Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WIFI connected but, will not download

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update 2019.36.2.2 has been available since we got to FL over two weeks ago. MX is parked 20' straight line view of router in garage with full strength WIFI and green check mark next to connected network. The update will just not download. Before I call SC and go into a holding pattern, I was hoping for any suggestions or advice from more experienced members.

I would never call the SC for anything (and how exactly do you call a SC these days...).

First reboot and then power off the car and wait five minutes without touching anything. This may clear a stuck download and Tesla will have you do this anyway.

If still no response call national support and see if they can check the logs and tell what’s going on.

I only deal with the Service Center when Support says take it in since appointments are three weeks out and no one ever answers the phone.

Screen says update 2019.36.2.2 is available and to connect to a WIFI network, which I am. Did the hard re-boot (power off for 2.5 min), same message. Good suggestion to call Tesla National, although, my SC, after a 15 min hold, walked me through a hard re=boot when MX was stuck in P. Funny thing about the re-boot, it came back to life by itself after 2 min (no brake pedal push or door opening).
Thanks for your feedback.

I have a 2016 Mx. I have been having this unable to connect or sometimes it gets connected after some 30 tries but still won’t download. the issue has been ongoing for months and after went in sc for three times and even changing the mcu. That damn thing is still the same. So now I can only update via ota after contacting the rep whenever there is a update available.

Sc rep said it’s my home router issue cause it connects and downloads in the sc just fine.

I believed him until recently my niece came to my house and connects her m3 to my house WiFi and did the update smoothly.

The rep also said that the dashcam won’t work in my Mx And does not play YouTube or netflix videos due to old hardware issues. Overall, Very disappointed and frustrated after all these wasted times. Sc has not been a very much help at all.

Hello Elon, I want a tesla that can update with any WiFi not just in the service center.

I have a 2016 Mx. I have been having this unable to connect or sometimes it gets connected after some 30 tries but still won’t download. the issue has been ongoing for months and after went in sc for three times and even changing the mcu. That damn thing is still the same. So now I can only update via ota after contacting the rep whenever there is a update available.

Sc rep said it’s my home router issue cause it connects and downloads in the sc just fine.

I believed him until recently my niece came to my house and connects her m3 to my house WiFi and did the update smoothly.

The rep also said that the dashcam won’t work in my Mx And does not play YouTube or netflix videos due to old hardware issues. Overall, Very disappointed and frustrated after all these wasted times. Sc has not been a very much help at all.

Hello Elon, I want a tesla that can update with any WiFi not just in the service center.
FYI: The Wifi in the Model 3 and Model x is quite different (we have both). The 3 will connect to 5ghz while the X will only connect to 2.4 and is a lot more selective about this. We have the same issue with the X. Close to one of the router satellites, gets full signal most of the time but won't download new versions.

FYI: The Wifi in the Model 3 and Model x is quite different (we have both). The 3 will connect to 5ghz while the X will only connect to 2.4 and is a lot more selective about this. We have the same issue with the X. Close to one of the router satellites, gets full signal most of the time but won't download new versions.

Some of these limitations disappeared with MCU2 (mid March 2018). My mid 2018 X support 5/2.4 Ghz.

But, you still need a strong signal. We had 2 access points in the house and we always saw them from the garage, but sometimes downloads would fail. So we put a 3rd access point in the garage right on top of the Model 3. See below. Now updates work every time!

garage-wifi-highlighted.jpg

Reactions: Janus and Tam
Some of these limitations disappeared with MCU2 (mid March 2018). My mid 2018 X support 5/2.4 Ghz.

But, you still need a strong signal. We had 2 access points in the house and we always saw them from the garage, but sometimes downloads would fail. So we put a 3rd access point in the garage right on top of the Model 3. See below. Now updates work every time!

View attachment 510918
No issue with the model 3 at all. Just our MCU1 x being very picky

I would never call the SC for anything (and how exactly do you call a SC these days...).

First reboot and then power off the car and wait five minutes without touching anything. This may clear a stuck download and Tesla will have you do this anyway.

If still no response call national support and see if they can check the logs and tell what’s going on.

I only deal with the Service Center when Support says take it in since appointments are three weeks out and no one ever answers the phone.[/QUOTE

I have the same problem with the first 2020 update to my X. I have done all the things that are suggested. I have placed my WiFI router 3 feet from the car. I have tried the email assistance function, but I still do not have the download. I also want to purchase an upgrade but don't dare spend that kind of money with no ability to download.

I have the same issue with the first 2020 update. IT been two month and I cannot get it to download. I have tried all the tricks including putting my WiFi extender 3 feet from the car. I have a great signal but no download.

I have used the customer service email app but they seem lost as to how to handle this.

Help !!

Here is how I do it: I called my SC yesterday and they looked in their system to see what, according to the mothership, the current highest version of the firmware is for MY region, MY specific configuration and thus for MY car: It's v2019.40.50.7 which is what's currently loaded into the car.

This saves me sobbing why my car is not getting any updates. There ARE NO UPDATES for my car at this moment. It's not my turn yet. They can't do all cars at the same time. I must wait my turn.
When it's my time, it will come and yes, I want 2020.something.something as much as the next person.

I have the same issue with the first 2020 update. IT been two month and I cannot get it to download. I have tried all the tricks including putting my WiFi extender 3 feet from the car. I have a great signal but no download.

I have used the customer service email app but they seem lost as to how to handle this.

Help !!
I just got my M3 back from body shop (rear ended on day 2!). I think I have the same issue. Any fix yet?