in a place like Silicon Valley or Seattle is a cost savings exercise, I feel like strangling them.

^^^THIS!!! It's absolutely impossible to find quality people these days in tech if you're looking for specialized skills and/or experience. The part of the tech world I work in isn't in a position to even be affected by anything H1B related, but outside of that, we've been trying for years to find quality people. So much so we've went to the "contract for hire" route and despite all the contractors we have, we have hired ZERO has FT employees... ZERO...

The US has serious educational and skills gaps that are going to take awhile to address, if ever...

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: deonb
Best for companies to stay out of politics unless it DIRECTLY affects their business.

It's going to affect Tesla's business because most Tesla purchasers happen to be highly educated, tech savvy individuals who don't believe in the agenda of the new executive branch. Much love to the Washington judge who stuck it to the clown and his posse

Reactions: JHWJR
If current Trump's order was in effect at that time, Job's father couldn't be admitted to the US to study due to his nationality.

I thought the ban was only 3 months, providing time to figure out how improve vetting procedures. How would this permanently preclude him from being admitted, and totally change the course of history? Do people just like to exaggerate? Seems like "alternate facts" coming from both sides of the fence.

I thought the ban was only 3 months, providing time to figure out how improve vetting procedures.

I guess you also believe the ban didn't target Muslims?

And Saudi Arabia not being on the list (where most of the 9/11 terrorists were from) has nothing do with Trump's business dealings with that country, right?

The '90 days' was the proverbial foot in the door (well, maybe foot blocking the door is a better analogy).

Last edited:
I thought the ban was only 3 months, providing time to figure out how improve vetting procedures. How would this permanently preclude him from being admitted, and totally change the course of history? Do people just like to exaggerate? Seems like "alternate facts" coming from both sides of the fence.
So you believe the non sense from Trump? He should have "figured it out" already, as he has been campaigning for over a year. Why take a step like this without "figuring it out" first? It is not like some national crisis is upon us. Immigrants have been coming in for decades, rightly or wrongly. So, figure it out first; then take a measured action. The executive order was worse than childish. There is no excuse.

I guess you also believe the ban didn't target Muslims?

And Saudi Arabia not being on the list (where most of the 9/11 terrorists were from) has nothing do with Trumps business dealings with that country, right?

The '90 days' was the proverbial foot in the door (well, maybe foot blocking the door is a better analogy

Thanks for making presumptions about my position. FYI, I did not vote for Trump. At least you indirectly answered the question.. and what I assume as well... people are afraid temporary isn't temporary. However, not a single discussion I've heard complaining about the ban included "the main concern is if this stays permanent". Or, "we don't really like it, but OK, we can live with 3 months, if you give us a guarantee it doesn't stay permanently". Instead, they automatically presume the other side will never compromise, and we'll be doomed to bounce between extremes, continuing to make no progress in any direction. But now thanks to this mindset, the republicrats have the majority, will have their way, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Everyone talks about middle ground but does nothing to get there.

So you believe the non sense from Trump? He should have "figured it out" already, as he has been campaigning for over a year. Why take a step like this without "figuring it out" first? It is not like some national crisis is upon us. Immigrants have been coming in for decades, rightly or wrongly. So, figure it out first; then take a measured action. The executive order was worse than childish. There is no excuse.

No, I didn't say I believed in the ban. I asked how a story about Jobs never coming to America and Apple never existing was at all grounded in fact, when the ban is, at this point in time, temporary. Yet, that is all I read everywhere. Hype and exaggeration is ok I guess, as long as you support the cause.

...we'll be doomed to bounce between extremes, continuing to make no progress in any direction. But now thanks to this mindset, the republicrats have the majority, will have their way, and there's nothing anyone can do about it...

People with proper documents (that were issued by US embassies) were initially turned away, including the Cleveland Medical Clinic doctor that was mentioned above as well as US Permanent Residents (Green Cards).

Progress has been made, but not because of niceties.

It was the public outrage around the world that brought the attention to focus on the impact of this Executive Order.

It took the courage of Federal Judges around the country to challenge Trump's team.

It took the courage of Acting Attorney General Yates who defied the President's order and she was fired immediately.

Because of those actions, US Permanent Residents (Green Cards) were then first to resume the entry, then now anyone with valid paper works can now enter.

Definitely, progress has been made.

But it is not yet permanent.

The court will hear oral arguments from both sides at 3PM tomorrow (with live streaming).

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I still don't see the justification for the hyperbolic outrage over a temporary ban of certain countries. Countries from a list compiled by the Obama administration in fact. Are there inconsistencies? Are the specific aspects of the ban that should be changed or amended? Sure. And the administration has been fairly proactive in making such adjustments. But the level of demonization and outrage isn't simply over issues that can/should be fixed. The preferred narrative by many is that Trump's a racist, bigot, xenophobe that needs to be impeached or worse.

It's clear that the US vetting procedures are woefully inadequate and need to be fixed.

ODNI Confirms Terrorists Tried to Enter U.S. as Syrian Refugees - Judicial Watch

Federal agents are reinvestigating Syrian refugees in U.S. who may have slipped through vetting lapse

It's also clear to me that the outrage of this ban is not so much over the specific aspects of the ban but rather it's because of who's President. There was little if any outrage over prior selective immigration bans. And yes, I understand there's implementation differences and other structural difference with the prior bans but not in a significant way.

I have yet to read or hear any good substantive source of info that outlines the major issues causing outrage. Most criticisms of this temp ban typically devolve into name calling, exaggerations and projections as to what might happen in the future.

Last edited:
And yes, I understand there's implementation differences and other structural difference with the prior bans but not in a significant way.

The differences are very significant:

There are major differences between Trump's immigration ban and Obama's 2011 policy

Most criticisms of this temp ban typically devolve into name calling, exaggerations and projections as to what might happen in the future.

I've read a lot of news articles and commentary on the ban and none involve name calling. The derogatory name calling you rely on in your post above are your words -- they not the words of anyone else I have read in this thread, or in the news. Plus, many posts here, and in many news stories, deal with real life examples of how the ban affected people. The only projection as to what might happen in the future was what I have heard from those who support the ban, including...

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

Just cannot believe a judge would put our country in such peril. If something happens blame him and court system. People pouring in. Bad!

12:39 PM - 5 Feb 2017

It's clear that the US vetting procedures are woefully inadequate and need to be fixed.

There are no facts to support the argument that the current vetting is "woefully inadequate". In fact, the opposite is true. But if you really want to protect your country, why are Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey left out of the order? Most of the 9/11 conspirators came from Saudi Arabia.

Also:

According to New America, a think tank compiling information on terrorist activitiesin the United States since 9/11, 94 peoplehave been killed by jihadists in the past 15 years.

But in its overview of who are the individuals committing the attacks, New America says the majority of attackers come from within.

"Far from being foreign infiltrators, the large majority of jihadist terrorists in the United States have been American citizens or legal residents. Moreover, while a range of citizenship statuses are represented, every jihadist who conducted a lethal attack inside the United States since 9/11 was a citizen or legal resident," the New America study says. "In addition about a quarter of the extremists are converts, further confirming that the challenge cannot be reduced to one of immigration."

"It's certainly the case that none of the major, deadly attacks carried out in the United States were carried out by people from these countries," said Erin Miller, who manages the Global Terrorism Database for the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism at the University of Maryland.

Other experts agreed.

"Since 9/11, no one has been killed in this country in a terrorist attack by anyone who emigrated from any of the seven countries," added William C. Banks, director of the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism at Syracuse University College of Law.

Quoted from here.

Last edited: