Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why we are returning a car that we love from a brand we deeply respect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a possibility the frame is warped and pressuring the windshield. That could also explain why the roof glass in bent out on the sides.
What should I be looking for to identify a bent frame?
Sorry about not completely reading your post. Tomas corrected me. I’m one of those people who needs coffee in order to make my coffee. I hope you get a speedy resolution to this issue. And hopefully someone from Tesla is looking at this particular thread. Clearly there are things that need to be addressed by customer service as well as production.

There's a possibility the frame is warped and pressuring the windshield. That could also explain why the roof glass in bent out on the sides.
What should I be looking for to identify a bent frame?

I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe you can check if the roof is level with a spirit level or something. If it's warped then the car is probably scrap.

Just fyi the rear glass is distorted on purpose to reduce wind noise affects. Anyone who cleans their glass regularly should have felt this.

The front and top are rounded, but not distorted.

Optical refraction/distortion can wreak havoc on a someone's balance and general comfort. I can't wear crappy sunglasses or it happens to me.

I can understand the frustration by OP. We had a couple major issues with our M3 that if had by another manufacturer would have ticked me off. However, the difference was how Tesla handled it. Fortunately, we live in SF Bay Area and support was extremely pleasing. This seems to be the key to getting through Tesla’s growing pains.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
So sorry to hear of your experience. I would return the car, as it seems likely to me it's the frame being misaligned that's deforming the glass. They will never fix that.

Meanwhile, take heart in that history says that Tesla will, in its own bumbling, incompetent, utterly failing customer service 101 way, leave you happy. Their organization and communication is terrible, but they have always taken good care of their customers eventually. In your situation, I would demand a loaner while they dealt with the problem. Then I would be happy to put weeks or months of driving their car instead of mine while they make things right. The key is to make it such that you don't care how slow they are.

Best of luck!

I wish I knew about this a few days ago.

There was a post about a Model 3 owner frustrated about the fact that their car was making them sick. The assumption was the new car fumes. But, it had been 6+ months since the bought the car.

I wonder if that individual didn't also have distorted glass.

Distorted glass has been such a significant issue with Tesla that they really need to incorporate optical checking for this. It didn't happen too much on the Model S, but the X has had more than its fair share of issues. Now it's cropping up from time to time with the Model 3.

I wish I knew about this a few days ago.

There was a post about a Model 3 owner frustrated about the fact that their car was making them sick. The assumption was the new car fumes. But, it had been 6+ months since the bought the car.

I wonder if that individual didn't also have distorted glass.

Distorted glass has been such a significant issue with Tesla that they really need to incorporate optical checking for this. It didn't happen too much on the Model S, but the X has had more than its fair share of issues. Now it's cropping up from time to time with the Model 3.

I think I know the poster and post you are referring to and believe their situation was one that involved breathing issues, no mention of visual problems, and when they let their car air out their symptoms would go a way for a short while. Believe they mentioned they had allergies to begin with. As for the glass issues on the Model 3, only thing I recall reading was more in line with road chips, cracked glass sometimes involved with window tinting and the rear defroster (which might have been tint installer related). Oh and also adhesive from stickers or overspray of something maybe clear coat (I was in the later category). The OPs car seems to be in a totally different category and not really hearing about it on other vehicles. Likely a windshield that left the manufacturers factory missing QC. Doesn't sound like until you spent time driving in it that you would feel something was off, so no real obvious issue that would stick out like a crack.

Update: The car was returned yesterday, late Monday afternoon. Again, in the Delivery Center, no management present to talk with us, to apologize to find solutions. No one, no where.

Later on the day, before scaling things up in the European Tesla organization, we posted our experience in the Reddit community, to try to get feedback from more owners and possible from Portuguese owners. After no more than 1 hour from our post, someone from Tesla management calls... finally apologizing.

We are trying to find a solution together. I will keep you posted on how it goes..

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Update: The car was returned yesterday, late Monday afternoon. Again, in the Delivery Center, no management present to talk with us, to apologize to find solutions. No one, no where.

Later on the day, before scaling things up in the European Tesla organization, we posted our experience in the Reddit community, to try to get feedback from more owners and possible from Portuguese owners. After no more than 1 hour from our post, someone from Tesla management calls... finally apologizing.

We are trying to find a solution together. I will keep you posted on how it goes..
Is there not another Model 3 at the delivery centre you can compare to yours and see if it's an issue with just your windscreen?

The windows deformation seams specific to this, but there are other reports of similar issues. In our case, the windshield was deformed, the roof glass was bent on the sides and the rear glass was heavily deformed in several places.
Based on that, it seems rejection was the best course of action. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Reactions: neroden
I too configured my first P3D at the same timeframe as you and took delivery in Finland during the last days of February. The car had several issues that we noted with the delivery folks and discussed about being in contact later to bring the car in for a service. Gaps, paint problems, underside trim not attached properly, spoiler not attached properly, windshied deformations, the list is a long one.

I did the same thing as you did, I returned the car and got a full refund. One of the reasons to do so were the defects of my unit, but also Tesla famously went into full insanity mode with their pricing and options at the same time. At the time of writing, I have my second P3D ordered with delivery estimation in May. But the real kicker, the second car due to pricing changes and me dropping FSD and going with black paint will cost me over 14.000€ less.

After watching the autonomy day coverage I'm mildly tempted to configure the car with FSD, but as it most likely will come with HW3 computer as standard, I'll hope that by the time the FSD is feature complete Tesla will offer existing customers trial periods like they do with Autopilot. Once I've verified that the FSD functionality is on-par with what I expect it to be I can then safely pull the trigger, even if it would later on cost me a bit more.

Based on that, it seems rejection was the best course of action. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Well, the car was returned Monday. The delivery center manager is still MIA, the PT sales manager called and is trying to find a solution. One of them is to make a new order... but how do I explain to our management that we would still be without a car for the next 2 months after all we went trough? The main problem is how do I fix the trust from our company management on Tesla with this awful, awful delivery experience.

Well, the car was returned Monday. The delivery center manager is still MIA, the PT sales manager called and is trying to find a solution. One of them is to make a new order... but how do I explain to our management that we would still be without a car for the next 2 months after all we went trough? The main problem is how do I fix the trust from our company management on Tesla with this awful, awful delivery experience.
So sorry for your experience Key. You are clearly stuck in the middle.