Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will all Model S Ravens get the range boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that the miles given at full is kinda pointless. It’s more based on my driving habits. Even my ICE estimation can be off by 10% or more depending on other factors.

So....I don’t put too much stock in what the miles states. I just drive my car and it gets to where I need to go.

Reactions: Battpower
Some said all Model S/X since 1/1/2020.
well I hope that is true....mine was made 17 Jan 20.......was called yesterday to see If I wanted to come in for an extended range ride....asked if it was a software update or a hardware update.....she said it was hardware and I would have to pay for it......

I can say this, I just got updated to the new 2020.4.11 last night and this afternoon I got the 2020.8.1.....the big difference for me is a lot better regeneration for the brakes....much smoother and edging distance is much easier to control....

I am getting 324 on 90% charge....629 miles on two week old car....I cannot charge to 100%......only to around 98% which is 365 by computation (100/373=98/x..solve for x gets you 365). ....battery seems to be capped at 98% .......I have used supercharge to 90% 4 times and my home charger once to 90%......I was very concerned at home because it took 7 hrs to charge to 90% from 32%........when I went out this morning, I heard a high pitched whine......don't know how long it was doing that but drove to store and back.....still doing it when I got home....after another hour it stopped.....I am stumped....is this kind of noise normal?

edit: the above was with 2019.35.105 software....... I just got updated to the new 2020.4.11 last night and this afternoon I got the 2020.8.1.....the big difference for me is a lot better regeneration for the brakes....much smoother and judging distance is much easier to control....but I was only able to charge from 28% to 90% and got total range of 323 miles.....same as before, so I dont know about updates to 400 unless you pay for it

When you picked up your Model S, you should have been give a copy of the "Window Sticker." That has your date of manufacture noted on it. For example, mine with a last 3 digits of 464 was manufactured on November 11, 2019.
I did not get one with delivery....Had to go back and they came up with a copy of what looks like it.....top right has vin number and below that the date of manufacture which only states 01/2020....I have to have them pull up my account and show me the Tesla records that actually shows 17 Jan 20 as date of mfg....my car does seem to have everything......it came with 2019.35.105 software and I had to wait until last Wednesday before I got 2020.8, then on Wednesday I got 2020.8.1....runs absolutely great with the new one....Re-gen braking is great and the stop mode works even better......however, no range increase.....that will be a upgrade with a cost associated with it because they say it is a hardware change....go figure

I did not get one with delivery....Had to go back and they came up with a copy of what looks like it.....top right has vin number and below that the date of manufacture which only states 01/2020....I have to have them pull up my account and show me the Tesla records that actually shows 17 Jan 20 as date of mfg....my car does seem to have everything......it came with 2019.35.105 software and I had to wait until last Wednesday before I got 2020.8, then on Wednesday I got 2020.8.1....runs absolutely great with the new one....Re-gen braking is great and the stop mode works even better......however, no range increase.....that will be a upgrade with a cost associated with it because they say it is a hardware change....go figure

What is the hardware change that would give you the mileage?

have no idea....the girl at Tesla who called to ask if I wanted to go to the new 400mi range show at Costa Mesa delivery center told me that I was not going to get upgrade and it was hardware and I would have to pay for it......truly wonder what I really have

edit: BTW my mileage is as follows:
100% = 373 with un-capped battery
but since my battery is capped at 98%
100% = 365
90% = 335
but actual 90% is getting me only 322 miles

Although there has been loads of speculation, conjecture and supposition, I have not seen anything yet that targets exactly where range increase is being gained.

In any case, indicated range is much a function of the computer working out from the performance / consumption for each car over multiple journeys what range could reasonably be predicted. Your next journey could go against all previous evidence, rendering the range prediction way off and pointless.

I suspect that the actual range (or rather energy stored & vehicle efficiency) hasn't changed much at all except for the wheel trims. 'Getting a range boost' doesn't mean much, but the most reliable way of making the car predict a longer range is to tweek the range prediction algorithm.

When you consider the range of user experienced range for substantially similar cars, there is quite high varience.

I charged my 2019 S Raven to the highest daily level (actually a little lower than that). I would have expected to get 300 miles give or take. This time I got 315 with no obvious change other than 8.1 update. (Same 7kw charger, similar 5 to 6 deg C soaked battery.) I'm not too excited, other than just keeping an eye on things. Next time I'm about to do a longer trip, I will try leaving the car to balance for a few extra hours at 100% just to see what range prediction I get, but whatever the range is given as, it will always be the next drive that shows exactly what YOUR real energy use is for that specific journey and update your range prediction accordingly.

Need to find a new description for your issue only charging to 98%. “Capped” is going to continue to throw everyone including me off. Capped refers to Tesla quietly making a 100kw battery 98kw but indicating to the end user(us) 100% charge at this 98kw number.
thereby capping the battery at 98kw leaving 2kw or so for the safety/longevity or wanting to hide the degradation over the initial life of the battery to us etc.....(depending on who or what you believe)
Could be several reasons people think they may be capping the battery. you can see this sometimes by charging to 100% and then driving the car and watching the IC readout miles stay fixed on the same number for quite a few miles before it starts to go down.

Sorry one last thing. The readout on IC of range is NOT based on any previous drive results or energy usage ......it is simple math. You cars designed hidden value for efficiency of range per mile. For example mine is about 295wh per mile if I recall. The mileage available and displayed is that number times to available kWh of battery power available. My 75kw battery has a range of 249 miles from the factory advertised. 249x295 is about 73kw.

There is one place that number does reflect the last 5/15/30 miles driven. It’s on the energy app and shows to the right of graph(think it’s called “projected”) as an number that uses your recent average wh per mile for the calculation. This is helpful sometimes to see the range that is possible during a drive if your able to keep the current energy usage the same.

BTW. Take a look at the faint dotted line reference that goes across the energy graph. This is the number that is used for your “rated” miles calculation. If you can drive exactly at that that reference notice the number to the right I was just referencing above will have the same mileage available as the one on your IC. That’s the magic number you want to be below to achieve your “rated” miles car is displaying

Reactions: r1200gs4ok