Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHy would anyone buy a MS Plaid????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You bring up price/wealth 4 times in your reply to me. Money has NOTHING to do with how a person drives. It’s in all in your head. I am not a shrink, but you have a weird connection in your mind between money and driving habits/skills.

I raced cars, I instructed for many years for BMWCCA, what you call reckless driving probably is me chilling on my way to drop my kid at school. Driving a car fast for me is completely natural. I won my first F2000 race under pouring rain and crossed the finish line backwards as I went through the last corner too hot as #2 was on my tail. I managed to complete a full 360 and reaplied thottle and went straight towards corner one not even putting a wheel off track (it’s a completely true story). We are from opposite world completely.

I however never tailgate or do quick maneuver in traffic as I understand not everyone has my driving skills not mentioning illegal and dangerous. Those who do the kind of stuff you talked about are usually young wazoo trying to impress their friends. At least in my area. I don’t live in a city full of young Uber rich that think they own the world/road.

I hope you enjoy your car in good health. But maybe once in a while, put it in sport mode and floor it. It’s fun.

Reactions: oktane and SilverGS
I'm sure you'd agree that a very competent driver going 100 mph may be safer than an elderly demented driver going 25 mph.
Of course. But when was the last time you saw an elderly driver doing 25mph on the 75mph highway? When was the last time you saw a jerk constantly changing lanes trying to drive much faster than the traffic, causing others to slam on the brakes to prevent an accident?

I see these jerks frequently but can't remember when I saw someone driving 25mph on the interstate. In fact around here it is hard to find anyone driving the speed limit. If it is 70mph, the traffic will be doing 80. The only time it slows down is when that jerk clips another car changing lanes and we have a multi car pile up.

Let's get back to reality- The Plaid can do 200mph, right? How would you Plaid wannabees and owners feel if Tesla, for reasons of safety, limited the Plaid to 90mph top speed on the highway but allowed it to achieve it's full potential on a race track? Would you still own it so you can impress friends what it's capable of on the race track?

Money has NOTHING to do with how a person drives. It’s in all in your head.
It does in the case of the Plaid because without the money to buy a Plaid, the speeder and asshole driver couldn't afford the Plaid which is the topic in question. It's in my head because I have only seen guys ( not women ) driving expensive muscle cars and expensive sports cars becoming a hazard on the highway. There are also those who drive regular cars causing accidents too but they are reported to be caused for other reasons, such as DUI, and texting at faster than the speed limit following too close.

I doubt the guy fantasizing he is a formula one race car driver in his Plaid is DUI or texting at these insane highway speeds. He just is a hazard to the traffic around him.

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS
It's been a fun discussion but only one here admitted he wants the Plaid because he wants to drive faster than everyone else. While I may not respect that attitude as a responsible driver, at least he was honest.

Maybe Tesla should raise the price of the Plaid and / or restrict the insane speeds to just off road racing.

• Disagree
Of course. But when was the last time you saw an elderly driver doing 25mph on the 75mph highway? When was the last time you saw a jerk constantly changing lanes trying to drive much faster than the traffic, causing others to slam on the brakes to prevent an accident?

I see these jerks frequently but can't remember when I saw someone driving 25mph on the interstate. In fact around here it is hard to find anyone driving the speed limit. If it is 70mph, the traffic will be doing 80. The only time it slows down is when that jerk clips another car changing lanes and we have a multi car pile up.

Let's get back to reality- The Plaid can do 200mph, right? How would you Plaid wannabees and owners feel if Tesla, for reasons of safety, limited the Plaid to 90mph top speed on the highway but allowed it to achieve it's full potential on a race track? Would you still own it so you can impress friends what it's capable of on the race track?

It does in the case of the Plaid because without the money to buy a Plaid, the speeder and asshole driver couldn't afford the Plaid which is the topic in question. It's in my head because I have only seen guys ( not women ) driving expensive muscle cars and expensive sports cars becoming a hazard on the highway. There are also those who drive regular cars causing accidents too but they are reported to be caused for other reasons, such as DUI, and texting at faster than the speed limit following too close.

I doubt the guy fantasizing he is a formula one race car driver in his Plaid is DUI or texting at these insane highway speeds. He just is a hazard to the traffic around him.

That's simply an extreme example. How about a skilled driver doing 90mph vs. an unskilled driver doing 65mph? I'd feel safer at 90 with the skilled driver. I doubt many Plaid drivers will ever go beyond 100 mph in their cars. Not everyone lives in populated areas, and there used to be states like Montana that didn't have speed limits at all on the highway. My humble advice is to worry more about your own driving (being defensive and aware) and less about some crazy Tesla driver doing 200mph. It's not a likely scenario.

The same "argument" you're making about the Plaid owner can be made about your choice of a Model S LR.

1. Why didn't you buy a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt instead?
  2. Why do you need a car that has over 500 HP?
  3. Why do you need a car that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds?

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGF

I disagree. You can drive like an asshole in any car. You can cut people off, drive slow in the passing lane, change lanes without signals, tailgate, swerve and a bunch of other stuff in any car. I think the guy in an expensive Plaid is less likely to do any of this stuff as he doesn't want to ding his expensive new car.

You seem fixated on people with nicer/more expensive cars doing dangerous moves. I see poor people in *sugar* cars, with busted shocks and bald tires, they probably are good driver because they can't afford a Plaid right? See? It makes no sense at all. Jerks are jerks whatever they'Re driving or the balance of their bank account.

The same "argument" you're making about the Plaid owner can be made about your choice of a Model S LR.

No it seems the line is drawn at what he drives. He doesn't realize that for the guy in a 2001 Civic EX, he is the rich asshole cutting everyone off driving like a madman because he is rich.

And with that, I'm out of this thread. ✌️

Reactions: kg7jo- and SilverGS
No it seems the line is drawn at what he drives. He doesn't realize that for the guy in a 2001 Civic EX, he is the rich asshole cutting everyone off driving like a madman because he is rich.

And with that, I'm out of this thread. ✌️
I think he is just trolling as no one with a slight modicum of common sense will make the arguments he's making.

• Disagree
Reactions: kg7jo-
@kg7jo- You disagreed with me because you feel that TravelFree's arguments make perfect sense?

Capturekg7.JPG

Easy answer. None of those mattered to me but #1. I did buy a Nissan Leaf as my first EV to see if I can be happy with an EV for local driving. It was traded in on the Y when my wife wanted something a little bigger and a bit more range.

#2 I don't. Chill mode doesn't achieve the full HP capability.

#3 I don't.

My choice had to do with interior design. AP and FSD, the most range of any EV and FREE Supercharging.

I also gave the Mustang EV and the ID4 a look-see test drive along with the M Y. M Y scored why higher for my local car than the competition.

Anyway It appears obvious to me a thread about Why people would buy a Plaid is way off topic by avoiding the answer and making it more about why I don't buy a Plaid. I can only assume those who have that need for Plaid know their reasons are either weak or illegal and dangerous and can't make the case.

Tesla proved it can make such a car, same as the Roadster, but neither are my choice and I think they are a waste of money. My choices aren't.

And with that, I'm out of this thread.
ditto!

• Funny
Reactions: kg7jo-