Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-FI Connection issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my car in the garage. I have a strong wifi signal on my phone and also in the car as indicated on the car display. After entering the password and it begins to authenticate, the signal drops to 1 bar, then it doesn't connect or maybe times out, not sure which. Ive connected successfully before and have done updates, but cant understand why I have to keep manually adding the wifi info?
Is there a way to connect to my phones hot-spot? Although that is on, I do not see it in the list of wifi options? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tesla wifi is the worst, oddest gizmo ever.

I've had times with both my S's that it refused to connect. Then another day immediate connection. This repeats itself regularly.

What I can suggest, get a wifi scanner and find the least crowded channel and set your wifi to that channel.

I park my car in the garage. I have a strong wifi signal on my phone and also in the car as indicated on the car display. After entering the password and it begins to authenticate, the signal drops to 1 bar, then it doesn't connect or maybe times out, not sure which. Ive connected successfully before and have done updates, but cant understand why I have to keep manually adding the wifi info?
Is there a way to connect to my phones hot-spot? Although that is on, I do not see it in the list of wifi options? Thanks for any suggestions.

There could be an interference of signal in the garage. Have you tried reversing into the spot? If it is reversed in, try going in forward to the garage. Strange, but it has increased my wifi strength by doing so.

Also, I would skip any WIFI extenders as they do not work well. If you are looking for a solution to extend your wifi range, I would suggest a TRI-Band MESH router.

Usually weak signal is to blame when trying to connect, you can convert an older router and make it an extender. I did that last night, the 2nd router is closer to the garage door and now my signal hits the garage and driveway with 4 solid bars. Most of us have older routers laying around. Will post a video on how it’s done below.

What frequency is the Y trying to connect to? A couple of years ago, my kids complained about my 10 y.o. router, so I bought a new router 802.11 ac router. It supported both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. After I got my Y, I learned that the 2.4 GHz signal provided a better signal to the garage than the 5 GHz. If your router is more than a few years old, maybe it is time to upgrade, and then you can use the old router as an extender as others have suggested. It's not like there will be fewer things connecting to your router in the future.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I don't think a range extender would be a good solution as I originally thought that it may, but I moved the car out of the garage and parked adjacent to the wall of my router, literally 5 feet from the router through a standard house wall. The car has always shown a strong signal regardless of in the garage or next to the house wall, while searching for a connection, but after I enter the password, the signal bars go down to 1 or even go away. I think my router is decent as they are less than a year old. It seemed like its an issue with the software from Tesla as all my other devices connect fine that are further away.
Please don't mistake my comments as irritation on everyones posts. I am truly thankful for your input. Im just very frustrated that this is happening as wifi technology/connections seem like a very simple tasks these days, normally!!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I don't think a range extender would be a good solution as I originally thought that it may, but I moved the car out of the garage and parked adjacent to the wall of my router, literally 5 feet from the router through a standard house wall. The car has always shown a strong signal regardless of in the garage or next to the house wall, while searching for a connection, but after I enter the password, the signal bars go down to 1 or even go away. I think my router is decent as they are less than a year old. It seemed like its an issue with the software from Tesla as all my other devices connect fine that are further away.
Please don't mistake my comments as irritation on everyones posts. I am truly thankful for your input. Im just very frustrated that this is happening as wifi technology/connections seem like a very simple tasks these days, normally!!

This exact thing was happening to me right when I got notified of a software update. Every time I tried to connect to wifi it did exactly what you described. I thought I was going crazy. I did a power cycle (hold down both scroll wheels) and it hasn't happened since.

I bought a new Y recently and was having WiFi issues even with an antenna in the garage. I did the two scroll wheel hold down reset and it fixed my WiFi issues and haven’t had any issues since.

Reactions: NorCal1
This exact thing was happening to me right when I got notified of a software update. Every time I tried to connect to wifi it did exactly what you described. I thought I was going crazy. I did a power cycle (hold down both scroll wheels) and it hasn't happened since.
I bought a new Y recently and was having WiFi issues even with an antenna in the garage. I did the two scroll wheel hold down reset and it fixed my WiFi issues and haven’t had any issues since.

Sounds like I'll be trying this next. Thanks for the tip!!!