Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife refuses to go in the Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife also complains of feeling sick if I drive quickly on roads with bends. I think it's mainly the instant acceleration not preceded by engine noise change or gear change so there is no warning. I try to be more progressive with the throttle so there is a bit more warning. And I only have an LR

Reactions: ringi
I learned my lesson over 20 years ago on a Suzuki GSX1100G. It's a shaft drive mild UJM. I took my wife on a scenic ride and I swear I did not go past 50% at any point, and rode no faster than you would in a SUV. My wife is an experienced motorcyclist, but with no M/C competition experience. She would not ride with me a second time. The 1100 is gone, the wife is still here, and all I have are single seat motorcycles now.

And yes, this also applies to cars. I can terrify people way too easily. Even in an economy car on a closed course with helmets on and no risk.

Pretend you are hypermiling when others are in the car. Or end up riding alone. Free advice is worth every penny in this case.

<One of our large sedans is now referred to as the Vomit Comet. It used to be called The Beast.>

Reactions: Dre78 and Avendit
I had several turbo'd ICE cars when younger, and they all made my wife nauseous, especially the Lotus Esprit Turbo HC. We just took the MS from the UK to French Alps and the wife lived it. Best drive ever. Super smooth, loved the pace of travel combined with pre planned charging breaks. Even winding mountain roads were trouble free. The lack of body roll and the adaptive suspension certainly helped.

Really has been a big success as she is quite prone to car sickness.

Let's be frank - the Model 3's suspension isn't the smoothest ride in town, but it's not the worst either. The seats are comfortable enough but if you look across at the headrest of the passenger seat whilst you are driving it's vibrating like a vibrating thingy that's vibrating a lot. If your wife happens to sit with her head resting on that headrest she is highly likely to feel unwell. Adjust her seating position is the advice.

Much of this is caused when you are the passenger. You have no warning of what is to come, so it all comes as a surprise, and you have no control over what the drive is going to do next.

Let your wife drive, and you will also experience the heightened anxiety of having no control.

The on/off acceleration and deceleration from regen can be uncomfortable for many - my father in law drives like that in his ICE car, either accelerating or braking, never coasting. Feels like a sawtooth wave rather than a gentler sine wave that backing off and coasting with gentle engine braking, then gentle braking would be

I guess you’d get used to it as a passenger but also as a driver you’d need to adapt to smoothing things out