Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi connectivity issues with NEW MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI,
SC fixed the issue of not being able to reboot the New MCU with the scroll wheels by doing something they called a “12 volt pull”
(They said any SC would know what that means) It worked! Apparently the latest firmware.

Full details here:
Ok - Long Post Ahead.
Hopefully this is all new info that will help.
Picked up my new MS 100D today with new MCU and 7 miles on the odometer.
Car was close to perfect.
Zero issues until I attempted to drive away.
I had just paired my phone.
My foot touched the brake inadvertently. A message appeared on the IC indicating that service was required and something about Stearing Assistance being limited. I put it in drive. No power steering. Eventually the message cleared and the power steering worked again, however, oddly my phone was no longer paired, as if I never added it.
They pulled it out of the delivery area into the service drive.
Here’s what they did for me and a few things I learned.
First they fixed the issue of not being able to reboot the MCU with the scroll wheels by doing something they called a “12 volt pull”
(They said any SC would know what that means) It worked! Apparently the latest firmware does not resolve this issue.
There was an update waiting to be installed that they deleted from the car because a newer version was available. Then loaded 10.12 5eadc71.
They informed me that there is another bug (Drive Rail) that caused the loss of power steering and that latest firmware does not fix this either. So here’s what caused it. The door was opened when I pressed the brake. They said to be careful make certain that the door is closed and my seat belt is buckled before pressing the brake. Apparently, engineers are working on both issues.
I was unable to test AP as I only drove it 17 miles to the shop where it’s getting wrapped (SunTek Ultra + 2 coats of Gyeon Quartz G2 MOHS). It will take at least a week :-(
I do like the new navigation voice and IC views (see attached image)
View attachment 290098

View attachment 290097

I’m so glad to have joined, our first Tesla S 100D has the WiFi, sound and reboot issues. I thought it was just us. I feel better knowing I can track the resolution here.

Thanks for all the very helpful information. Love our new Tesla and this forum.

Jim

Reactions: Brettski
Any updates? I have the new MCU and had many of these issues on 2018.10.6, took to a service center where they did a hard reset and everything was resolved. I could even reboot with scroll wheels. Then I updated to 2018.10.12 and now I'm having all the same issues again and cannot reboot with the scroll wheels like before.

I’m so glad to have joined, our first Tesla S 100D has the WiFi, sound and reboot issues. I thought it was just us. I feel better knowing I can track the resolution here.

Thanks for all the very helpful information. Love our new Tesla and this forum.

Jim
Welcome to the Tesla community. After a few drives in your new MS, you'll never want to drive an ICE car again! Congrats.
I also just got a new MS 100D and having all same issues. I had an 85D for the last 3 years on lease. This will get fixed... just requires some patience. The new AP and Maps are large improvements vs. the prior versions.

After posting that our new S100D would not connect to the internet nor identify any wi-fi, this morning it was asking for the wi-fi password, connected after entry of the password and reconnected on my return home. Interestingly its still on 2018.10.6.

I might try the reset but not sure I want to spoil a good thing. The only change here is the temperature has increased but no other changes.

Jim

I just tried the reset and it worked, very surprised since it did not work after numerous attempts previously. I know I'm new at this but holding two buttons is within my abilities, I wonder what changed given the software version is still unchanged?

Jim

March 2018 build but I have not been able to confirm it has the new MCU. Vin ends in 243649, does that help?

I'm trying to learn but still drinking from the Tesla fire hose, some of you have a 6 year head start!

Jim
Enter this into your browser:
https://jsfiddle.net/qja8wjxc/30/show

And you will have your answer.
Hint to avoid having to type in the URL:
If you are using countersink from an iPhone or android you can paste this Link into the notes portion of a calendar entry for later today And then when you open up the Calendar app you can click on the link and it will open up in the browser.

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab
It only took about 40 minutes for the new update 2018 14 4d, I tried the reset and it work. Still connecting to our wi-fi after the update. Thanks to Daniellane I confirmed we have the new MCU.

Now our Tesla app lets us open the frunk and open and close the trunk. It also looks like the map shows the status of super chargers when they are displayed on the map. I don’t recall seeing the icon with the stalls occupied and in unused.

Jim

It only took about 40 minutes for the new update 2018 14 4d, I tried the reset and it work. Still connecting to our wi-fi after the update. Thanks to Daniellane I confirmed we have the new MCU.

Now our Tesla app lets us open the frunk and open and close the trunk. It also looks like the map shows the status of super chargers when they are displayed on the map. I don’t recall seeing the icon with the stalls occupied and in unused.

Jim
So 2018.4 fixes the resetting the MCU with the scroll wheels on the steering wheel?