Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife refuses to go in the Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely had some problems in our p- too. I agree tho, it's the suspension + regen + less smooth cruise (due to adaptive cruise's teenager like style of control). Add in a couple of uses of the right foot and it's no fun for a passenger at all.

I hate the idea of turning chill on and off - I -should- be able to deal with that by my right foot, but I may got it a shot. See if people are a bit happier.

I do think it's a hard car to drive smoothly. It's fine in traffic, and it's fine on an empty road. But on an open motorway with lorries that needs lots of lane changes it is tbh a bit of a sod. Would really appreciate a dumber version of cruise that only aborted within a few car lengths of something in front and just let me steer without touching the speed. I think it would help.

Does it not have options to set the distance between you and the car in front. Current car you set speed, and then set the safe distance from a vehicle in front, 1 - 5 bars?

Its does yes! Move the right scroll wheel left/right to change the follow distance. I usually have this set to 1 in slow traffic (so that it does'nt leave too much of a gap), but on motorways i find setting it to 3 or 4 provides much less aggressive braking/acceleration when the car in front slows down/speeds up.

Reactions: j1mgg
I do think it's a hard car to drive smoothly. It's fine in traffic, and it's fine on an empty road. But on an open motorway with lorries that needs lots of lane changes it is tbh a bit of a sod. Would really appreciate a dumber version of cruise that only aborted within a few car lengths of something in front and just let me steer without touching the speed. I think it would help.

The SR+ is clearly a different kettle of fish in that regard. It's a quick car but when under human control is spectacularly smooth ... more so than anything I've ever driven before. However, I definitely have experienced the unevenness when under Autopilot or TACC in the way described. I too would like an option to switch to dumb cruise control.

Even with the distance from the vehicle in front set to minimum, if you are catching up reasonably quickly, TACC starts to slow down 100m or more from the vehicle to be passed - far too early to pull out in most busy motorway situations. Clearly TACC doesn't know you are going to pull out, and if staying in lane, starting to slow down would be the right thing to do - but if intending to pass, speeding up might be better. Yet another tricky problem for the 'autonomous' FSD vehicle to crack.

Reactions: Doudeau and Adopado
I've found getting to use the accelerator less like a ICE and more like a Scalextric controller has helped with my nausea never mind my Mrs.
My Mrs hates rollercoasters and will not go back in the car let alone drive it - im not in a hurry to changer her mind ;)

I have found my M3P to be the easiest car I have ever owned to drive smoothly and fast.

The trick is to plan ahead, regen is so strong you virtually never need to use the brakes. The transition between accelerating and decelerating is the most important, if you do that steadily then it’s a comfortable journey, if that’s late or harsh it will feel very comfortable.

I rarely use full acceleration from standstill, it’s quite unpleasant but I might use full power if I have been able to build the speed up steadily.