Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would you buy Model S over Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imho, the Model 3 bests the Model S in several utility aspects:

- door pockets with room for (water) bottles in all four doors
- coat hooks
- fold-down rear center armrest with cupholders
- storage pockets on the back of the front seats
- better usable front cupholders
- more front center storage volume

By the looks of it, it also feels quite a bit more roomy in the back. I was shocked during my Model S test drives how cramped it felt in the back seats. The pics of the Model 3 interior make it look more spacious, even though it is much shorter than an S.

To me, the smaller size of the Model 3 is another main advantage over the S, which is a behemoth of a car, making it very impractical in many areas over here. Of course if someone wants or needs a bigger vehicle, the Model 3 might not be the first choice.

And sure, a hatchback would make the rear trunk more usable and easier to get to, but certain trade-offs seem inevitable.
Overall, I would never buy a Model S over a Model 3 and am very much looking forward to getting mine, even though it will be late 2018 before I get one, even though I reserved on April 1, 2016.

Model 3 also has:

- Autopilot HW 2.5
- Interior camera
- Lighted vanity mirrors
- 2170 cell next-gen batteries
- Faster big screen CPU according to reports

Basically the claim that Model S would always have the best is patently false.

This is the same question as why would you buy a BMW 525 rather than a BMW 325. They do pretty much the same, carry the same number of people etc, etc.A better question might be why would you but a BMW 525 rather than a Model S, or a BMW 325 rather than a Model 3?
Hence, BMW 5 series is only £10k more expensive than BMW 3 series. Not double the price.

Model 3 also has:

- Autopilot HW 2.5
- Interior camera
- Lighted vanity mirrors
- 2170 cell next-gen batteries
- Faster big screen CPU according to reports

Basically the claim that Model S would always have the best is patently false.

This point will qualify as nitpicking for sure but...

- Do we really know that there is any HW 2.5?
- The interior camera... and what benefit is that, other than perhaps to monitor the driver's alertness level?
- 2170 batteries... we don't know that these have any benefit other than lower cost. It's been speculated that they actually might perform worse because they're tougher to cool, and that they're not going into the S/X because they can't handle the really high current outputs.
- the vanity mirror for sure. It's silly that the S doesn't have one.
- And I'm sure we will see the new CPU in the S/X very shortly.

None of this is to say that the S isn't due for an interior upgrade. But I also don't think it's fair to say that the 3 is "better' in any real way.

Reactions: ChadS
Do we really know that there is any HW 2.5?

Those who have reverse engineered the AP code claim so.

The interior camera... and what benefit is that, other than perhaps to monitor the driver's alertness level?

That I leave for individual buyers to judge. It is one more camera Model 3 is getting and Model S/X not yet.

2170 batteries... we don't know that these have any benefit other than lower cost.

I leave that to buyers as well. But concensus seems to be Model S/X will get 2170's later as well, so the latest is in Model 3...

And I'm sure we will see the new CPU in the S/X very shortly.

Agreed, but not yet. Something everyone considering a Model S/X purchase should know.

Wait.

Those who have reverse engineered the AP code claim so.

Interesting. I missed this discussion. Do you have a reference?

I leave that to buyers as well. But concensus seems to be Model S/X will get 2170's later as well, so the latest is in Model 3...

I suspect so, eventually. But EM definitely changed tune on this a couple of months ago. He went from "not before the end of the year" to "no plans". I doubt that it's a battery production capacity issue, because battery manufacturing is much simpler, and the ramp-up should be a lot easier. So either he is worried that about Osborning the S (possible), or they've come to the conclusion that the 2170 format is not ideal for a high performance vehicle. My gut tells me it's the latter, but of course none of us know. Or at least nobody that's saying. :)

I 100% agree. My lease is up at year end, and so I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an upgrade, and I'm hoping that we'll see changes soon.

Model S & X are large cars with masses of room. They can take five passengers AND all their luggage, fit huge amounts of gear thanks to that large hatchback.
For many folks Model3 without a hatch is a show stopper.
But as has already been mentioned,
GPS enabled air suspension (now standard on S)
More range (on S100D)
Free supercharging
Pano roof
Currently waay more choice of interiors, AWD and performance.

If you don't already have a reservation, you have no choice.
Even if you have a reservation and want AWD or performance in the next year, you have no choice.
If you live somewhere other than the US and want your car before 2019, you guessed it, you have no choice ;)

If you don't already have a reservation, you have no choice.
Even if you have a reservation and want AWD or performance in the next year, you have no choice.
If you live somewhere other than the US and want your car before 2019, you guessed it, you have no choice

Sure you do have a choice.

You can wait until Model S/X gets the next-gen features Model 3 has (AP 2.5 with interior camera, 2170 cell battery, new interior with lighted vanity mirrors and new storage options).

Alternatively you can also wait for Model 3, but I agree that can take longer.

• Funny
Reactions: Twiglett
Sure you do have a choice.

You can wait until Model S/X gets the next-gen features Model 3 has (AP 2.5 with interior camera, 2170 cell battery, new interior with lighted vanity mirrors and new storage options).

Alternatively you can also wait for Model 3, but I agree that can take longer.
I'm confused - if you want an AWD or performance car now, you're suggesting that you can wait for a different car instead?
Surely if you want a car now (by definition, not waiting) how is waiting for a different car a choice :D
I don't think "want a car now" means what you think it means :p

I'm confused - if you want an AWD or performance car now, you're suggesting that you can wait for a different car instead?
Surely if you want a car now (by definition, not waiting) how is waiting for a different car a choice :D
I don't think "want a car now" means what you think it means :p

Sure, if for some reason you want or need a car as fast as possible...

However, waiting for an upgrade to Model S/X is not an unreasonable idea.

As others have stated, bigger space better performance, better looks.
Then there is the crowd who usually buy a 7 series or a Maserati Quattroporte (or recently, Model S), when a BMW 3 series would have done the same job -they are just used to spending a lot and keep doing it. My brother in law for example digs Tesla but said he would be embarrassed in a small entry level car like a Model 3 and will go for an S even though he neither needs its utility nor likes driving fast.

I would possibly have bought a Model 3 back in 2012 would it have been available. But I went with the S because it was the only long range electric available at the time. Interestingly I spent 10 times more than usual and it was totally worth it. Normally I go with the $10k used car variety :)

As a side note, Tesla has changed me into buying new because you actually get something new with them. With Flintstone cars I swear I could not feel the difference between say a 2017 model or a 2000 model if I drove blindfolded. I know others who are the same way and the relevance of bringing this up is that Model 3 will not only steamroll the competition, it will also dig into whole new markets who would otherwise never buy a new car -just like the S did back in the day, but on a massive scale...

Last edited:
Reactions: geometro
S got the nod for us because of two boys, two dogs, and lacrosse/soccer stuff. Road trips are my middle name. Driving to Florida from Michigan on Christmas day in a Subaru Outback confirmed this. Room for stuff is great. Both cars have ample room, but we need some space between us during long days of driving.

I can't say that I would buy a car because it has any of the following:

2170 cell next-gen batteries (kind of like 87 vs 93 octane) Car still goes I hope with those old geezer cells
Faster big screen CPU. We all must have smooth font rendering for when it rolls over 100k
XBOX/PS4 compatibility on main screen :p
Interior Camera (really more selfies)
A twitter button to send off tweets without really thinking.

Still getting a 3. Looks like a fun car for me to drive. Just me.