Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why We Need to Fight for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good article. The comments show a large amount of EV hate. I just don't understand. Questions and concerns I understand, but some people seem so very angry. They also don't or won't see that this is not just a great EV but a great car of any type.

Excellent article!! I have had several conversations about Tesla with a guy who is employed by a dealers association in California. He is a very intelligent guy who thinks he will have to change careers in 10 or less years when the dealer model is gone. I had a meeting at a Mercedes dealer last week. When I parked a customer walked up to me and was really excited asking "what type of car is that?" I said Tesla and he asked if he could buy one at the dealership. There is a Jaguar showroom next door so I understand his confusion. I explained that I was late for my meeting and no he can only buy a Tesla from Tesla.

Very nice interview/article. Of course the dealers are fighting this. There is a lot of money at stake for them. They are willing to put a little money into political campaigns to save the much larger sum that they would lose if they sell fewer cars or ultimately have to change their business model.

I am not defending the dealers but it should come as no surprise that they are fighting this ...hard.

State House Speaker Thom Tillis, a fan of high technology, has the power to kill the dealers' bill any time he wants. He took the car on a test drive around Raleigh on Wednesday afternoon.
He and his executive assistant, William Morales, sported grins when they got back.
"I want one!" Morales said as he hopped out of the car.
"I want two!" said Tillis.
Its power amazed him.
"When you accelerated, it's the same sort of feeling I got when I test drove a Mustang Boss, back when I was probably about 23 years old," Tillis said. But instead of the roar of a 1970s muscle car engine, "it just seemed to get quieter and quieter as you're going."
Tillis wouldn't commit when asked if he would stifle the auto dealers' bill. He said he would study it and consult other lawmakers, "but there's got to be a pretty strong case for why we shouldn't allow the current law to continue."
He understands that the dealers have concerns. He also wants to encourage American manufacturing innovation.
"Any American story on going from engineering to product, with the majority of the engineering and manufacturing occurring in the United States - that's a great American success story."

Inside Politics: Electric carmaker tries to make inroads with N.C. House leaders

@Local host
I liked very much this article and in particular I liked this part:

"In a world of environmental calamity and decay, greed, a corrupt political system, lobbyists, and special interest groups, things are definitely broke and need to be fixed.
And that is why we need to fight for Tesla."

Last edited:
State House Speaker Thom Tillis, a fan of high technology, has the power to kill the dealers' bill any time he wants. He took the car on a test drive around Raleigh on Wednesday afternoon.
He and his executive assistant, William Morales, sported grins when they got back.
"I want one!" Morales said as he hopped out of the car.
"I want two!" said Tillis.
Its power amazed him.
"When you accelerated, it's the same sort of feeling I got when I test drove a Mustang Boss, back when I was probably about 23 years old," Tillis said. But instead of the roar of a 1970s muscle car engine, "it just seemed to get quieter and quieter as you're going."
Tillis wouldn't commit when asked if he would stifle the auto dealers' bill. He said he would study it and consult other lawmakers, "but there's got to be a pretty strong case for why we shouldn't allow the current law to continue."
He understands that the dealers have concerns. He also wants to encourage American manufacturing innovation.
"Any American story on going from engineering to product, with the majority of the engineering and manufacturing occurring in the United States - that's a great American success story."

Inside Politics: Electric carmaker tries to make inroads with N.C. House leaders

Brilliant move by Tesla. A Tesla grin on the House Speaker - they killed the bill and probably sold a few more cars, too.

I want to fight for Tesla, but how? I sent an email to my delegate in Virginia about the recent DMV ruling preventing stores in Virginia from mentioning price or giving test drives. He responded by asking me if there was someone he could talk to about this at Tesla.

I brought a copy of the email exchange to the Tyson's Corner Tesla store. They took my printout and assured me that it was being sent up the chain.

I emailed [email protected] the same information.... no response.

I went back to the store a week later. And they assured me that it was handed up the chain.

So I repeat, how can I help Tesla in Virginia if I can't even tell my state delegate (who is interested) who to talk to inside of Tesla?

I want to fight for Tesla, but how? I sent an email to my delegate in Virginia about the recent DMV ruling preventing stores in Virginia from mentioning price or giving test drives. He responded by asking me if there was someone he could talk to about this at Tesla.

I brought a copy of the email exchange to the Tyson's Corner Tesla store. They took my printout and assured me that it was being sent up the chain.

I went back to the store a week later. And they assured me that it was handed up the chain.

So I repeat, how can I help Tesla in Virginia if I can't even tell my state delegate (who is interested) who to talk to inside of Tesla?

Can't your delegate just pick up the phone and call Tesla Motors in Palo Alto himself and start a conversation?
How difficult can that be?

By the way, your delegate should be talking to George Blankenship (I think).
His email address is: [email protected]
Even I got a few times a reply from George Blankenship.
They guy is cool.

Mr. O'Connell is the right person to talk to. Likely, as they did in Minnesota, there's also a lobby group. My state's lobby group set up and registered http://www.teslaminnesota.com/ for announcements and so forth.

Please continue the fight. Take time off work to show up to any legislative discussions, wear some Tesla clothes, and talk to representatives before and after about Tesla. You will find the ones who are in the back-pockets of the dealers' associations. Just read people's body language and who they talk to.

Another thing you can do is register for an EV rally at your state Capitol. Pick a day that isn't miserable and rainy, invite the news media to show up, and stock it deep and wide with Tesla vehicles. Ask your Tyson's Corner Tesla store to show up. Ask folks from out of state with Tesla vehicles to show up. That will rattle some cages: "how did they get here from out of state, I thought they were electric cars?"

Every one of us is pulling for you. It's a real fight, but we need you to win.